SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
siyana_yordanova

Rose newbie wants to know your faves

Siana
5 years ago

Hello all, first time posting in this forum! I have a lot of experience with gardening, however somehow I have yet to plant a single rose, and know very little on the subject. I am in zone 6a in the Hudson Valley, NY, and have a 50 ft south facing stretch along the side of my driveway, where I would like to plant a row of roses. It gets about 6 hours of midday full sun. Currently I am in the process of ripping out a jungle of weeds and huge self-seeded wild roses that have served as a great privacy hedge from the neighbor, so I’m hoping whatever new goes in there will also grow to be in the 6-12ft range (or a combination of medium and taller). I will do whatever I can to prepare the area and give them an excellent start, so I will hold off on the planting until next spring if I have to. Meanwhile, I will put posts with wire to support any climbers, eradicate all weeds and make sure the soil is excellent. What I am looking for are light-medium pink and deep reds (not really into fuchsia and deep pink). Ideally they will be a combination of old-fashioned scented roses with one heavy flush, and some that will bloom throughout the summer, even if it is at the expense of scent. The small shrubs of knockout roses that you see everywhere are not what I am looking for - I’m dreaming of large vigorous plants with big blooms, the kind I remember from my childhood :) My area is humid so I need them to have good disease resistance - I’m able to provide a lot of care, but don’t want to spray any chemicals. I understand blackspot is inevitable, but hope to have big strong roses that are unfazed by it. Impulsively, I have bought several Queen Elizabeth grandiflora roses since it seems they grow tall, and several of the climbers Pearly Gates and Blaze Improved. I will keep them in a holding bed until their permanent spot is all set. In your experience, are those a good choice, and what other roses do you believe could work for me? Thank you in advance for any suggestions and advice!

Comments (19)