SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joannebryan34

Original 1930s walls uncovered in kitchen-- bead board and 24" studs!

Joanne Bryan
6 years ago

We're installing new kitchen cabinets in our 1930s farmhouse in a few weeks. We've already removed the two most recent layers of wall covering (1/4" sheet bead board then wallpaper), and are down to the 1/4" 1970s faux-wood sheet paneling. We've removed one section of 1970s paneling to reveal the original 1/2" *real* wood bead board attached to studs that are 24" apart (should be 16"). And of course, no insulation in the walls (we're in Tennessee).

We were originally planning to put 1/4" drywall over the 1970s wood paneling, but when we spotted the original bead board at the edge of the paneling, we decided to pull it off, and depending on the condition, either caulk and paint the bead board or cover it with 1/4" drywall. It's actually in pretty decent condition...

Considerations & Questions:

-- It's almost certain there's lead-based paint on the original bead-board. Its condition is pretty good despite a ton of nail holes, so we could probably get away with caulking the joints, filling the nail holes, and painting without sanding it (much). Or do you think it would be better/safer to just cover it?

-- Do we NEED to add studs or other bracing? Can we just use heavy-duty wall anchors for the upper cabinets when/if necessary? If we have to add studs or bracing, how would one do that? I am very hesitant to try to remove the boards.

-- The whole house is pretty drafty-- would the 1/4" drywall provide enough insulation to be noticeable? Is 1/2" walls too thin?

-- If we leave the bead board exposed, should we use latex paint, or would oil-based be better for coverage?

Any other advice? Pros and cons to leaving or covering the bead board? What would you do?

Thanks!

Original wood bead board from 1930s. I assume the holes at the bottom were made in the 70s to install the outlets and then covered with paneling.

The original bead board is in pretty good condition! I think it just needs some caulk and a coat of paint!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio