SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misplacedtxgal

Need advice - crown molding on cabinets were installed upside down

misplacedtxgal
6 years ago

Someone please talk me off the ledge!! Our carpenter installed the crown molding on our new cabinets at our cottage upside down. He said that was the only way to install them. And he is correct if they are to be mounted to the face of the cabinet. However, apparently they are to be mounted on the top of the cabinets and not the face. So I have cabinet people pointing the finger at the carpenter and the carpenter saying it's not his fault and he's never heard of mounting it on top. There were no instructions, but he also didn't ask me.

He is going to try to rip down that 1.25" vertical piece at the top down to .5". If this doesn't work I don't know what to do. If we reorder more crown and install in on the top there will be holes on the face of the cabinets. Gal I'm working with did say we could order a trim piece to cover the holes. However they expect to be paid for the material and carpenter will want paid to re-install.

So who is to blame? Who should pay to correct this? I'm afraid it's going to be me!

Comments (24)