SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaesgarden

Hazelnut tree planting advice

kaesgarden
6 years ago

I just planted 2 hazelnut tress. Basically I dug a hole about 4 foot or so down and when I came back an hour or so later to put Jefferson in the hole I noticed half of the hole had been flood with water. Next to Jefferson i planted another a reasonable distance away and noticed the hole was a bit wet but there was no flooding. Now these two holes aren't so far away that there should of been that much of a difference. Pretty sure i have clay soil as well. I amended with some horse manure but mostly left it clay and tried to break up the sides so the roots could travel about. It has been raining here nonstop for over a week and i mean down pouring. Today has been the first nice day. Should i pull Jefferson out or give it a month and dig a small hole and see if there is a water logging issue?

The last thing i want to do is hurt my tree, jefferson is a beautiful tree. This will be my first spring / summer on this property so i can't say whether or not how much everything will dry out. There is a Roddy growing not to far away from the site as well as evergreens.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated! Thank you

Comments (7)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm