SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmeshopping

Best privacy tree/shrub for shady area?

jmeshopping
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I would like to plant 6-10 trees for privacy purposes along my fence line. Ideally, I'm looking for a species that matures to a height of 10-20ft, width of 5-10ft, grows relatively fast, and can thrive in a filtered sun/shady environment. My landscape architect has cautioned me against planting any species of Thuja (Occidentalis/Plicata) sighting a concern for shade tolerance and extremely slow growth. I'm not partial to Leylands and Yews are a concern because of their toxicity. Spartan Junipers would be great but again need full-sun for optimal growth. I have attached several pictures highlighting the area I would prefer to plant. As you can see the area is well shaded by a Hawthorn, Maple and Oak tree. Any recommendation regarding a species of tree/shrub with privacy potential that thrives in a filtered sun/shady environment would be welcomed. I am located in Atlanta, GA. Thank you!

Comments (20)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

This is better posted in the Conifers or Trees forum, as it is not a design issue. But Thuja plicata is very shade tolerant......it is native to my area and grows in dense woods here. It is a primary species of the Olympic rainforest, which offers virtually NO direct sunlight until the tree height exceed the surrounding tree canopy. I just can't speak to how well this PNW native species will fair in the southeastern part of the country. The hybrid arbs Green Giants (T. plicata x T. standishii) will do well for you and are tolerant to some shade but can get quite a bit taller and wider than you prefer.

jmeshopping thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Related Discussions

Good privacy shrub/tree in a shady, heavily wooded area?

Q

Comments (4)
    It helps to know approximately where you are located. Yes, zone 7, I know, but not all zone 7 places are equal when it come to recommendations.
    ...See More

Boston Area: Need a shrub for shady area

Q

Comments (4)
    HOw about a hydrangea? In your zone, you should have plenty of cultivers to pick from, so you should be able to find a bloom color that will work with the roses. Although a lot of the hydrangeas will get larger than 4', they can be pruned to keep them to size.
    ...See More

Taller shrubs for a mostly shady area

Q

Comments (6)
    I live in central Delaware and have an acuba gold dust. It is in complete shade, gets no supplemental water and is competing with tree roots. It is about 9 feet tall. We have acid/clay soil here. Do hollies grow well in your area? I have a short row of burford hollies also growing in shade and competing with tree roots (spruce tree). This holly is a beautiful shade of dark green. Mine are about 11 or 12 feet tall. I don't know how fast they grow since they were here when I moved in. Very pretty holly, dense and great for privacy.
    ...See More

Trees or shrubs to fill out very shady wooded area

Q

Comments (8)
    Ken.. it is an honor to have you reply to my thread. I will take a picture and post it later. May I ask you an unrelated question? I want to plant four 10' Black Hills Spruce around my house. They are B&B from Dutchman Farm in Northern Michigan. I am in Howell, by the way. So the nursery who will be obtaining and planting the trees says they cant plant til early June. I am worried about the trees thriving and living if they are planted too latr. The nursery (Mayhews in Fowlerville) told me that since the trees are coming from up north where the weather is still cold, they havent experienced new growth yet, and can be planted at my home anytime as long as its not extremely hot out. What do you think, Ken? These will be expensive and they dont warranty their trees. Should I wait til next year?
    ...See More
  • jmeshopping
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for the advice! I will take another look at Thuja plicata and research hollies. I've also dropped the 'landscape design' forum in favor of conifers. Thanks again!

• Embothrium
    5 years ago

It's not a matter of the various kinds mentioned not growing in that site*, it's a matter of what will grow densely in significant shade. None, including hollies will be as full in a lot of shade as the same kinds would be in the open. But hollies would probably look better there than thin- and gaunt-looking conifers. (If there is, in fact enough shade there to produce this outcome).

Speaking of design I wouldn't plant a row of one kind of background plant behind that informal planting consisting of various different plants. Instead I would also plant an assortment of shrubs behind the existing plants, in order to have thematic and visual consistency. All the more so because there is already a somewhat dominating fence behind, producing an effect which a row of one kind of tall evergreen plants would serve to additionally emphasize.

