SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugi_c

Can Anyone ID This Succulent?

I have this one guy indoors that I don’t know the name of, but it does this weird thing where with every new leaf, it throws away an older leaf. When I notice one doing this drying business from tip to stem, I peek into the middle and without fail, there is a new leaf. So now, it keeps getting taller with an unintentional “trunk” being exposed, but only a big rosette on top. Looks kind of like an Aeonium but the thickness of the leaves (even thicker than A. nobile) makes me doubt that.

The leaves are thicker and more rigid than anything I have—popping right off if you apply enough strength. I’ve never pulled off a healthy leaf to propagate but the couple of times I pulled off a leaf showing the tips drying again early, before the entire leaf shriveled, it has always continued shriveling without throwing a baby or any roots.

I’ve grown this is gritty mix previously, and currently have it in a potting mix heavily cut with perlite FYI. The same leaf dropping behavior has continued for two years. I’ve never beheaded it either.

Any ideas on the name, and more importantly, if this win-one-lose-one behavior is normal or should I try something else?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County