SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boris_zakharin

First time growing tomatoes from seed, repotting questions

Boris Zakharin
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

So after my first semi-successful year growing tomatoes (bought as seedlings) in containers, I decided to try to grow a few varieties from seed. I used one of those Jiffy peat pellet "greenhouses" to start the seeds, under a single 300-watt equivalent 3900 lumen CFL bulb (I'm just growing 10 plant), and they seem to be doing reasonably well. I've read contradictory posts as far as repotting goes, so:

1. When do I repot? My most vigorous variety (Sunsugar cherry) is pushing 2.5" in height with tiny true leaves already formed (4 days after sprouting). The others are between 1-2" tall with just a hint of developing true leaves. What I've read suggests either 1/2" true leaves or 3-4" tall stem. I'm pretty sure the cherries will reach the height requirement before the true leaf requirement, while the others might get both at the same time. One of them is a dwarf variety (New Big Dwarf). Does that change anything?

2. What size pot do I use for repotting, assuming I don't want to repot again before planting out into my containers (5 to 20 gal dependng on variety)? Is that even advisable?

3. What type of pot? I have seen negative reports about peat and cow pots not letting the roots out and wicking water, but I don't want to disturb the root system either.

4. What about potting medium? Should I just get the regular potting mix that I will be using for eventual planting or something else? Should I fertilize? If so, how much and what kind of fertilizer? Regular water soluble MG?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)