SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_35873677

My new baby...

User
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I don't know if anyone remembers a previous posting about a sad dog that the shelter wouldn't allow me to adopt...Letting go took me a while :(

Well here I am with a new dog :). She stole my heart.

She's a mix of who-knows-what and a total bundle of energy and love. She's also deaf. She's been in and out of the shelter and is now in her forever home. She just is so full of love that you can't help but love her back. Sure...she's a handful as she's only 9 months old and we're having to undo some questionable "training" practices, but she's teaching us to be patient and flexible (it's been ages since I had a rambunctious puppy in my house!). This is a rare photo of her in one spot!

She has blue eyes and one ear that clearly wants to be an antenna which is a bit sad ;).

Thanks for letting me share my joy!!!

Comments (30)

• User
    5 years ago

Congratulations to you both. Have you picked out a name yet? She looks like she might have some Great Dane in there somewhere.

User thanked User
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh, Sherry thank you!! Her name is Lola, but that's what she was listed as...so we kept it because we can't think of a reason to change it :) Plus it's easy to sign...

Yes, she has Great Dane feet if that's a thing--you know kind of knobbly...

• Related Discussions

My New Baby Necklace

Q

Comments (4)
    Congrats on your new little Crassula. These are quite forgiving, buy if the soil is too heavy and if your jar doesn't have a drainage hole it won't be good for the long run, because succulents need its soil to be rather dry to bone dry most of the time. The jar is very cute though. I'm not sure what white dust you mean, is there a close-up picture for the white spots? The plant looks rather healthy for now, but yeah see how it does in a week or two. Temperature wise I think you need worry not, but these do like quite a bit of sun and even thrives in direct sunlight. But yeah if you've decided to keep it as an office plant then hopefully it gets enough light through the windows. Also since it's indoor you don't need to water these very often, I water mine every 10-14 days, and ESPECIALLY if you're growing it in the jar then you gotta be careful not to give it too much water. Have fun and good luck!
    ...See More

I think I poisoned all my new baby figs :/

Q

Comments (3)
    Aaron, I hope they bounce back for you. I recently decided that it was time for my rooters to receive a little kick. My fears were exactly what happened to you. I decided to go with just two cuttings and see how they would react to the fertilizer. After reading your post , I'm glad I did. I used a very weak mix and so far all is well. Good luck.
    ...See More

My new babies!!!

Q

Comments (13)
    At Walmart the two song of India plants were dried up and brown. I don't think I could have saved them. Maybe I can find one later. I have tons of plants too. In almost every room of my house the windows are covered. There is still so many more I want to collect though. To me it's the greatest hobby!
    ...See More

My NEW Baby......

Q

Comments (5)
    Crown of thorns! I found it weird looking and decided to break off one the many medusa looking arms (from my wife's home), chuck it in normal potting soil. It grows like weed... It can grow very well under direct hot tropic sun as well as filtered sun in air conditioned location.
    ...See More
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Penny, YaHooo!!! Yes of course I remember your other post about the sad situation with the doggy. You posted it in the KT also.

Lola is beautiful. Such a lucky girl she is to have found her life with you. You must be over the moon happy.

Her ears look totally cute with one up and one down. Possiably both were supposed to be up but for some reason one didn't stand but that ok she's too dang cute. Arnt we lucky Penny. You might remember I have searched for a number of years for a Chihuahua Puppy and we finially have her..a tiny girl.

Yep we've been blessed Penny. Please keep us updated on Lola and a big congratulations on your new family member.

User thanked mamapinky0
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    5 years ago

What a cute dog! Congratulations! I have never had a deaf dog. How do you get her attention? Like stomping your foot for vibration until she looks at you? Did you have experience or do you learn along with her?

User thanked Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
  • bossyvossy
    5 years ago

God bless you for opening your home to Lola. I didnt realized you communicated by signing.

User thanked bossyvossy
  • cooper8828
    5 years ago

So adorable. Congratulations to both of you!

User thanked cooper8828
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you everyone for sharing my happiness! She is a joy to have around. Plus, she actually cuddles you!

