Houzz Logo Print
suzdahl

To paint or not to paint cupboards...My cupboards are vintage 1995. T

suzdahl
6 years ago

Comments (39)

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

Looks like that 80's finish is throughout your home. Are you prepared to tackle it everywhere?

• Tower Woodman
    6 years ago

Are they opal oak? I remember I wanted those so bad but I didnt get it until after they were out of style. I painted mine. My husband used a solid exterior stain on them and they turned out pretty good. The only reason why we used a solid stain was because we were selling the house. If we were staying there longer, I would have made my poor husband strip off the old stain and restain them to a wood finish found in nature. That is a lot more work. You could also use a tinted varnish on them.

• Related Discussions

Can I repurpose this cupboard??

Q

Comments (15)
    I love the cupboard exactly as it is. Very pretty. It does have $$ resale value, and if you paint it, it loses some of its value. The most valuable it can be is as close to its original new condition as possible. If an antique is seriously damaged, fixing it/painting it is a good idea. But yours looks pretty good. Up to you though. It would be great filled with china, or towels in the bath, or a pretty place to hide your electronics, or display a favorite collection. It would be great in almost any room of the house.
    ...See More

Painted cupboards

Q

Comments (19)
    Wow, what a great job. I like the way your process has left the grain showing but it isn't screaming oak. Re the mirrors. I would consider moving the middle one down to be even with the other two. I like the way they mimic or allude to almost resting on the buffet. my 2c for what that's worth! The room looks really nice.
    ...See More

What type of cupboards and can I paint them.

Q

Comments (8)
    At the risk of being insulting, is that wood that we are seeing or is it something covering mdf/particle board? I bought a cupboard that looked just like that and unbeknownst to me it had a plastic paper-like covering over some kind of substrate. I primed and painted, but bubbles appeared under the paint because the moisture got under the covering. Diane
    ...See More

old vintage bar cupboard

Q

Comments (20)
    Me again, Amanda. I see this is your first Design Dilemma posting. It's best when you first post a Dilemma to give photos of all four walls and adjoining spaces, plus tell us the use of the room, and its size. That way people commenting don't have to go back and forth asking for more photos or information. Sometimes, the DD poster identifies one problem only, but commentors spot other problems (bad ceiling, stark white wall paint) that make the room feel wrong. In this case, a warmer paint and a rug in warm colors would make a huge difference. If you have the budget later on address the ceiling. Demolishing real tile is very expensive and messy. Other fixes suggested in this thread might give you the feeling you want. It looks like a great space for entertaining when there's spillover of people from kitchen or dining room, but we don't know what use you plan for the space.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Vintage 1995??? lol. I used have those. mine were vintage 1980. I got rid of them!

paint them. yes. paint. and paint the baseboards and door and window casing.

the oak beams above are great. they would show up a lot better next to painted cabinets.

black or navy would look great.

even if you did that pantry in black and the rest in white

or some of these other shades.

• valerie777
    6 years ago
    Yes!
  • deegw
    6 years ago

White will look great with your backsplash. If you aren't an experienced painter, get some professional help. Despite what HGTV implies, painting cabinets is much more involved than slapping on some paint.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    I love that blue you posted Beth. Do you know name and paint brand?
  • Izzy Mn
    6 years ago

Wait a few years and they'll be back in again. You will be saying what was I thinking painting those beautiful cabinets. I like them, but, I'm not a designer.

• suzdahl
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The color I used on the small sample door is Sherwin Williams Sea salt.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Flo,,,that's Gentlemans Gray. I love all those colors against that oak beam.

Grover,,maybe try this one.

can you try this combo w/the pantry in one shade and the others the other color?

and of course new cabinet hardware would be a must. some handles, not knobs.

• handmethathammer
    6 years ago

I've been battling this dilemma. My house is relatively new, only 7 years old, but my 2011 cabinets are a stained "orange" maple. It feels very dated to me, although it is so new. I was afraid to paint, because I feel like this painted wood thing is going to take a turn and I keep hearing how hard it is.

I really love the look of painted cabinets that are a color. That green posted by groveraxle is very appealing to me. I'd love to see a kitchen like that.

Do you have an island or other piece that you could try out a color on? I did this recently. I've long wanted to paint my cabinets white, but I keep hearing it is hard, a lot of work, I should hire a professional. So I decided to take on a smaller project, and painted my island and pantry door. It wasn't cheap. Paint is not cheap.

I love the result. It actually makes me happier with my stained cabinets, because the island is such a prevalent thing and brings color to the room.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

handme,,,the orange you see if prob the oil based clear coat. they have a tendency to yellow with time. as for painting,,if done correctly,,it should last. don't know how you did yours, but if you want to do the others, follow the instructions on this link. she has the best tutorials and info of anyone out there who does this.

https://www.evolutionofstyleblog.com/2012/01/how-to-paint-your-kitchen-cabinets-like.html

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Beth, not sure what other color you wanted with the navy, so here is white:

All navy:
    Sea salt:

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

thnx grover. that two tone one was actually a pale gray in that one pic.

But I'm really digging this blue!

Since you had the copper accents, I went ahead and played around w/some copper handles, a pendant. brought in a rug and a cute chair for the table we can't see!

if the copper accents weren't there, I'd do some polished nickel elements to match the faucet.

SUZEDAHL if you decide to go w/this, (and really,,,this blue looks so dang good!) I'd get a copper sink and do a quartz countertop, and walnut on the island. (if you have one).

or go w/gold and the farmhouse

• suzdahl
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here are 2 more angles of the kitchen cupboards!
    The picture of the cupboard door is a test door in the color I thought I wanted called Sherwin Williams Sea Salt .... but now not sure ...
  • deegw
    6 years ago

I suggested painting above but the full view of your kitchen looks really great and now I changed my mind about painting. What don't you like about your kitchen?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

suzdahl..did you see all the pics above we did w/diff colors? Grover photoshopped the cab colors, I added the hardware, light/rug. you could always do a two tone. i really love a darker color to showcase the beautiful beams.

gentlemans gray

halcyon green

are you going to paint them yourself? if so, I have the perfect link for you on how to do it correctly.

• Tracy Jones
    6 years ago
    I think your kitchen looks beautiful as is.
  • Marian Macias
    6 years ago

OH MY GOD!! groveraxle Can you do that to my cabinets? I am looking to paint them, can you do a little photoshop for me? Please?

• Marian Macias
    6 years ago

Now that i saw a full photo of your kitchen, i think it is beautiful, wouldn't change a thing about it.

• functionthenlook
    6 years ago

Paint the cabinets and come back on the forum in 6-12 months on how awefull they look since they will be chipped and worn. Cabinets should only be painted if they are beyond help or you need to match new cabinets into the mix. Buy new cabinets and donate the current ones.

• rich69b
    6 years ago

Beth H., can you post the link on proper way to paint cabinets, please? We're in the process of painting our oak kitchen cabinets and just wanna compare it to what I've read online. I already cleaned/degreased, deglossed, applied grain filler twice, sanding in between and ready to sand again prior to caulking and priming. It's A LOT of work! If we had the money, I'd have done professionally.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

functionthenlook,,,they look awful because no one took the hours/days to properly prep. To say cabs should only be painted if they are beyond help is ridiculous. Are her cabs in good shape? they appear to be. But , while the 20 year old white wash was very popular in the mid 90's (I had it too), it's Not so much now. She's asking if she should paint so I'm assuming she's tired of the look? Not everyone can afford to replace them. So by your statement, they should live w/something they don't like?

Rich69b,,,Yes, it's ton of work. I've done them a few times for friends. And by the way function, after 10 years, the oak cabs I painted for my friend don't have one chip or worn areas. So it can be done.

Rich-Sounds like you've done your homework and are off to a good start.

Here is the link. (look around and click on her links within this post she has, she does one w/wood filler too)

https://www.evolutionofstyleblog.com/2012/01/how-to-paint-your-kitchen-cabinets-like.html

it's a long post but it is absolutely the best one I've seen or read. she has done dozens and dozens of kitchens.

• functionthenlook
    6 years ago

Beth, I didn't read anywhere in her post that she didn't like them. She asked for opinions if she should paint them. I just gave my opinion. Yes, it is different than yours, but just because it isn't yours doesn't make it any less valid.

I think her cabinets are unique. Everybody and their brother is painting their cabinets. The finish on those cabints look in great shape for over 20 years. I don't think painted cabinets are going to last that long. Sometimes people do changes just because everyone else is doing it and think they need to also.

