SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_gravernelson

Help with quartz countertop "finish"

Mary N
6 years ago

We just purchased a "flip" house. Most of the work done was fine, but I have questions about the normalcy of the black quartz counters.

Any time water touches the counter and is wiped away more than a few seconds later, a kind of "ghost spot" is left behind. It doesn't necessarily show through when the counter dries. Our water is softened.

I've also noticed the edges of the counter are very dull. They don't match the high gloss finish of the top. Are they supposed to? I used Formula 409 in a test spot on the edge this morning and rubbed vigorously with a cotton towel and it seemed to shine up slightly, but there's still a weird un-polishedness about it, or a haze.

It seems to scratch ridiculously easy. I was putting heavy duty aluminum foil over a plate the other day and where the foil slightly dragged across the counter in the process appeared to "scratch" it in so many placed. Could it just be "scratching" a sealant or something? I thought quartz wasn't supposed to be sealed?

I do not know the manufacturer.

My question is, does it sound/look like this counter is just a dud, or was improperly sealed when installed? Can I fix it myself? Or are these typical quartz things I just have to get used to?

Thanks for reading!

Comments (13)