SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_43307339

1/16 inch grout lines on subway tiles?

User
6 years ago

My husband and I are renovating our bathroom and will be using plain white 3x6 subway tiles on the walls, probably either DalTile from Home Depot or American Olean from Lowes. Aesthetically speaking I'm dead set on 1/16 inch grout lines (we'll be using a medium-gray grout, not sure which one yet), but my contractor seems to be trying to push me toward thicker (3/16) grout lines. He gave two reasons: 1) He said sanded grout will hold up to water better in the shower, and sanded grout requires thicker grout lines; and 2), if the tiles aren't perfectly regular, narrow grout lines give you less space for fudging, essentially, and could throw the alignment out of whack.

What do the tile experts here think about this? Like I said, I'm really committed to 1/16 lines, so if that means buying a higher-end (presumably more regular) tile, I'll consider it. But at the same time I've seen tons of subway-tiled bathrooms on here that use 1/16 inch grout lines, including with non-high-end tiles like DalTile, so it seems like it clearly can be done. And as far as the water concerns go, my understanding is that no grout is waterproof anyway, which is why you always have to waterproof behind the tiles. Is there any reason I shouldn't insist on 1/16?

Comments (7)