SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcardel

Best flooring for an enclosed porch near a pool?

Dar C
6 years ago

My husband and I are imminently moving into a new house (of which I've written in a few times seeking advice and suggestions - there are many challenging design aspects to deal with), and we can't seem to agree upon what would be a suitable flooring for the enclosed porch.

As you can see, the old owners opted for a blah tile (not sure on the material), which we want to change anyway since the flooring isn't level with the rest of the house - there's a slight step-down when walking from the living room to the porch.

We want to 'bring the outdoors in' and prefer decorating with blues and greens. But we also need to be mindful of any 'Slippery When Wet' flooring, since the pool is only a few feet beyond the door, not to mention that it needs to flow with the beige marble floor throughout the rest of the first floor (see pictures). We also want to be mindful of resale value, since we plan on spending about five years in this house; something universally appealing, but also something we can be happy with, is a priority.

Functionally, we plan on having a bar area in one portion of the room (TBD where - we bought the house months ago and haven't been back since), a lounge area and a small table where we can have morning coffee overlooking our domain. I also have a jute rug to put in the room, but I'm not married to it.

(For those curious, we plan on painting the walls SW Pure White [we have it in our current home and love it; and yes we know colors can change depending on lighting, etc. We will test it out, but this is our plan for now], replacing the popcorn ceiling for a smooth one, getting a modern minimalist fan, and replacing the spiral staircase with a black one.)

You can see there is a gap in flooring depth from the marble floors to the tile on the porch. It's hard to tell from the photos, but it's uneven.

(For those curious, we will be white washing the fireplace, removing the black grate, updating the mantle, and removing the... art..? from up high. We will also be painting the walls either a bright white [SW Pure White] or light grey [SW Crushed Ice].)

Thank you!

Comments (3)