Mama, thank you and I'm so happy for you, too, and yes, we are very lucky to get to have such happiness in our houses!

Iris, thank you. Yes, we can get her attention by banging on the floor or using a flashlight at night, but I usually simply go near her until she makes eye contact. We don't have experience with deaf dogs, so we're all learning. We take her to puppy classes at Petco and the trainer there just happened to previously have a deaf dog she worked with. Lola is VERY food motivated and we find that that's key to training. Plus the sign for "good (girl)" is just the thumbs up sign. And the sign for us being happy to see her is jazz hands... :) She's very good at reading facial expressions, too, as are hearing dogs (we just kind of disregard that aspect with a hearing dog although it's a great reinforcement)...

Bossyvossy thank you...we are lucky...there are many deaf dogs, sadly also blind dogs as it has to do with breeding. They need specific cells in their eardrums to be able to hear and those cells are the same that determine coat color...so white dogs are sometimes deaf. Deaf and blind dogs can also be trained but by using their sense of smell.

Cooper thank you very much. I came home tonight to doggy hugs! What could be better? She seems to know she's not in the shelter anymore. At least that's what we tell ourselves!

Enough of my gushing about my new girl... :)

• christine 5b
    5 years ago

Congrats, Lola is beautiful, they know when they have been rescued, I'm so happy for all of you. It's going to be fun teaching her how to swim. Keep posting pic's of Lola's new life in her forever home.

User thanked christine 5b
  • Ninapearl
    5 years ago

oh she looks as sweet as the day is long! congrats on your new baby and thank you for adopting a special needs pup. special because she's deaf but also special because she will enrich your lives in ways you don't even realize yet! i've worked with great dane rescue for years and know many people who have opened their homes to deafies. they always say they will have another and another, just something awesome about them.

as for training, you can get vibrating collars that come in very handy for getting their attention especially if they are out running and playing.

i was thinking "great dane" also and when i saw this..."she actually cuddles"...that just confirmed it for me!! LOL

looking forward to lots more pictures of lola!

User thanked Ninapearl
  • Mrs. S
    5 years ago

Beautiful girl. One ear up and one down is perfect.

User thanked Mrs. S
  • lucillle
    5 years ago

She is beautiful!!

User thanked lucillle
  • arkansas girl
    5 years ago

So cute! Once you've had her for a while, it will be easy to make eye contact because they watch us like a HAWK! HAHA! I can hardly do anything without my dog watching my every move.

Is there anything cuter than a dog with their nose tucked away in their legs fast asleep?! Precious!

User thanked arkansas girl
  • quasifish
    5 years ago

She is so, so beautiful and very lucky too! I'm so glad to run across this post as I remember the other post from the KT. Lola is going to bring so much joy into your life, and you into hers.

My old dog was deaf the last two years of her life and it was never an issue. I don't remember ever consciously starting to sign, it just sort of happened. It sounds like there is sort of a doggy sign language out there? We just improvised as we went, and thank goodness she always had pretty good eyesight. Arkansas girl is right though, she would look to us every couple of minutes, so even when she was out in the backyard, it never took long to get her attention. Hope it's going smoothly with Lola as you learn to communicate with one another.

Enjoy your beautiful dog!

User thanked quasifish
  • pricklypearcactus
    5 years ago

Congratulations! She is beautiful. I love her one up one down ear look. We use hand signals with our hearing dog. We did with our previous dog who lived to a nice old age and lost hearing in her later years. It is so wonderful that she found you and she now has a loving forever home!

User thanked pricklypearcactus
  • User
    5 years ago

What a cutie! I think she looks like a Doberman a little but her chest isn’t as large. They are known for being lovebugs (Velcro dog) and they also curl up in tiny balls like that. I have a Dobie myself.

User thanked User
  • ilovecomputers
    5 years ago

Bless you, dear, for saving her. "Her name was 'Lola.' She was a showgirl with yellow ribbons in her hair and a dress cut down to there..." Our dog died of a stroke in March and we are so lonesome. I will be interested to read your posts about training her. What a challenge, but what a wonderful thing you've done.

