SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brittany_legg

Moving Ficus Lyrata/Fiddle Leaf Fig Outside for Summer

Brittany Legg
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi all,

I am wanting to move my fiddle leaf fig outdoors for summer onto my covered porch. I kept seeing people rave in house forums and other sites about how well their trees did outdoors over the warm months and decided to take the plunge. I have googled everything I can think of and can't find any definitive advice on how to transition them outdoors or what light people move them into.

A little history on my little tree: he is probably a 4-5 yr old tree that is about 4-5 feet tall (probably was closer to 5 before I trimmed the top branches about 3 weeks ago.) I trimmed his top branches because he was getting a bit leggy and top heavy, so in a effort to encourage bushy growth and additional branches I painstakingly made the cut. (I think the experience was more dramatic for me than it was for him) Since the top branches were cut he hasn't shown any signs of distress, with no brown spots or lost leaves (and the baby pieces cut from the top have already grown roots in water!).

So as far as moving him- my patio is well protected from wind, so that's not an issue, but I am having trouble figuring out where to put it, I have three options:

1. total shade (worried this may be too dark as the suns rays don't even shine near this spot, also, a more high traffic area, so I would be worried someone might brush his leaves and over time damage the leaf veins)

2. dappled light during the sunrise, then dappled 45min-1hr hot afternoon sun (worried this afternoon sun might burn his Leaves)

3. Morning sun from 9:30am-12, possibly dappled at times depending on how an overhead tree and hanging basket fill out this year (I thought this would be the perfect spot, but as I moved him out and the direct sun hit his leaves, I panicked and worried I'd burn him)

I keep thinking he would do well in spot #3 if maybe I transitioned him into the sunlight over time? If so, how many days do you use for transition? Also, just as a note, I am being very careful about watching the temp. and making sure he isn't exposed to any cool nights.

He previously lived beside an east facing window that gets direct sun for maybe 1-2 hours each morning, but the window was frosted so all the light was filtered and direct rays never reached his leaves.

Any and all advice would be welcomed! Thanks in advance!

Comments (50)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living