SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eman_varoqua

Matarazzo Quartzite from Brazil?

E V
6 years ago
Hi everyone- just wondering if anyone has any experience with this material? If it etches stains or scratches easily? Anyone out there use it as a countertop? Any info or experience would be super helpful
Thanks in advance!

Comments (57)

• Jen Hartman Steliga
    5 years ago

Did you find a quartzite that was similar to matarazzo? Just found it today and loved it! I had no idea it was a dolomite! So sad!

• dbkstl
    5 years ago

I just saw Matarazzo labeled as Dolomite, not quartzite. The two slabs they had were honed and I was able to take home a sample. They said it hadn't been sealed so I bought an inexpensive sealer from the hardware store to apply before I tested it. After sealing and waiting about 6 hours for it to penetrate, I left vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, mustard, cranberry juice, and hot sauce on it for hours. Much to my surprise, all of it wiped right up with NO STAINING OR ETCHING! I assumed all those acidic items would have stripped the sealer so I tested it some more by leaving a glass of ice water on it overnight...water ring wiped away completely! I do think the honed finish helps hide etching but the sealer helps prevent staining. Fabricator is trying to talk me out of any type of marble but this sample is performing as well as the quartz I had in my previous kitchen. Now I wait for pricing...

• Related Discussions

Dumont quartzite countertops

Q

Comments (65)
    @sandrafay I haven’t had any issues. Some stones are advertised as quartzite but are actually marble and scratch and stain more easily (see, for example, Super White). Also, some natural stones are not sealed properly and therefore get marks they otherwise wouldn’t have. Quartzite is definitely not as durable as granite - some types of quartzite like Taj Mahal and White Macaubas are almost as durable though. If you are getting a true quartzite like Dumont and a reputable fabricator to seal the counters properly I don’t think you’ll have issues.
    ...See More

Help with quartzite slab identification - Karin_mt?

Q

Comments (5)
    Not sure if this helps but we installed a quartzite in our kitchen and love it. Zero maintenance so far(year ago). We did have the installer seal it and I think it’s supposed to last at least 10 years if I am remembering correctly. I actually feel like it was a 25 year sealer but I don’t trust my memory. I cannot remember the name. It was an additional $180 I think. No etching or staining at all and I do not have to be careful with it like I did a honed marble in our last house. I couldn’t test it either but did smear an oily hand moisturizer on the slab at the warehouse to make sure it wasn’t porus. It was not. I love my slab and would 100% buy it again. I think with the quartzite the more white they are the more they may have a certain mineral that can etch. Mine is a creamier white base and I can literally leave lemon juice, red wine etc on it and it doesn’t leave a trace of a mark. Good luck!
    ...See More

white quartzite?

Q

Comments (0)
    Can anyone identify this stone from Brazil? The wholesaler called it Crema Bianco which Isn’t a type of quartzite from my research.
    ...See More

How to care for quartzite counters in kitchen

Q

Comments (2)
    I won't actually know how soft and porous this particular slab is until I can test it . The stone yard was not at all helpful) but despite comments here re Mont Blanc, our fabricator did say it is very hard. So we'll see.
    ...See More
  • Chessie
    5 years ago

dbkstl, of COURSE it wiped right up. You JUST put on a sealer. Doesn't change the point of the thread though - it's not quartzite, It's dolomite marble . And it is going to etch...no matter what. Good to see that your stone yard is not trying to mislead folks on it.

Be sure you use an impregnator sealer.

http://www.leshermarble.com/blog/index.php/how-to-seal-granite-marble-countertops/

https://sefastone.com/marble-sealer-types-and-how-to-use-them/

• dbkstl
    5 years ago

Chess,

You're right! That's why I posted this here, because it's definitely a dolomite marble and my stone yard did label it correctly.

Do you think a good sealer will be enough to prevent staining and if so, how often would it need to be applied in your opinion? I'm okay with etching more than staining. Actually, the sample is honed but looks more matte in the white areas and a bit more polished in areas with veining. So I'm hoping etch marks might not be as noticeable.

I appreciate your sealer recommendations!