• derk5
    6 years ago

I would not paint the cabinets or any of the wood trim and doors in your lovely house. Your wood is not the honey oak color that so undesireable these days. Your wood has a light neutral stain that can mix well with warm or cool decor colors. IMO stained wood is so much more inviting than painted wood.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Function, you said they would look horrible within a year if they were painted. All I pointed out that if cabinets are properly prepped and painted, there is no reason for them to chip and look ragged. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

As for her cabinets, yes they are fine. they look in great shape. Again, I suspect that she is tired of them which is why she's asking what to do. I have a feeling she's vacillating on if she should change them and was coming on her to find out if her concerns were valid.

as for painted cabinets not lasting long, I'm confused by that one. we've been painting them for a century. People buy painted cabinets from the stores.

yes, you are entitled to you opinion. I'm not debating that at all. All I'm saying is that painted cabinets can still look great if done correctly.

• pink_peony
    6 years ago

Beth, that Gentlemans Gray.......may have just found my new master bath paint color. Even though its not SW I might be willing to wait for it and do it later!

• housegal200
    6 years ago

Some beautiful colors suggested above. But here's a kitchen with same tone that looks great. Granted the lines are more modern, but the wood is wonderful. And you do have the wood beams, etc. Have you considered painting the adjoining area a very pale gray, which would up the modern quotient a lot. I'm usually the first one to whine: "Gray walls in the kitchen/dining again?" but here it would add a sophisticated palette depending on what the rest of the open space looks like.

Kitchen - red birch cabinets, quartz and live wood edge countertops · More Info

Hillsdale kitchen · More Info

• Chessie
    6 years ago

1995 is "vintage"? LOL!!

• Chessie
    6 years ago

functionthenlook

"Paint the cabinets and come back on the forum in 6-12 months on how awefull they look since they will be chipped and worn. Cabinets should only be painted if they are beyond help or you need to match new cabinets into the mix. Buy new cabinets and donate the current ones."

Nonsense. I painted mine exactly one year ago. They look exactly the same as the day I painted them. Sounds to me like you don't really know much about painting.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

thank you Chess. That's all I was trying to point out and I got scolded. I painted my friends cabs over 10 years ago. not one chip. they look far from awful.

the reason 'everyone' is painting their cabinets, is because they're tired of 1980-90's oak! Otherwise, they would replace them. people can't afford to replace but they want something different, newer, updated. So they paint.

same type of cabinets. in good shape. should we leave these for another 20 years?

these? No one here thinks these should be painted?? Maybe it's because I had cabs like this for far too long and just can't stand them.

I think a lot of the problem w/those saying, "keep them they're beautiful", haven't lived with them for 2 decades. I don't know about the rest of you, but I like changes. I can't stand looking at the same color on the wall or the same furniture for 20+ years. If you guys can, great! think of all the money you save. But some of us like to mix it up a bit.

And Housegal, while those pictures you're posting are beautiful, you're comparing apples to oranges. Those cabs are not whitewashed or pickled either, but natural. I might also point out that they're not oak. The tones look great because of the style and everything surrounding it. you can't compare the tones in OP's kitchen and her pickled oak cabs to those.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

suzedahl, I noticed you painted one door. did you sand or prime it first? and is that one coat of the SeaSalt? I think you need something with a bit more saturated color if you aren't doing white.

• User
    6 years ago

I tried Sea Salt in my kitchen. It's a lovely color, but it's too pastel-y...It's great in a bathroom.

I like your cabinets the way they are, though...To me, a painted cabinet looks cheaper than if I can see the wood grain.

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

following

• lindastein
    6 years ago

following ...

• handmethathammer
    6 years ago

That dark blue with the copper sink. *faints from the beauty

• suzdahl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well I still haven’t taken the lease to paint cabinets since I first posted this in 2018🤪😬

And now I’m thinking to put a pale grey stain over the wood cabinets! Any opinions?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

to do those in a gray stain would mean stripping off all the previous finishes and taking it down to raw wood. That's the only way you'll get the best look. if you do over what's on there now w/a gray 'gel' stain, it will look like poo and will basically just sit on top of the previous finish.

Staining cabs professionally would cost just as much, if not more, then painting.

stripping the wood to raw wood and doing a gray stain would get you the bottom picture. (Varathane or General Finishes gray stain would be one of the two I'd use)

Gen Finishes Ash Gray:

this one is a darker gray.

what you could do is get new doors/drawer fronts, in raw wood, and stain those. (get a white oak). much less work, you'll have updated looking cabinets, and only have to worry about stripping the skeleton bases.

But, why gray stain? what about the wood beams? would you stain those too to match? and the window?

or, look into General Finishes Milk Paint in one of the gray colors. Their paint is nice to work with and gives good coverage. Always do proper prep and priming before painting