Baptisia seedlings

docmom_gw(5)

There is a beautiful Baptisia plant at the entrance to my office building. Today I noticed a ton of seedlings popping up around the plant center. I collected a bunch and put them in small pots in my apartment under lights. My hope is to take them over Memorial Day weekend to my sister in Michigan, who has acreage to plant natives, How long can they tolerate being in artificial surroundings, and how deep will their roots grow in threee weeks?

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beesneeds(zone 6)

If you collected them already popping up.. and if you have similar outdoor space at home, you shouldn't need to keep them under lights at this point. And depending on what size pot you put them into, like if you crammed a pot full or gave them a bit of room, they should be fine for 3 weeks so long as you treat them well.

Save    
neen_5mi(z5 MI)

She's in a high rise apartment building, downtown St. Paul. Guess I know what I'm getting for my birthday!! I'm the Michigan sister. :-)

1 Like Save    
beesneeds(zone 6)

Well then happy birthday neen! What a nice gift to get :)

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Flowers and Plants Plant Baptisia Bracteata for Blooms Pollinators Will Love
Longbract wild indigo is great in dry soil, and its spring flowers attract butterflies and bumblebees
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Please Bumblebees by Planting Baptisia Lactea
Plant wild white indigo in central and southeastern U.S. gardens for its large white flower heads and early-spring interest
Full Story
Gardening for Butterflies Be a Butterfly Savior — Garden for the Monarchs
Keep hope, beauty and kindness alive in the landscape by providing a refuge for these threatened enchanters
Full Story
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More