SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gpican

Marble vs. Quartzite

gpican
5 years ago

I am looking to get some advice from folks who have actually lived with and experienced these two stones. I've 'heard' all the same things everyone else does, so i'm looking for people who have legit experience with this at this point.

So, I picked out a countertop that I am 100% sold on and in LOVE with at my stone supplier. You know the kind?! The one you know you're going to walk into your kitchen for the rest of your life and think "MAN, I love my counter" ...... You can imagine me disappointment when I learned (on my own) that what they told me was Quartzite was actually Marble. When I called them to clarify, they did in fact tell me it was "Geologically Marble" but that it is an "Older Marble" (Bianco Olinda) as opposed to a young marble like Carrerra Marble and is therefore harder than the younger marbles making it a little closer to a Quartzite.

Fine. That's all to the good.

With that said, now I'm aware that it's actually Marble. I know all the 'warnings' and I've had all the naysayers that everyone else has had about not choosing marble. I'm aware of the chances that I would take to have it, and I'm also aware that it would need to be sealed AND I would STILL need to be super careful/diligent in preserving it, and even then,,, I wouldn't be able to stop the inevitable etching and possible staining. Good, Got it.

BUT my question is: say I chose to go with a true Quartzite because I was just too scared of that Marble and not willing to take the chance in a countertop that was less than what it was when i bought it a few yrs. ago, well, would I find myself in a year, two, three whatever it takes.... still having etching and staining with Quartzite? Would I still be living on pins and needles around my quartzite? because if that's so.....and I'm gonna end up with a counter top that etches, stains, and makes me nervous everytime I look at it like the Marble would have; Then why not go with the one I'm in love with?

Does anyone have some expert adivce (and by expert, i mean you've lived with) quartzite for a few yrs? what's your experience with it? Are you subjected to all the same worries and fears that a Marble counter top would give you?

Please help!!!

Comments (28)