SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
izzydixie

TV/linear fireplace wall design

izzydixie
6 years ago

We have decided to place the tv above a linear fireplace in our new house. We are aware of the debate of the bad/good associated with this design, yet feel that in order to allow maximum light with a wall of windows/doors in the back and maintain an open concept, this option suits us best. Since we have not broken ground, we would like to make sure that we are planning wisely for this design. I do feel that the linear fireplace is considered more modern, but I do not want a super modern overall design theme. When looking at the plan, please note that the great room will have a cathedral ceiling (with stained beams) and doors opening out onto the covered porch. (The breakfast nook is being extended.) I plan to use light paint as to keep the room bright and light. I also had hoped for a white kitchen. My husband would like a large TV (at least a 54 inch width). I would like the fireplace to be as long as the TV or longer. Here are my questions which essentially are about how to design this tv/fireplace wall. 1. Would you do a built in with shelving on either side of the tv/fireplace or would you make that entire wall a large tile wall incorporating the tv and fireplace 2. Knowing the TV and FP will be black, yet wanting to keep the room as light as possible, do you think using black iron light fixtures, lamps, etc, will help make the black more integrated, yet subtle....maybe using matte black hardware in the kitchen? 3. Would you recess in the TV? 4. Mantle...would have liked to use a chunky stained mantle that repeated in the ceiling beams, but don't know if mantles are doable with this design? The first pic is inspirational to me, and though the design is different with the TV placed in the back, I do like the overall colors/tones, and also the stone tones surrounding the TV. The fireplace seems integrated nicely into the black tile(?)

Modern Mountain Home · More Info

Floor plan, but there have been lots of changes all around, and without getting into that...the great room, dining room and kitchen layout is the same. (Nook is expanded) Though we recognize the FP can go as in the plan, we are pursuing the option in this discussion (tv over low linear fireplace)

This pic below serves as some inspiration for the back wall. Though my windows will be white (black windows here doubles in price).

Comments (13)