• Mustbejay
    5 years ago

Wow, in winter I selected a "quartzite" Matarazzo Honed finish from a Michigan dealer, crazy about its fit with my planned gray cabinets, white splash and wood floors. Then I tested cups sitting on lemon juice and vinegar - big rings in it. Good thing I read up on this issue and test some many moons ago. Bad thing that I almost got a bad product and because I also can't find a good replacement.

Ciot has a really nice looking porcelain product called Gigantic Absolute in 12 mm Honed finish.

Universal Granite offers an actual Hard Quartzite - I'm assured it's not soft like this dolomite/marble Matarazzo/Matarazza slab - called White Pearl. Of course, no sample available, but I'll demand they find one from some fabricator, another location or otherwise so that I may test it. It's got much more movement and tonal variation, up to blackish veining. I like a natural product better than a porcelain for the edging and sink cut with rounded rectangle, plus some ability to repair.

Otherwise, I just see other porcelain or man made quartz, none of which look as good to me as does this soft Matarazzo or as a true Calcatta marble that has the best color mix but not suitable for my project.

I have photos of these two if interested. Is there a PM option here? Maybe I'll get around to posting them in an album later.

• Adam Akers
    5 years ago

Hi - I know this is an old thread but we are currently waiting on some countertops to be installed that we were told were quartzite - but on the side there is a label that says "Marmore Branco Matarazzo" - which translates to "marble white matarazzo" (Portuguese). Does anyone know if we are getting real quartzite or is this marble?

• dbkstl
    5 years ago

We have Matarazzo Dolomite (Honed) and it was labeled as dolomite, not quartzite, at the stone yard. I spoke to some professionals and they told me it is a heartier marble and performs more like a quartzite. I had taken many samples home of different types of marble and this was the only type that did not stain or etch. The honed finish helps mask the etching if there is any and it was sealed by the fabricator to prevent staining. We love our countertops but we don't baby them just because they are marble. I'd say the dolomite is just as durable as the quartz we had in our previous home, which is presumed to be indestructible. Everyone will say that marble is softer than granite or quartzite and more prone to scratch, but we are not experiencing that at all with the dolomite! If you love the stone you picked, go for it! There are a lot of misconceptions out there surrounding marble but this dolomite has been perfectly fine in real life!

• Chessie
    5 years ago

Dolomite certainly etches. Do your research, and TEST YOUR SLAB.

http://www.beautythroughstone.com/single-post/2015/05/26/Why-Is-My-Quartzite-Countertop-Etching

• Virginia Vidoni
    5 years ago

Thank you dbkstl. We are putting White Fantasy Dolomite marble in our kitchen when it is remodeled after the holidays. We are happy to hear that you do not baby your countertop. We use our kitchen heavily and love marble, We are also realistic. We love stone and I loved reading your post!

• Virginia Vidoni
    5 years ago

I also find it condescending. We also did a lot of research on EVERYTHING we have chosen. Our countertop choice looks very similar to yours and is leathered. I used lemon juice, blueberry jam ad ketchup on the sample, leaving it on for over 24 hours. It showed nothing that I could see. Yours looks absolutely gorgeous. What do you use to clean your counter tops?

• dbkstl
    5 years ago
    Thanks! I’ve been using Stonetech Revializer Cleaner and StoneTech Revitalizer, Cleaner & Protector for Tile & Stone, 24-Ounce (.710L) Spray Bottle, Cucumber Scent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V99FR4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_oxC8BbHGN2CQR
  • Chessie
    5 years ago

" Insinuating that someone didn’t “do their research” is very condescending."

I did not "insinuate" any such thing. I stated that people SHOULD do their research and not rely on stone yards or online pictures to tell them what they stone is. Time and time again we see posts here from people that are complaining about their counters staining/etching, and most of them never tested their slabs at all.

• Virginia Vidoni
    5 years ago

Frankly, if it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't have known how to test my stone or even how to address the classification. The quote stated that the White fantasy was a quartzite and when I met with the person showing me around the yard, he described as a dolomite stone. I challenged the quartzite classification and the stone was reclassified as a dolomite marble. I would never have known this, if not for my reading here. I feel grateful to have found this site. With that said, I am a research fanatic and have researched the heck out of all my choices. I realize not everyone does their research.

• Mustbejay
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Adam, back to your original question: you are not getting quartzite.

