SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blazedog37

Kohler Artifacts Faucet - Or Alternatives

Helen
6 years ago

I like the Kohler Artifacts Faucet as it seems to be a nice compromise between form and function.

I will be getting fixtures for my kitchen in oil rubbed bronze finish.

I've been looking at the alternatives on the internet to see if there were any other faucets that had the combination I'm looking for - slightly period - pull down - one handle - not too many nooks and crannies to simplify cleaning - fairly high arc.

I had thought I wanted a faucet with touch capabilities but I am willing to scrap that since none of the styles I like seem to come with that option.

The other style I am thinking of is this Brizo. Not sure if that piece that looks like an erector set is gimmicky or adds some functionality in terms of positioning the faucet. FWIW, I will have a 36" single bowl sink.

D64225LFRB "ARTESSO" PULL-OUT SPRAY KITCHEN FAUCET

Comments (29)

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

I like the Artifacts much better than the Brizo. There is something about the Kohler Karbon I like very much as well- while it looks sleek and industrial- it looks so functional that it is a bit old fashioned looking somehow.

Helen thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • Helen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks. I think the Carbon would be a bit too contemporary for the rest of my kitchen but it certainly is a great looking faucet for the right space.

• Related Discussions

cheaper alternative to kohler memoirs?

Q

Comments (3)
    American Standard Townsend, Town Square, Boulevard & Antiquity are all similar styles to Kohler Memoirs, but don't know if they're going to save you much if anything. If you really like the Memoirs, I would keep watch on eBay. There are several Habitat Restores that end up with various pieces that they list on eBay at a really good price--I once saw a Kohler Finial faucet ($$$$$) go for less than 1/2 of the lowest retail I could find. They will usually list the items as 'Used', but if you look, they have the original boxes and many critical parts are still sealed in the original plastic. If you prefer to go the retail or online route, I would check eFaucets.com, plumbersurplus.com, & csnstores.com to name a few. Good luck to you!
    ...See More

Kohler Stages alternative in different material?

Q

Comments (6)
    Kohler is regularly snooping on my website (I assume they are looking for ideas to use). I believe they used our Signature Series sink as a model for their Stages sink. Our Signature Series sink is a better (but similar) size and is available in copper and stainless. I generally don't put links back to my site, as I don't want this forum to feel like I am trolling for sales. That is not the case at all. Since no alternative was given, I felt I should offer one rather than stay silent. The sink shown above in white is merely exposing the flange of the sink so the cutting board can rest on it. That can be done with just about any under mount sink. There is a huge issue with that type of installation in my opinion. There is a point where the counter meets the sink. That area will constantly be bombarded with water. The seal will likely become compromised and could go unnoticed for a long enough time for damage to the cabinet to occur without you realizing it. It is also an area where caulk will likely discolor over time. Here is a link that might be useful: Signature Series Sink
    ...See More

Anyone have this Koehler Artifacts faucet?

Q

Comments (5)
    I also have the pull down version as the folks above, and the smaller bar sink version without pull down spray, in both my bar sink and laundry sink. Which I think is similar to what you linked to. I love all three, very solid and well built. Mine are the vibrant stainless finish and it’s gorgeous. Have you considered the integral pull down spray version? Has three settings, as mentioned above, the berry spray setting is a great feature.
    ...See More

anything comparable to kohler artifacts but less expensive?

Q

Comments (3)
    I've purchased a lot of very nice plumbing including the shorter version of the Artifacts kitchen faucet from Amazon Warehouse. I suggest only purchasing if it is marked as 'Like New' or 'Very Good'. Have never had to return anything. Most items have come with the pieces still sealed in plastic. Just received a beautiful bath faucet this week in perfect condition and saved hundreds.
    ...See More
  • caligirl5
    6 years ago

I'm happy with my Delta Cassidy and how it fits in my 1915 home.

Helen thanked caligirl5
  • Helen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here's a picture of the Kohler Artisans for those unfamiliar with the style.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

I do like these two Rohl faucets too.

They just feel cleaner yet still have that old fashioned feel to them. Helen you and I both love arts and crafts. :)

Helen thanked cpartist
  • Helen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes - I liked Arts & Crafts before I knew it was Arts & Crafts - I picked up a Mission Arm Chair at the Salvation Army for 25 cents in college :-)

• Helen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I will be heading to look at faucets in person next week so these suggestions are all very helpful.

The picture of the Kohler Artifacts in the oiled bronze looks as though there are lighter tones peeking through which would be a nice complement to the copper sink I am installing - but photos on the internet can be deceptive.

The Rohl are a smidgeon less frou frou - at least from the photo.

My father swore by Delta faucets - he did all my plumbing :-) and the price point is about half of the Kohler or Brizo which is nothing to sneeze at. I think of a faucet as being something relatively easy to upgrade down the road versus counters, tiles or cabinets.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Yes - I liked Arts & Crafts before I knew it was Arts & Crafts - I picked up a Mission Arm Chair at the Salvation Army for 25 cents in college :-)

I've been in love with it since my first house back in 1987. I'm a member of several arts and crafts forums on FB. My newly built home was inspired by arts and crafts homes. Unfortunately, while I would have loved to put stained wood for all the woodwork, that would have blown my budget so only my fireplace, island, and bathroom vanity are in quarter sawn oak.

