SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbobul

Need advice on peanut feeding.

dbobul
5 years ago

I have provided peanuts in the shell to the birds for a few awhile now. I have grown to enjoy the jays coming and flying away with a peanut and watching the Downy Hairy and Redbellied woodpeckers the feeder has attracted as well. My feeders have also been a stop for a pair of Monk parakeets. So as you can tell I love to provide peanuts.

I bought them in bulk at a local feed store at 60-65 dollars for a 50 pound mesh bag and I would store them until needed. Upon my last visit I saw the price had skyrocketed to 80-something dollars. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I inquired on the major price hike and couldn’t get an answer. (I personally think someone forgot to change the price as it rose and suddenly someone figured it out they were giving them away)

i was mad, but still wanted to offer peanuts so I went with shelled peanuts which were a fraction of the cost for 50lb. I got a new Droll Yankees 13 inch New Generation Peanut Feeder. It has shelled peanuts in the tube in the descriptions photo. Great compromise right? Well if thought so.

Same peanuts in the tube for two weeks now. Hardly touched. I haven’t seen a blue jay in that time and can count on one hand how many woodpeckers I have seen. And to add insult to injury, my parrot pals sit on top of the feeder and screech. It’s like they are trying to tell me to not be a cheap-o and get the other kind of peanuts back. Everywhere I look that price seems to be about the same.

I need direction. I’m sitting on 49 3/4 lbs of shelled peanuts here. Part of me says I should have just dealt with the price hike and stuck with what I knew worked but then part of me says “man that is serious coin”

I remember posting about my peanut ring at first thinking it wasn’t no going to work and the consensus of the forum was to give it time? Am I overreacting to quickly? Will the birds figure this out? Thanks in advance.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida