SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcrd

Garden this year and Dr. Huey

mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Well, I was not able to do the "normal" amount of spring prep this year due to my crazy work schedule. I ended up doing it late this year. However, things seem to be OK with the front and back yard. The last minute freeze we had did a number on my citrus plants, even though they were covered. Roses came through just fine.

Now, I just discovered Dr. Huey growing in my backyard bed!!! This was after pulling out all of my roses and starting over again a few years ago, due to my roses converting to Dr. Huey. Now I find Dr. Huey again?????? ACK! It was near my Sister Elizabeth and at first I thought it was part of that rose. Well, I dug the Dr. Huey out and hope I got it all. I am also considering taking out the Sister Elizabeth as I thought it was on its own root but perhaps I got a wrong rose? Can Dr. Huey be dormant for several years? Plus, I am not wild about the Sister. She sure is a floppy thing that doesn't really like the heat here.

Front yard. First rose on the left is Wedding Cake. Purple rose in the back, I can't remember the name but it does make the most ugly flowers I have ever seen when they are starting to die. That rose is going bye, bye. Rose on the right is Munstead Wood. Rose in the back right is Eyes for You. I am thinking about getting rid of that rose as well. It drops its petals quickly and then it is just ugly. I feel terrible as I so wanted to love this rose and I just don't.

Here is the back yard this year. Roses on the left are Peppermint Parfait (love that little workhorse of a rose), Blue for You is in there. On the right are several Candice roses (which I think will replace Eyes for You in the front). Past the fountain are Vick's Caprice, Occhi di Fata, and other roses (DA) hiding out. The rose on the arbor is Flamingo Dancer which has just gone nuts this year with blooms.

Flamingo Dancer

Comments (27)