SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_wigginsking

What to use to cover brick?

Ashley
6 years ago

I have a breezeway that has brick walls. Think dogtrot, but much, much narrower than a dogtrot would be. It's 12 ft long and 4 ft wide. It leads from the carport to a back porch that is hopefully being enclosed in the next few weeks (still waiting to hear from the contractor as to whether it's going to be in budget along with everything else being done). There is a door to the kitchen on one side and I'll probably have a doorway cut to the laundry room on the other side when the work on the porch starts. The entire house, including the porch share a roof.

My dilemma is that, with the porch being enclosed, I would like to make this look less like an exterior space. I want to cover the walls with....something. I don't love the way that painted brick looks, but it's not out of the question. Drywall would be ideal, but I think once you take into account the space taken up by the furring strips and the drywall then the space becomes claustrophobic, especially since I'd love to put a few narrow benches in to make it into a mudroom of sorts. I was kind of thinking about beadboard with a nice crown moulding and baseboard. In theory, I don't see the problem using either construction adhesive or masonry anchors to attach the 4x8 panels to the wall, but I'm not sure how moisture would affect this (I understand that this is why drywall shouldn't be attached directly to brick). Any advice? Or something else I should consider?

Comments (2)