*Except for Thuja plicata, which as mentioned doesn't seem likely to be suitable for GA. With it being believed that T. occidentalis and T. plicata are derived from a single species, that became separated into two as the climate changed and the Great Plains arose. In other words the first is the eastern adapted version and the second the western.

jmeshopping thanked Embothrium
  • jmeshopping
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The planting area in the last two pictures was a poor attempt by myself and an overzealous fiancé at PIKE's! The new design (by a professional) turns that area into a lowered seating area, retaining wall, and fire pit.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    5 years ago

the word shade tells us little ... how about breaking it down in hours of actual sun ... and what time of day .. e.g. sun at dawn/dusk isnt worth much ... but better than nothing ...

that said ... regardless of what might grow there.. the lack of sun.. affects vigor ... imo.. nothing is going to grow FAST in that spot.. because of lack of sun ... but give us the numbers ...

and lack of vigor also would effect how long it takes a transplant.. to get established and growing with vigor ... and even worse on large transplants .. taking longer to get established ....

almost all trees.. shrubs.. conifers.. are full sun plants.. but some can be shade 'tolerant' ... but that does not mean they will grow the same in both sites ...

if the issue is the deck .. then your fastest solution.. would be a screen you could put up.;. when you want to sit out there ... and that will give you the 10 years you might need... to get plants to grow to the height needed ... the elevation of the deck really hurts this dream ...

i am trying to get you out of the box you have already put yourself in.. trying to solve the problem at the low property line ....

finally .. i agree on divergent types of plants .... never rely on one type of anything ... imo ..

ken

favoring wood and structure: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=deck+screens+for+privacy&t=ffcm&iax=images&ia=images

favoring fabric: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=fabric+deck+screens+for+privacy&t=ffcm&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

• Embothrium
    5 years ago

Really you should try and get the L.A, you are already paying to know about such things to come up with something you like!

If screening the deck is in fact the unmentioned central issue here the above mentioned point about screening where you are instead of planting a probably looming hedge way over where the unwanted view is is a good one. All the more so if you want quick relief.

Something sufficiently tall as close as possible to the neighbor's house or other large, unwanted view is actually the least efficient and practical way to go about it. Because the closer the screening is to the view the bigger that screening has to be. And most importantly, the closer the screening is to the place from which the view is being seen the smaller it can be - and do the job.

In the lower seating area a single, small growing shade adapted deciduous tree like might be seen growing wild in a woodland beneath taller trees could be adequate to make the yet to be installed feature sufficiently private for summer use. Something like a non-dwarf kind of Japanese maple.

• waynedanielson
    5 years ago

Effective screening in shade. Very high on a short list of difficult things.

1. Irrigation. Hand in hand with shade under trees is competition. For light, for water. Irrigation is relatively simple to install. If you have the resources fir an LA to assist...this will be a piece of cake.

1. Light. Judicious pruning of surrounding plants can do wonders for creating better light penetration without sacrificing much in terms of effective screening.

1. Plant selection. Shade and dry. Hard combination to beat. If you opt for no supplemental irrigation, even drier, even harder.

And you want a very specific plant shape. You live in a place where camellias grow as well as evergreen viburnum...although they don't fit your preferred shape.

jmeshopping thanked waynedanielson
  • Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    5 years ago

Try Chindo viburnum.

jmeshopping thanked Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

Since the seating area/fire pit hasn’t been built yet and you might have a broader range of choices with a bit more than 10’ of width, can you modify things so you have a wider bed for plants?

Does it have to be evergreen or will having leaves during the growing season be sufficient? There are smaller trees and larger shrubs that may be able to be pruned to tree form that may work there.

