SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshtx

Hope Anew - finding the dream again

joshtx
6 years ago

I went to the Farmers Branch Earthkind a nd Trial Gardens yesterday with the boy and the pup. We spent about 4 hours walking around, smelling everything, and discussing the history of some of the roses they were growing. Most of the Earthkind trials have finished, and it appears that David Austin is now using the garden space to test their roses (I suspect they may be trying to get an Earthkind status for them to boost sales.)

But imagine my surprise when I turned a corner, and ran straight into Frederic II de Prusse.

Some of you may remember that this rose is my absolute favorite. I think it's one of the best cultivars for the South, with its love of drought and heat, while being impervious to blackspot and pests. The rose in my profile picture is actually Fred! I used to grab handfuls of bouquets of him and bring them to my late grandmother when she was sick in the hospital. It always brightened her day, and she loved this rose as much as I do. The nurses would always compliment her on the flowers she had, saying that they wished florist roses looked so pretty and had such an incredible fragrance.

Frederic II de Prusse came to the US only a couple years ago, from the last import of Vintage Gardens, and there were only a few plants of him available. The hubby and I have worked to see it preserved in North America by sending it to multiple people and public gardens so that it can live on and hopefully enter commerce. This hasn't happened yet. Unfortunately, a couple months ago my mother plant caught RRD and had to be ripped out, along with half of my garden. I was absolutely devastated and swore off roses as long as I was still in Texas. I had already lost Pavillon de Pregny, and then I had to watch as the workers systematically cut down and dug out 5 years worth of love, hopes, and dreams. I was absolutely heartbroken, and couldn't see a way forward. It was all gone, and there was no coming back from it unless I wanted to spend a couple thousand dollars to import from France.

Until yesterday. When I saw my rose again. We had been leisurely strolling around the gardens, but when I read the tag I came to a screeching halt and almost fell over. I started yelling for Patrick to come see what I had found. And I would be a bald headed liar if I said I didn't stand there and start crying. Maybe it was the fact that he was still here, maybe it was the symbolism of losing my garden and my grandmother, and yet seeing that there could in fact be a new beginning. But man, I bawled. Bawled in public. Like an absolute idiot. And my poor husband just had to stand there and pretend like he didn't marry an absolute lunatic who was crying over a plant.

It's been a rough year, but this was something that I needed. I'm so glad to see that the dream lives on. It gave me energy to actually step into the garden again and make another Eden, however long it may last. And for the first time in a long time, I'm excited about it.

(( Obligatory pupper tax - Marik, my GSD, absolutely LOVES small humans. He is full of piss and vinegar, doing bitework, tracking, and competitive obedience while still working as a health alert and special needs Service Dog. But as soon as he sees tiny people, he hits the deck like the flattest little pancake of a Yoda dog (I call him that cause of his ears), and he just wants to love them. In the picture below, we ran into a mom and her little one in the gardens, and the little dude fed Marik half a bag of treats while Marik held his down. Marik was so sweet with him, licking his hands and gently taking treats from him ))

Comments (15)