SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

I had so much fun

Yesterday I dragged myself up off the sofa, put on my work clothes, and went out into the wet garden to do some late cleanup of an area of Tea roses. This was down in the big garden. The roses were planted years ago, before we knew to dig good holes, and have never grown well, and the whole area is underimpressive. I cut out the worst and oldest growth of my puny straggling roses; I pulled weeds; I sheared the grass and other little plants growing in the beds, admiring the at least surface lushness of the growth; I created a degree of order as I looked the area over and made plans for fall. I had so much fun! I don't think I got to this area at all last year: DH was in the hospital for several weeks in late winter and spring and I was busy, and then summer began in mid-May and it was too hot to work in the sun; too hot even to set foot down there. So it has probably been two years since I did much in this area.

The ground is terrible. Go down an inch or two and the original gray pottery clay is still evident, in spite of a decade of planting and mulching and recycling all the growth of the bed back into the soil. More recently planted roses have been better treated, of course, and last year my helper dug several heavily amended holes where I intend to plant mostly lavenders come fall. The gray-foliaged aromatic plants lining the bed are doing fine: rosemary, lavender, shrub germander, southernwood, phlomis. I need to propagate more of these. DH built a pergola last fall in one corner where the ground was even worse than elsewhere, where we planted a Virginia creeper and where I hope to train up a hops vine that seeded there. Hops are wild and crazy plants; I'd like to have one, but under control. These are both totally tough vines, and if they do well, their shade and the organic litter they drop should help the area. I found three clumping bulbs of narcissus 'Jetfire' that have held on for years, and want to dig a hole nearby and buy a few more of the same variety for fall. The wild muscari are in bloom now and look particularly abundant this year, and there may be mixed among them survivors of cultivated bulbs I've planted at various times. I can't tell them apart.

So all this is one episode in my lifetime of attempting to turn an area of barren hillside into a garden. Improve the ground, provide a structure of plants and hardscape, enjoy whatever pleasures accompany the process. It's been raining for days, and the spring growth, the little plants, annual grass, veronicas, chickweed, wild peas, euphorbias, violets, is green and lush. That was one of the pleasures yesterday. I got rained on as I worked, which was okay; and I lost the housekey, which was not, though DH managed to break into our home. Today I'm tired and sore, but happy at the thought of a minute increase in beauty and fertility in the world.

Comments (12)