SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebecca_adia

Range hood mounted too high? Slap me in the face, please.

rebecca_adia
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

So as many of you know we just moved into a new house and I’ve been doing some minor changes.

One that I was so excited about, and that I paid someone to do instead of being able to do it myself – since I didn’t have the skills – was to install a range hood.( Well, I tore down the circa 1990 over the range microwave myself and took out an upper cabinet )- but then I paid someone $800 to have the range hood installed, wired and have it ducted to the exterior. They weren’t able to do the work on a day when I was able to be home so I was there to get them started and then came home to it being done, left a key for them to lock up.

Now I’m really kicking myself for that because I was so excited about this hood —but I now feel that perhaps it was mounted too high. both for my aesthetic preference as well as now for functionality and cooking .

I cook a fair bit, but we got a very basic lower end gas range. (Because I’d rather spend money on expensive light fixtures, ha.) And I do very basic cooking -cooking doesn’t feel my soul, it just feeds my family and myself more cheaply than restaurants.

Thus with our 30 inch range we stuck to a 30 inch hood, with 400 CFM. They mounted it about 32” from the range. I think I would’ve preferred 27 or so.

However I wasn’t too unhappy about it until this morning when I slightly burned something on the stove. I did not feel like the hood,

mounted at its current height, really helped .

Can anyone either talk some sense into me, or

validate my concerns? I’m now wondering if I should’ve had the hood mounted lower, if I should’ve bought a more powerful hood — and here’s the niggling thought that I really need to be shaken out of if at all possible—-should I just call the guys who installed it and get them to move it lower?(I’m sure that wouldnt be free)

Any and all thoughts appreciated!

Please ignore: the crown molding at the top cabinets that needs to be repaired, the general fingerprints all over the range hood and range, the cabinets w partially missing hardware and marks left from microwave removal, the general detritus on the counters, and design-wise please ignore the lack of a backsplash,one will go in at some point.

Edited to add: I think the Houzz posts have a way of kind of ‘squashing’ photos— The distance looks less pronounced when I view my post and everything in general just looks shorter and squatter. Not sure why.

Comments (38)