SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bandypair79

Help!! No idea what to do with weedy backyard!

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I live in Phoenix, AZ and moved into a house in December. I'm a single mom, and this is my first house. Prior to this, my ex-husband and I always had landscapers, so I never had to learn a thing about lawn care. When I moved into the house, the yard was just dirt. I figured when the time was right I could turn it into a lawn. Now, the weeds have taken over. So I have a lovely backyard of weeds, dirt, and upon closer inspection what appears to be old lawn thatch in one corner near a tree (but absolutely no sign of actual grass anywhere). I've avoided hiring someone to do the yard because money is tight, but I'd like to have a nice backyard for my kids and dogs.

Yesterday, I decided to try to tackle this problem. I got out my action hoe and started hacking away at the weeds. In doing so, I discovered that there is a ridiculous amount of small rocks, places with broken up cement mixed in with the dirt, and overall the ground is crazy hard and nearly impossible to do anything with. I got about a quarter of the way done and stopped.

Now I'm at a total loss. I thought about renting a tiller, but I'm concerned about all of the rocks, cement, and the existing sprinkler system (which I'm 99% sure doesn't even work). Where do I go from here? Would it be best to hire a professional and have them take care of it? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments (8)