However I keep telling myself that many houses that were built in the early 20's in Florida had painted woodwork originally.

FYI, Brizo is a subsidy of Delta. It's their "designer" line.

Helen thanked cpartist
  • Helen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm sure all the faucets are solid construction so it comes down to which one I like the most when I see it in person. I find it extremely helpful to be able to research possibilities as much as possible before I do a field trip :-)

I was reading something about faucet technology :-) and evidently Delta was the first modern faucet that had some kind of new innovation (I mean we are talking more than 60 or so years here :-)) which made them the brand which became the most widely installed and therefore a default faucet brand for lots of plumbers. I just got rid of the Delta faucet my father installed for me years ago - ugly but a true warhorse as it always worked and never leaked. :-)

I had never thought of copper in terms of an element in the kitchen - I didn't mention it to my designer when we met. I only told her that I didn't want beige, gray or white and that I liked Art Deco, Arts & Craft, Frank Lloyd Wright, William Morris etc. and she came back with the idea of the copper sink and coved ceiling. She was blown away when I told her that my father had started life as an apprentice coppersmith in the US Naval Shipyards. :-)

• Helen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oneridgeoff: I just checked the Delta Cassidy and unfortunately, at least on their website, it doesn't have a pull down spray option with a high arc available unless I opt for the one with the touch technology.

Reading the reviews of the touch technology for all the brands has made me hesitant as there seem to be a lot of failures - I don't know whether it's because people with issues tend to review more or whether it's that the technology is wonky. But before I move ahead, I will definitely do more research on the technology to make a better informed decision.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

I just checked the Delta Cassidy and unfortunately, at least on their website, it doesn't have a pull down spray option with a high arc available unless I opt for the one with the touch technology.

That's just their website being annoying, which it always is:

https://www.build.com/delta-9197-dst-kitchen-faucet/s782666?uid=2020156

Helen thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • Helen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks writersblock - I added the Delta Cassidy to my "Notes" to check on in person next week. The finishes seem to differ in photos so that will be critical in terms of my decision. At least faucets are somewhat at the end of the line in terms of when a decision needs to be made.

I am going through tranches of decisions - just more or less finalized fabric for living room - tested dining room chairs and can move on from those :-)

• Helen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

cpartist: The pro part of remodeling a relatively small space is that the actual material cost isn't that significant a part of my costs so I can (within reason) choose relatively expensive finishes since the end cost for my small bathroom or kitchen is probably more or less the same as someone who had to go with lower cost materials. And the labor to install the shower (and all the waterproofing elements etc. being supplied by the GC) is still far more than the expensive for example than the relatively expensive tile and marble I am using so selecting less expensive tile would not have appreciably decreased the cost of the shower since it's so labor intensive.

Of course the con part of a small space is that it is a small space and therefore I have to make a lot of decisions based on it being a small space.

• OneRidgeOff
    5 years ago

I do understand Decision Overload, I was just about ready to return to normal life with my gut kitchen complete. Then the master bath immediately above new kitchen started leaking (luckily while my plumber was still on site, to halt it before major damage) I had been hoping to live with it’s 1982 “charm” lol for a while longer. But multiple plumbing leaks and substandard tile install from the original build (tile directly on drywall) meant- CHAOS - and start the decision cycle anew for a bath gut. Helen, I’ll try to get you better kitchen reveal shots when bath job chaos is over!

Helen thanked OneRidgeOff
  • Helen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OneRidgeOff - Between my designer and this forum, I feel that once I have made a decision, I am at peace with it and can put it to bed and start worrying about the next decision rather than spend a lot of emotional energy second guessing a choice.

Every once in awhile I will start going completely off the rails and think I should have gone in a completely different direction when I see a photo of something. There are so many beautiful choices even within the types of designs I am attracted to - in another life, I would love to have a 1950's turquoise and pink kitchen with Big Chill appliances :-). In psychological terms, it's harder to make approach approach decisions and easier to make avoid avoid decisions - i.e. it's easier for most people to determine which outcome they would LEAST like versus which outcome they would most like.

And of course my decorating mantra has always been that I will absolutely hate something once delivered and then in a week it has become part of my visual background - except for the first sofa I bought based on a swatch which worked into a fashionable but unloved by me pattern :-( And the sofa was so well made and the fabric so durable that I had to live with it far longer than I wanted.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

OT, cpartist,

With respect to Arts & Craft style houses with white woodwork. In Northern California, we have a house built by Greene and Greene where the woodwork is white. The house was built on the SF peninsula in the early 20th C. as a summer home for a San Francisco family and they wanted light interiors. Fortunately, the house has stayed in the family and was recently updated.

https://www.almanacnews.com/morgue/1999/1999_01_06.fleischh.html

• Helen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I might wind up going with this faucet which is recommended by my designer. The cost savings is phenomenal and she says the quality is comparable to better known brands because they don't take the same mark up and she can pass along the savings since it would be her trade cost plus her fee.

I just got the estimate for the tiles I love and I am staggering a bit at the invoice. Trying to decide whether to use the tiles I love for the guest bathroom or more standard 4" x 4" tiles which are a lot less expensive but not what makes my heart sing :-(

At any rate, a faucet doesn't have to be forever since it's a relatively easy fix if it doesn't work out unlike cabinets, tiles, flooring or fixtures for the shower :-) It's not quite as pretty as the others or as striking as the Brizo but it's also not $1000 LOL

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

That's the Moen? It's a good brand.

Helen thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • Helen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It's not a Moen. It's from Premier Copper, a company my designer is familiar with and she says the faucet is somehow affiliated with other better known faucet companies.

The savings is really significant and if it doesn't last as long as a $1000 faucet, it's a really easy item to change and it doesn't entail any kind of retrofitting.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

I feel that once I have made a decision, I am at peace with it and can put it to bed and start worrying about the next decision rather than spend a lot of emotional energy second guessing a choice.

I am exactly the same way. I'll research choices forever, but once I find what I want, then I'm at peace with it.

With respect to Arts & Craft style houses with white woodwork. In Northern California, we have a house built by Greene and Greene where the woodwork is white. The house was built on the SF peninsula in the early 20th C. as a summer home for a San Francisco family and they wanted light interiors. Fortunately, the house has stayed in the family and was recently updated.

Thank you for that!

In reality, my first house was a 1927 craftsman bungalow in Long Beach, NY. My ex and I bought the house from the daughter of the original owner and builder of the house back in 1987. When we went into the house the first time, all the walls, ceiling and woodwork were painted a harvest gold color. The floors had harvest gold carpeting.

I asked the woman (she was 80 at the time) if the woodwork had been originally stained, as I figured if it had been, I'd strip it back. She answered that no, it had always been painted. So we removed the carpeting to find original maple floors with walnut strips and painted the trim and ceilings white and the walls craftsman colors.

My point being that I know that many craftsman houses, especially in FL had always had painted woodwork. It's just that I absolutely love and adore natural woodwork.

• OneRidgeOff
    5 years ago

Helen, I remember my first sticker shock at picking backsplash tile. Initial choice over budget and an 8 week lead time. I went searching and found tiles that made my heart sing even louder, $18 a square and ready to ship/in stock. My blue tiles you saw before. Seneca Tiles from Ohio, maybe you can check them out. Not sure what look you’re going for, their glazes are gorgeous, very Arts and Crafts.

• OneRidgeOff
    5 years ago

I may go with one of these for my copper themed bathroom. (Blue lagoon is my kitchen)

• lucky998877
    5 years ago

Helen, I have a Premier in my kitchen. I was very hesitant to get it because I had never heard of it.... It's been 5 years now, and its function and finish could not be better! It's a heavy, solid faucet and I would absolutely reuse it if the bronze finish went with my new kitchen design. We will reuse it in the garage :) My husband is a GC and has dealt with his share of faucets. He was impressed how solid it was when he installed it.

Helen thanked lucky998877
  • Helen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

luckyblueeye: That is great to hear about the Premiere faucet. I really should stop questioning anything she recommends as she is extremely knowledgeable even on technical stuff like plumbing and construction and since she gets a markup, it is to HER advantage upsell me on stuff.

Oneridgeoff: She had redesigned the tile in the bathrooms to save me money and so the invoice for tiles reflected the redesigned element. I put back the copper penny tile accents in the master bath because the square footage was de minimis versus what they added to the design but the guest bathroom is 122 square feet since it's on the walls and shower. :-(

Oneridgeoff - I will check out Seneca tiles - that blue tile is gorgeous - to see what is available in the colors I want. I haven't seen the 4" x 4" in person she proposed as an alternative less costly tile for the guest bath so I don't know if it is as unattractive as the printout since printouts are the least reliable color source -

Your other other tiles are also lovely but that shape would make them compete with the rest of the design elements.

FWIW - I am getting some copper subway tiles from Premiere so you might want to explore that source if you are doing a copper kitchen.

Premiere Copper Products

Copper Tiles

I might wind up getting a copper hood from them depending on the price versus the wood cabinet enclosure I had planned - depending on price for it.

I am getting one of their sinks for the guest bathroom and now the designer thinks I should go with a copper sink in the master instead of the white originally planned but I can post THAT design dilemma in another thread :-)

• Helen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oneridgeoff - Is that $18 a square foot or $18 per square piece?

• OneRidgeOff
    5 years ago

I don’t know the other sizes, but the 2x8 brick shape in Seneca studio line was $18 sq ft.

Helen thanked OneRidgeOff
  • Helen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for clarifying. You had left off foot so wasn’t sure of what the $18 covered since my invoice has per piece price, number of pieces in box and number of square feet needed.

• HU-920759294
    2 years ago

I saw this Brizo Artesso in a showroom and while it looks nice it was finicky to move around. It also felt stiff. I need to have a faucet that's going to move smoothly when I get busy in the kitchen.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting