SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sangbo_nam

Blueberry container mix and fertilizer questions

Sangbo Nam
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello all,

I'm planning on growing some blueberries in containers and have been perusing the copious amounts of information on this forum to design my own plan. I was hoping the experienced gardeners here could take a look and let me know if there are any potential problems with what I intend to do.

Plants: One year old stems of Pink Lemonade and Peach Sorbet (brazelberry)

Container: One 10 gallon Smart Pot (made of fabric), one 20" wide, 10 gallon plastic pot

Potting mix: I'm planning on using a variant of the 5-1-1 mix using Safe-T-Sorb (calcined montmorillonite clay, like Turface) instead of perlite. This is just because I have it on hand, it helps retain moisture, and it's known for reducing pH in aquariums, which I figured would help with the blueberries.

Fertilizer: Since, as far as I'm aware, the 5-1-1 mix doesn't have many nutrients, I plan on mixing in some Down to Earth Acid Mix (https://www.downtoearthfertilizer.com/products/blended_fertilizer/acid-mix-4-3-6/) with the soil. This contains calcium and magnesium, so I take it I wouldn't have to supplement with gypsum and epsom salt.

I've also seen many people here recommend ammonium sulfate to speed up growth in young plants, so I would do as fruitnut suggests and water them weekly with a tbsp of AS in 2 gallons of water.

Specific Questions:

1. Would this potting mix be usable for a few years, or will it degrade and need to be replaced every year?

2. Are all nutrient needs met with this plan? Aside from nitrogen, I would be relying on the DTE Acid Mix above for most of my nutrients. As it's an organic fertilizer, which I've read breaks down inconsistently in containers, would I be better off with a synthetic controlled release fertilizer? If so, what brand/type should I use?

3. I've heard that fabric pots act differently because the moisture can be wicked into the ground, so they do not have drainage problems. Given that, would the 5-1-1 mix be a bad choice, and should I go with something more peat-heavy instead?

Thank you for reading this long post, and for any tips/advice you may have. I'm very new to this forum and have been trying to process a lot of information in the past two days, so it would be great to have some feedback.

Comments (17)