SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_49296678

Kitchen Design Conundrum

User
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I am renovating my kitchen. It is 30 years old, original appliances, and just has to go.

I am wanting to open up the kitchen to the living room as well so am considering taking out the fridge/pantry in the original design and replacing it with a breakfast bar so you can see over that into the family room.

I have attached three drawings. The first is an overview of the whole floor. The second is the initial sketch showing placement of cupboards, appliances etc. The third sketch is the 'final' plan with a bigger shifted island. It has the pantry/fridge crossed out to show where the breakfast bar will go. The second and third sketches are zoomed in drawings of the kitchen in the first sketch. All the main dimensions are included. The dining area can't really be encroached on as it will become too small. So the breakfast bar can't go there. Plus the fridge is along that wall.

A few concerns:

Really want to have a landing area to the left of the sink. To do that requires the island to be bigger and the space between 'island' and fridge to be only 26 inches. Possibly a bit less if the overhanging counter to the left of sink is cut at 45 degrees. I already have a similar 26 inch opening in my current kitchen and it has never bothered me. And the island/ fridge only overlap 4-6 inches.

In order to allow for as little overlap as possible and have the most room between stove and dishwasher I have the island moved toward the desk area so there is only a 31-33" space between desk and island. Not a lot of room but it only needs to fit a desk chair.

The breakfast bar is a little out of the flow of the kitchen but not sure there is any other option. There isn't really anywhere else for it to go. I don't want to get rid of the desk or a bar could go on the other side of the island. But it is only about 9 feet from the centre of the breakfast bar to the sink. So not exactly a long way.

The fridge has french doors so they won't swing into the island.

It is not a perfect solution but I think it will be pretty good.

White cabinets, darker engineered hardwood (extending into the dining room and living room, and quartz counters (also darker).

Lighting will be mostly pot lighting with pendant lights over the island and breakfast bar.

Comments (6)