How can I be sure my tree has died?

fletch

I planted a Japanese cherry tree in my front yard 5 years ago. It seemed to be fine until recently. For down south, we had a hard winter and we lost our roses and orange tree as well. But my sister saw my fb post about it last night and thought the tree was too established for the cold to get it and thought maybe it's a disease and i should leave it alone for awhile to see if it recovers. Problem is , we already bought another tree over the weekend (Green Giant Evergreen) to take it's place.

The weird thing is the Japanese Cherry has an extra root or something and it has a side growth that is growing around the main tree and it is fine. It's just the main tree.

Lowes said the Green Giant should be ok in the bucket for about a month and after that we needed to plant it or get a bigger bucket.

Is there anyway to know for sure - other than waiting a long time to see if the tree is really dead or not?

Thanks

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Try posting some photos that show the tree clearly and in some detail. Most flowering or Japanese cherries are grafted onto a different, hardier rootstock and it sounds like that is what is actively growing, with the scion or topgrowth having died off.

Save    
Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

From the photo it looks like gardengal was correct. Probably best to remove it and replace with a hardier ornamental tree. Oh, and by the way, this is the native plant forum, and JAPANESE cherries aren't native (except in Japan) : )

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
The Polite House The Polite House: What Can I Do About My Neighbors’ Trash Cans?
If you’re tired of staring at unsightly garbage way before pickup day, it’s time to have some tough conversations
Full Story
I. DIE. The Rachel Zoe Project Is Back
As Season 4 premiers we visit some fashion-forward rooms this tastemaker would appreciate
Full Story
Houseplants See How Fiddleleaf Fig Trees Can Liven Up Your Decor
The tropical houseplant with big green leaves adds a cheerful and striking design element to rooms
Full Story