SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mchristopher_wille

What to do about un-permitted "mother-in-law's apartment"? Michigan

Hello, my parents live on a small 10 acre farm in oakland county MI. In 2005 my parents built a 30x30 garage with 15x30 attic space. our family turned that space into a full apartment (full bath, kitchen, etc) with a 15x8 deck. all of the work was done to code or above but no permits were pulled. It was a stupid mistake not pulling the permits and has been talked about several times over the years. the only stopping point was the worry that we would have to tare out the cabinets, drywall and tile work to expose the plumbing work and electrical. Now my parents are remodeling the main house and the new building inspector came off as a total dick. Pulled up aerial pictures of the house and complained about things like a tarped up hay pile, a car behind the barn, a trailer etc. and Said verbatim "You know this is a give and take" in regards to getting a permit for the new renovation. now my parents are very worried about the apartment that they are living in while the remodel happens. my mother is convinced that this guy will make us tare the whole apartment down. If this napoleon complex throws a ti-raid what can we do? Ideally it would be great all around if we could pay the fine and get approved and put on because the whole reason for the remodel is to get the house into sell able condition, and a rent able bonus apartment would not only be very attractive but increase our selling price if we could list it. but the kitchen and bath share the same wet wall so it will be a big issue to the expose the pipes. does anyone have any ideas on best and worst case scenario? as well as what should we do?

Comments (9)