SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenbeetle

Seeking feedback on kitchen layout

greenbeetle
6 years ago

I thought we were ready to pull the trigger on our DIY cabinet order when a friend pointed out a problem with my design, which required me to swap the fridge and range positions. (I wasn't accounting for the extra depth of the fridge when considering distance between the fridge and the island.) I'm hoping to get general feedback from the experts here before I go back to Scherr's yet again with my changes. This is a busy one-cook kitchen with 2 kids. I'm opting for an island over a peninsula, but because this is a pretty narrow kitchen we're having to take a couple walls down to fit it in.

A few things I'm nervous about with this current design:

- I'm worried about the black hole that having the fridge on the end will create. I'm planning on an EZ-reach upper in that corner for a clean look, but realize the fridge there will render that entire corner pretty useless, unless I store stuff there on the counter that want to hide. Will this look just awful?

- Thoughts on the pantry cabinet placement? I realize they seem like they're pretty far from my prep area; however, I haven't been able to figure out a better place, and I prefer shallow pantry cabs over a deep pull-out anyway. The kitchen cabinets will be white, including the island, so I'm planning on a different color for the tall pantry cabinets probably stained) and to have them not go all the way to the ceiling to make them look more like a piece of furniture.

- Does it seem like the fridge is too far from the island? I put it there to allow enough space for the walkway between the island and that corner.

- A friend suggested widening the doorway from the family room a foot or 2 so the pathway doesn't run straight into the island. Is this really necessary?

- Even though cabs will be custom, I added a 3-inch filler next to the DW to make sure it won't hit the freezer handles when opening.

- I know the 40.5-inch aisle is not optimum, but I've worked in my sister's kitchen, which has much less, and I can live with this.

Note the area around the front door/entryway is not to scale - I ran out of space. You enter the front door and go through a 4'-wide cased opening into the dining room. And the closet is the entryway coat closet.

Thank you in advance for any comments.

Comments (11)