SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
qwertyjackie

Help with location for detached garage

6 years ago

Wise Houzzers, I would like some opinions / advice. We live on approx. ½ acre lot which is sort of a wedge shape, wider in the front and gets narrower in the back. Due to zoning / being in a historic district, garages must be detached and behind the house. Our current “garage” is in desperate need of repair/replacement. We are unhappy with the current location which essentially cuts our back yard in half and blocks our view from our back porch. We are proposing moving the garage to the left side of our property so it would be a straight drive in from our driveway.

Our current garage is approx. 20 x 18. We are thinking the new garage would be 20 x 30. We live on a busy main road, so we need to be able to turn around and head out face first, backing out is not a viable option for every day. We do not park in our current garage. One car is parked between it and our porch and one is parked in front of it. We are able to back both cars up to turn around and head out face first currently.

Due to the size and shape of our lot, any place we build a new garage will require a variance, so for arguments sake the setbacks / lot coverage does not matter.

My questions:

Does the proposed location make sense? As an aside, to the left of our property is a “community garden” which I would be happy to have screening from. The rear of our property is wooded and we would like to see as much of that as possible.

How much driveway do you think is needed to be able to back out of the garage, turn, and be head first down the driveway?

Is 20 x 30 big enough to reasonably fit 2 (possibly 3 cars) plus lawn mower, snow blower, etc. I say possibly 3 cars as we have a 2 seat roadster which doesn’t get daily use we planned to put horizontally across the back (on car wheel dollys). Is this a crazy thought?

Any other comments / suggestions?

Thank You!

Rough outline of property

Comments (10)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor