SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hemina

Kitchen design -sink/dishwasher bump out

hemina
6 years ago
Here’s my layout without the island in place.
We had to bump out the sink and dishwasher because the drain for the dishwasher cannot go through something required structurally behind it. We were trying to think of another solution...any ideas? We wanted to use an apron front sink because of height issues-I’m 5’2” and my mom is 4’8”! It makes it so much more comfortable for us. The box you see in in front of the fridge will be a pull out pantry behind/under stairs. Any thoughts?

Comments (14)

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The dishwasher doesn't need a separate drain, it usually connects to your sink drain, so if you don't like the bump-out, it can be eliminated. Also if you have a separate drain for your dishwasher make sure the drain has its own p-trap or you will have sewer gas coming into your dishwasher.

• M Miller
    6 years ago

I agree with ninigret. People love deeper counters. Standard counter depth is 24". You would still have the base cabinets be the standard 24" deep, but they'd be pulled away from the wall by a couple inches, and you would have your counters fabricated to 27". You could just do it on that one side, and leave the other side at the standard 24". People actually do this even when they do not have a pipe or something that forces them to do it, deeper counters are that good.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

thanks M Miller, for clarifying that the base cabinets would be the same depth, only the counter would be deeper.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    6 years ago

Just keep in mind that when you bump your base cabinets out, it will be more difficult to reach the window and your upper cabinets especially being 5'2 and 4'8 and you can forget about it reaching inside your corner cabinet without some sort of a stool.

In addition that will also bump up the cost of your countertop not by much but some.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

Your DW drains to the sink drain so I am not understanding the reason for a bump out at all.

• hemina
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I’m not sure I understood 100% last night what the GC was explaining-I’m going to meet him at the house tomorrow am so I’ll understand more. But he said there is a tie down bracket for a sheer wall behind where the dishwasher goes and in order for the drain(s)? to run into where the plumbing is in the slab, he needs either a shorter dishwasher (hard to find in a 24”) or needs space behind cabinets. I had deeper counters in one house and loved them, and since we have some room, I like the idea of bumping out that whole side a couple of inches.
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    6 years ago

DW drain to sink has nothing to do with the wall or anything in it.

• friedajune
    6 years ago

If you are going for deeper counters--and yes, people who have them are "converts" and say they don't know how they managed without them before--you will have to have your upper cabinets made deeper as well. Standard depth for uppers is 12". If your counters will be 3" more than standard at 27" deep, then your upper cabinets need to be 15" deep.

There are actually many people who opt for 15" deep uppers even if they are not getting deeper counters. That's because 12" deep uppers can sometimes be too shallow to store dinner plates. Many dinner plates today are 11-1/2" diameter or more. It's also easier to store larger glassware when the uppers are 15" deep. So making upper cabinets 3" deeper is a good thing. Except it will cost more.

• friedajune
    6 years ago

One more thing - the references above to 3" deeper counters so that they are 27" deep, do not include the overhang. Whether you are talking about standard 24" deep counters or 27" deep counters, you need to add to your kitchen calculations that the counters will have 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" of overhang. That is where you put your edge detail of e.g. ogee or whatever is the counter edge you choose. Your KD will know this, as will the counter fabricator, but I wanted to make sure you are aware of it.

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

Everybody's got it covered so I'm just going to say: Swap the fridge with the oven and put it closer to where the action is. You use the fridge many more times during the preparation of a meal than you do the oven.

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

14 feet between the fridge and sink is a lot of schlepping of foods to be prepped. Let's move them closer together.

• hemina
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi-thanks for al the input! We aren’t showing the island in this version but there is an island sink for prep on the island so we will have water/trash closer to fridge. I had the oven and fridge switched but then was concerned with not having a counter nearby. I wish we’d just do a range with one oven under the counter on the outside but my hubby really wants the double oven. I had also thought of putting the fridge on the opposite end of the L but that blocks a main artery to clean up sink.
  • Fori
    6 years ago

You might want to run this by the kitchens forum (should be linked at top) as well.

I'd probably dump the corner upper cabinet altogether--maybe use open shelving, but you don't need it for storage I bet.

I'm a deep cabinet convert, also 5'1". 18" cabinets over 30" drawers are pretty nice, especially if you actually have them made that deep. If you don't, bump out the wall cabs correspondingly so you can reach as much as you could with the traditional setup.