SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellatiarella

Temp & light while hydrating bare-root B/4 planting?

I have 5 David Austin bare-root own-root roses arriving today. (3 Young Lycidas, 1 The Pilgrim, 1 Tess of the d'U, what a thrill!) My plan had been to soak overnight and plant tomorrow. . . but tomorrow is going to be an unusually warm 79 and sunny . . . and some other things are also causing disruptions in my plans. After tomorrow, we go back to 70-ish and cloudy. I called DA, and the employee there said to build the sweat mound up to the top of the canes. And she surprised me by saying the hydrating soak can be up to 7 days as long as I use no additives in the water and keep the water level to the top of the roots without submerging the canes. I found an old post on this forum in which many people talked about bare-root roses doing quite well after the roots were kept in water for a long time, even weeks.

So my question is: If I put the roses in pails of water up to the top of the roots for a couple/few days until I get a cool and shady planting day, where to put the pails? I have a choice of a cool and dark basement, or the garage which would be temps closer to the out-of-doors, with light varying between low-light and dark. Another alternative is the basement during that first 79-degree day, then the garage after that.

I guess I'll also ask: What do you recommend for mounding the canes after planting? My 4 choices are: homemade compost, soil, wood chips, or shredded tree leaves.

Any advice or opinions? Thanks!

Comments (4)