That is, as reported, dolomite which is a marble. Some choose it anyway, others reject it for this reason. In my case, having a marble counter in one bathroom and imagining anything even half that soft and likely to etch in my kitchen scared me off. In the end, I chose a man-made quartz that I'm going to live with. This is just one view. YMMV.

( As for the silly didactic arguments over words of advice related to doing one's research, they're entirely uncalled for. I read no personal attacks taking place here. We're all on Houzz in the first place because we're researching. )

• PRO
    Final Seal Pros
    5 years ago

Not sure where you are located, but with stones that Etch, you can use a protection product that eliminates the possibility of Etching and Staining. For example Stoneguard http://www.stoneguardusa.com/html/ 

my company www.finalsealpros.com is certified in installing Stoneguard and Ceramic Pro coatings

• patte2864
    5 years ago
    To mustbejay. I am in Michigan as well and am struggling with this decision. Could you tell me where you went to look at slabs and could you post pictures of what you went with?
    Many Thanks!
  • MLK K
    4 years ago

Looks so elegant! Love it, I looked at it today, and it looked a little different. However, concerned about the etching too. I live with "animals" who love to make juices.

• Angie
    4 years ago

Has anyone who has placed Matarazzo countertops in their kitchen regretted their decision?

• dbkstl
    4 years ago

I don’t regret choosing Matarazzo at all! We do not baby the countertops and so far so good! They were sealed when installed. No staining or etching. We have the honed finish which I think helps. I did just get a minor chip on the edge near the sink while doing the dishes but the quartz I had in our previous home chipped around the sink also. It’s not noticeable.

• Linda Hunt
    4 years ago

I fell in love with Matarazzo today and was told It’s a mix of quartzite and dolomite. I am worried about it being too prone to stains, etching etc. I’m getting so frustrated as I’m building with Toll Brothers and their choices for countertops sucks! As Angie asked...who has gone ahead with it and how is it going?

• dbkstl
    4 years ago

As long as you seal it every year, it’s great!

• Linda Hunt
    4 years ago

It sure is pretty. What do you seal with?

• joniclemmer
    4 years ago

Hello Dbkstl,

I LOVE your matarazzo countertops. I think I am picking those for my kitchen, which will have BM White Dove cabinets and BM Wrought Iron. What color of white are your cabinets?

• dbkstl
    4 years ago

Our cabinet brand is called US Cabinet Depot and the color is just their generic white. I'm sorry I don't have a specific name for the color. I will say that the countertops have both cool and warm tones so they will blend nicely with any white you choose. I am still loving the Matarazzo after living with it for over a year. It has proven to be just as low maintenance as the quartz we had in our previous home!

• Katherine Northrop
    3 years ago

Thank you for your comment dbkstl. Here I am almost 2 years after your post and wondering how your Matarazzo countertops are holding up. I’m about to put it in my kitchen, but everyone is scaring me about how hard it is to maintain. What do you think now since you’ve had it 2 years?

• dbkstl
    3 years ago

Katherine- still loving the Matarazzo! Overdue for annual sealing but still no stains or discoloration. With all of us home the past six months, we’ve used our kitchen extensively and the countertops are perfectly fine with more use than usual. And like I’ve said in previous comments, we (2 teenagers who like to cook and a husband) do not baby the countertops. So whether it’s called Dolomite or Marble or Quartzite, it really doesn’t matter because it’s not as scary or high maintenance as others would warn you! Go for it! Enjoy!

• Katherine Northrop
    3 years ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!! You made my decision for me!!! Thanks!!!

• B N
    3 years ago

@dbkstl do you have a picture of your slab ? I saw a Matarazzo today and it’s pretty but I’m so scared to use it .

• B N
    3 years ago

@Katherine Northrop did you end up using it ?

• dbkstl
    3 years ago

Beatriz- Scroll up in this thread and you’ll see the photos I posted :)

• B N
    3 years ago

@dbkstl looks very nice ! Are you still happy with them ? Are they truly heat resistant ? Did you use a sealer ?

• Kelly
    3 years ago

I am so happy that I found this amazing post! So much great information. If anyone else chose the Matarazzo and used it in their kitchen, I would love to know how it’s going. houzz://user/dbkstl, thank you for all of the information you have posted. I’m hoping you are still loving your counters.