Might something like a pergola along the fence, with or without shade-tolerant vines work for your needs?

jmeshopping thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • jmeshopping
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'd prefer to stick with an evergreen as yearlong privacy is the main focus. I considered a lattice allowing vines to grow but I think it may look out of place at over 12ft. I also considered a Crimson Pointe Plumb but as it is deciduous, I'd lose privacy in the fall/winter. Right now my best bet is the Thuja plicata (Green Sport) as it seems to be shade tolerant, evergreen, Zone 7 hardiness, and fast growing. Unfortunately, however, I'm having a hard time finding them locally as most Thuja's on the east coast are occidentalis.

• Embothrium
    5 years ago

Further suggesting T. plicata may not be suitable for your area. Also something like 'Green Sport' or 'Green Giant' would overwhelm your planting site in time anyway.

jmeshopping thanked Embothrium
  • waynedanielson
    5 years ago

Arbs in shade are not as pretty as people suggest. they'll survive, so they get recommended because if someone twists your arms and asks you if they'll die, when you say, 'no they won't die but they'll look ratty and miserable', all they hear is, 'they'll do fine in shade'.

you live in a part of the world where there are legitimate broadleaf evergreens that thrive in shade. Before you insist on banging a square, sun loving peg into a round shady hole, I'd be certain you have exhausted other alternatives first.

the catch seems to be you are wedded to the idea of a certain shape. What is the reason for the insistence on tall and narrow?

jmeshopping thanked waynedanielson
  • jmeshopping
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ideally all I want is to stand on my deck an not see the house next door. Same goes for standing in my lawn. A privacy screen attached to the deck would work but only provides privacy when entertaining on the deck. Ideally planting as close to the fence as possible maximizes privacy throughout the whole backyard. What about 4-5 of the species below?

Ficus nitida (Indian Laurel Fig)

Laurus nobilis (Sweet Bay)

Prunus caroliniana (Carolina Cherry)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    5 years ago

Ficus nitida (Indian Laurel Fig) Way too tender for your area

Laurus nobilis (Sweet Bay) Could work, but tends to like more sun.

Prunus caroliniana (Carolina Cherry) Gets way too big and drops lots of fruit. There are more dwarf forms of it you could consider such as 'Bright n Tight'.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    5 years ago

this might be interesting for your project.. but you are still left with the sun issue ... ken

http://instanthedge.com/

jmeshopping thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • ofdm (South Bay Area CA zone 9b)
    5 years ago

How about bamboo if there is one cold hardy to your area? Many bamboo like shade I think.

jmeshopping thanked ofdm (South Bay Area CA zone 9b)
  • Embothrium
    5 years ago

Good idea except the hardy clumping ones tend to be comparatively short-growing, the tall ones running in habit. Perhaps GA location is mild enough for hardiest tropical clumping species but I suspect there would be problems with periodic freezing back. Or even freezing out entirely.

Anything chosen will need time to develop, it's not going to be a matter of the house next door disappearing anytime soon - if a tall hedge right in front of the fence is relied upon solely to screen the entire space. And with a comparatively refined and attractive type like holly we might actually be talking about 20 or more years before the currently desired level of screening is achieved. Unless huge specimens are located somewhere, trucked to the site and planted by a contractor. Yet with a more explosively growing, quickly quite tall species there is the problem of them appearing rank, becoming too much.

It having been used by the ancient Greeks Laurus is a literally classic plant for all kinds of garden and landscape uses but does this Mediterranean climate tree grow in Atlanta?

Evergreen Prunus species often reseed to a nuisance degree wherever they like the climate well enough to produce a feature like a tall hedge.

• edlincoln
    5 years ago

I still think holly is the best suggestion I've heard so far. Reasonably shade tolerant, and broad leaved plants can usually take more pruning to remove branches brown from shade or keep them narrow. In your climate you probably have some options I'm not familiar with. What about a magnolia? Perhaps Magnolia grandiflora?

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    5 years ago

Here's a photo of Loropetalum doing well in Atlanta. One of larger selections is worth considering for lots of training options to fit your need and preferences. We've grown in both sun and shade - though grows slower with less light.