SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
todo23

Help! Stairs look horrible!

Todo23
6 years ago

So my spouse and I recently decided to refinish our hardwood floors and staircase. There was nothing wrong with it other than the color. The living room, bedrooms and hallway were white oak and the staircase red oak. We decided that we wanted to go dark and settled on Spanish Oak penetrating stain by Old Masters (Old Masters being the stain our re-finisher prefers).

My staircase looks awful! We obviously aren't happy with it and wanted to resolve the issue before the poly coat was applied however our re-finisher thinks we are being "too picky" and that the wood has imperfections in it therefore it will not look like a prefinished/ engineered wood. I am obviously not an expert in flooring/refinishing however I feel like this is not an acceptable job and that stain application was rushed because time was lost re-sanding the stairs twice.

The first time the stairs were sanded by hand due to all the grooves in the posts. This didn’t allow the stain to absorb the dark color correctly and therefore required to be completely re-sanded a second time by machine. The stain has taken darker now but we are left with blotchy stain. I feel like we once again need to sand it all down and start again which is turning into a nightmare.

To top it off, the person we have hired has decided to quit today and suggested that we find someone else to finish the job because we are being “too picky” and that this is as good as we are going to get. Thoughts!? Are we being too picky here!? Is there a way to fix this??

Ps: trim is to be painted white

Comments (18)