• psegovia
    2 years ago

What is the crystal content in your Matarazzo dolomite? I am about to install a Calacatta Berrini dolomite in my kitchen which looks quite similar to the Matarazzo, but i am concerned that the crystals will be more noticeable when i hone the slab, as they “ pop” more , but i know a honed surface. will reduce etching. The crystals are less noticeable in the polished finish and im not sure which way to go.

• Olga S.
    2 years ago

Its other name they call to Matarazzo? I saw something similar they called speciality quartzite other name like dolomite. also calacara Matarazzo? what is difference

• PRO
    Final Seal Pros
    2 years ago

Honing a marble does not reduce etching at all. The idea is that the surface is already dull/matte so it isn’t as noticeable. However, honed actually can stain more easily than polished.

• Olga S.
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Quartzite Stoneguard surface protection on 2018. what is the name of the quartzite?

• Christine Hoffman
    last year

Anyone here other than dbk go ahead with matazzaro and how is holding up? Stains, etches, scratches? Do you have to baby it? Dbk you have had it for a few years now. Holding well? Any tips on what to do and what not to do?

• Eileen D
    last year

@Christine Hoffman I am also considering Matarazzo. Curious anything you have learned? Over and above this string, of course :)

• Kelly
    last year

We have had our countertops for 21 months and we absolutely LOVE THEM! They were properly sealed when they were installed, which is extremely important. No major issues, but we have had a couple of chips in the seating area of the island due to my daughter knocking into the counter with her chair. We clean the counter everyday with Weiman Granite and Stone. We will reseal the counters at 24 months to keep them shiny. The countertops are also in our bar/coffee area and an office area and they are perfect. You can‘t treat them like you can granite, which we used to have, but this is the look that we wanted. Coffee and wine spills have been left overnight and wiped away with ease, but I attribute that to the counters being sealed properly from the beginning.

• Diane Friedman
    9 months ago

This is a gorgeous kitchen!

• kmagnuss
    8 months ago

Can I see pictures of people’s kitchens with this Matarazzo Quartzite? I am trying to buy this now and it looks so different from batch to batch. I think I like it with large crystal chunk areas vs the veining style. Thanks in advance!

• Viktoria Bondaruk
    7 months ago

Wanting to add to this thread that we got the Matarazzo quartzite in our newly remodeled kitchen 10 months ago and we are loving it!!! We have found it can* etch and have two spots that have come out. Once from a wet wooden cutting board, used as a drying board and caused the wood to leave a stain. That was my fault. Got it mostly out with baking soda trick. Another one was a missed left over drink spill that wasn’t wiped up possibly something acidic. But we still love the live stone look. It’s something quartz can never ever have ; the unique look and feel is something special. Every time I wipe it, i fall in love again! It does have stronger variations in some places but with our neutral style, it was the right amount of interest for the overall kitchen look.

• kmagnuss
    7 months ago

Your kitchen is absolutely stunning. I think this countertop is truly the best balance between marble and durable quartzite. I’m so excited to get mine installed in the next couple weeks!

• kmagnuss
    7 months ago

Question - what is the height of your walls? You’re making me Jones for those beams. But our ceiling height is standard, not tall.

• Viktoria Bondaruk
    7 months ago

we have a 9'2" tall ceiling! not super tall I would say (this is a remodel project!) but slightly higher then average I think.

• Lia
    2 months ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. I’m leaning towards the matarazzo quartzite for the countertop and island. The only issue I have is that the stone is available in 3/4 inch. My husband prefers the 1-1/4 inch since we have that in granite right now. Can you please tell me the thickness of your countertop and island quartzite? And any opinions on 3/4inch?

• kmagnuss
    2 months ago

Update! I got the Maratazzo quartzite and it’s amazing….though we have been told to be cautious with citrus, wine, etc
    So far so good!

• Lia
    2 months ago

Last thing, is the thickness 2cm or 3cm?

• kmagnuss
    2 months ago

2cm… we would have preferred 3cm. On the other countertops, we went with porcelain, which you can get built up to 3cm. Porcelain is very durable, stain proof.