SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellatiarella

How much alfalfa do you apply?

I've been applying a generous scoop of alfalfa pellets (sized for rabbit feed) per bush and also per clematis vine. My scoop is a big scoop, so my generous scoop is probably the equivalent of 3-4 cups if I used an actual measuring cup like I use in the kitchen. My bushes are not all that big, given my zone. I am going to run out of pellets before finishing all my roses and clem's. Then I think I will use up a 3-pound box of Dr. Earth alfalfa meal which I ordered online before discovering the 50-pound bags of pellets at the feed store. It occurs to me to wonder how much alfalfa other growers are putting down. . .

(For my largest roses, e.g. my Gertrude Jekyll which grows to 4 or 5 feet tall with maybe a dozen or fewer canes, my formula has been: 5 or 6 big scoops homemade compost, mixed w the generous scoop of alf pellets, 1.25 cups Rose Tone, 1/4 cup Azomite, 2 T Dr. Iron, and 2 t. epsom salts. Mix and spread in the drip zone.)

Appreciate anyone who can share what they do with alfalfa. What kind of product and how much? How often?

Comments (6)