User thanked ilovecomputers
  • ilovecomputers
    5 years ago

Lo lo lo lola. Lola. (Sorry.)

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you so much for the good wishes! Things are still going very well here...she's learning what's acceptable behavior, although we're real pushovers in this house, so that doesn't say much! She knows the sign for "walk" (one hand flat, two fingers of the other hand "walking" on the palm) and she goes a bit mad with excitement...It's rather funny to get her worked up... :)

Ilovecomputers, I'm sorry for your loss...and the grieving happens in it's own time. Do you think you will you get another at some point? Every time we lose one we say never again...it's so difficult. But then they give so much love and are such great company. (Also, I sing those two songs a LOT!)

Here's Lola putting a few plants in...and...she was not a white dog by the time she was done, lol

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow. I would be touched, too :)

Clearly many rocks have to be examined and discarded before just the right rock is discovered...Labor of love, for sure.

And thank you, My3dogs :)

• ilovecomputers
    5 years ago

I love that picture of Lola helping with the gardening chores. Yes, we hope to get another dog very soon. If I can figure out how to send you a private message, pennydesign, I will do so.

• Ninapearl
    5 years ago

danes LOVE to dig!! i think you should do a DNA test to see what breeds pop up. i'd just about bet my last nickel that this sweetie has some dane in her. ;)

i have a facebook friend who lives in the UK and rescues only deaf and/or blind danes. she has 7 at the moment, all of them pure white. to watch the videos of all of them running and playing is nothing short of amazing! three of them are totally deaf and blind. it's beyond me how they don't crash and burn!

User thanked Ninapearl
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It's official. I am so freaking stupid for this dog! I'm kind of embarrassed.

I don't know if it's because she's deaf or if it's because of how she might have been treated before, but when she sleeps she HAS to be touching a person. Naturally, when I sit (as I am now) being a lazy-a**, she'll curl up next to me and nap. So I'm obliged to not move until her nap is over....It's my job and I take it seriously. I will not fail her in this :)

(Oh what pets reduce us to!!)

Pic of the day...

"Mom, you sneaked into the kitchen without me!!"

• Ninapearl
    5 years ago

oh sheesh! that just seals it for me, she HAS to be part dane!!! that "touching me" thing is soooo typical of danes. i'm so happy for you, there's just nothing like that special bond, it can't be beat. <3

User thanked Ninapearl
  • nannygoat18
    5 years ago

Penny, after 2 1/2 years, my pup finally realized that I am more than a meal ticket and fell in love with me, so I'm at your "stupid stage"---fingers and paws crossed that we won't move past it........

User thanked nannygoat18
  • socks
    5 years ago

Love the pictures and continued story! You are having so much fun with this dear dog.

(We had a cat like that: if she was on your lap, everyone had to wait on you because you could not disturb the cat by getting up!)

User thanked socks
  • share_oh
    5 years ago

OMG I love those ears!

Congrats on your Lola - I have one too - probably the polar opposite since she's a black toy poodle! LOL

Your Lola is a lucky girl to have found you!

User thanked share_oh
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone for you kind words and interest...

Pet people are the best :)

• Rachel Campbell
    5 years ago

She is beautiful. Her coloring and deafness is likely a congenital issue. It occurs more often in several different breeds (Harlequin Great Danes are on that list), and referred to as "excessive white." There's no pigment in her inner ear. My Aussie's excessive white is due to two merle Aussies being bred together (double merle - a no-no for breeders). Lola may also experience blindness in the future for the same reason. There are a lot of studies out there now, more than you could find just five years ago. Regardless of all that, I'm sure Lola will be loved to pieces and she'll adapt like most dogs do!

User thanked Rachel Campbell
  • ilovecomputers
    5 years ago

I'm not sure the need to touch is only a Great Dane trait. Our late schnauzer was the same way. She slept between my husband and me. Before laying down, she would circle around counter-clockwise 3 times and then just drop down. After a minute or two, one of her legs would kick out to touch one of us. We called it her radar.