SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauren_williams43

Open concept kitchen, living room, dining room and entryway help

Lauren Williams
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

My husband and I just bought a new home with a very open concept layout. This is a new design challenge for us and also our first time in a fully remodeled home. We haven’t moved in yet, but I’m having trouble visualizing my furniture/ design/decorating style with some of the build style elements. I prefer Traditional / Farmhouse / French country design styles.

My main questions /challenges are:

1. I’m not crazy about the kitchen backsplash and gray tiles on the kitchen peninsula. I feel like they limit my options for a traditional design theme in the living and dining rooms. Any thoughts/ideas /suggestions for 1) different barstools (the white ones pictured are too obtrusive in my opinion)

and 2) living room furniture styles/layouts that would work with this kitchen would be greatly appreciated!

2. Limited storage space (no kitchen pantry, limited kitchen cabinet space). Our last house didn’t have a pantry either, so I think we can manage, but I’d love any advice for extending the kitchen storage without spending a fortune. Right now my thoughts are adding a credenza/buffet along the living room wall behind the couch and /or adding a rolling kitchen cart to the left of the fridge.

3. Creating a functional entryway or mudroom area on the back wall by the glass doors (that is the main entry point from the detached garage). I’d love to do wainscoting with coat hooks and a sideboard table or bench along this wall, or a hall tree, but I’d like it to look more like custom built-ins than a single piece of furniture. The wall is 90” wide from the door to the corner, and there is tile flooring extending 47.25” from the wall/doors.

I’m also planning to lighten the paint colors and add new rugs and curtains (my go-to is white or light beige linnen or cotton panels on black iron curtain rods).

I’ve attached some photos I have of the new house. Disregard the room with the stone fireplace, that is the Family room and will be the subject of a future post :).

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

Comments (5)