SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nehome

Window Seat Length vs Table Length and Tresle Table Qs

6 years ago

I'm planning a window bench in my kitchen redesign that will be approx 18-19" in depth and will be flanked by 2 bookcases. How much beyond the table should a window seat bench extend to allow easy entry? Is there a rule of thumb? What should the depth of the bookcases be to open the corner of the bench for easier entry? One of the bookcases will be in a corner so also need to figure the width of the bookcases, i.e. clearance from table to wall.

I wanted to use a Trestle table also for easy in/out but the tresle design presents some challenges for leg room/foot placement on the long side and knee room on the short side and limit the number of chairs that can comfortably fit at the table. Any thoughts from those who have a window seat/tresle table set up - does the tresle design make that much of a difference for access into the window seat, do you use end chairs? If the chairs on the long side straddle the tresle, is that an issue with where to put your feet? In this set up would a legged table with 4-6" end overhangs, which would move the leg away from the corner, work better?

Thanks for any input!

Here are 2 scenarios:

#1 Table 60" long with 2 chairs long side and end chairs - clearance to wall is 38" but end chair in that space - seems tight. This is the length of our current legged table that fits 6 chairs easily

#2 Table 72" Long with 3 chairs on long side - clearance table to wall is 32" with no end chair

Comments (9)