SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaj2014

Looking for landscaping ideas for backyard zone 7

6 years ago

We spent the last few years removing overgrown and diseased trees and plants from our year. We rebuilt the retaining wall around our backyard and put up a 6 ft privacy fence. We also just completed a second story deck and patio combination. I am looking at adding plants to the backyard but I keep getting stuck on the design. I have selected two Tupelo Tower trees for the yard and would like to incorporate them with a mix of medium height evergreens and some limelight hydrangeas. We get full sun in our backyard and I would like the evergreens to provide some shade and winder interest. We have young kids, so I would like to keep plenty of grassed area for play so I would like the beds to stay relatively narrow. I would like to start with the bed on the right of the gate can be expanded to about 8 feet and that section is about 24 feet long

. Can anyone help with ideas of how to mix and arrange the plants and trees to look good? I think my preference would be for some kind of mixed evergreen arrangement, but I am struggling to pull it together.

I've considered Slender Hinoki Cypress, Hetzi Juniper, Spartan Juniper, Moonlight Juniper. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We are in Northern Virginia. This picture is of the area from the second story deck.

Comments (3)