SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bradi_jones

Thuja Arborvitaes on a road facing retaining wall

Bradi Jones
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi there! I need help!

I live in a rental in Seattle, along a busy road. The Thuja Arborvitaes are planted along the sidewalk within a small, thin retaining that graduates in height, up to around 4-5 ft, from ground level. My concern is that they are getting road rash on one side, a couple arent doing very well. Over the 3-4 years that I’ve lived here, they’ve outgrown this planting area, and are starting to crowd out the rocks retaining them, slightly. I want to cut a couple of them out to transplant elsewhere, but am scared that if I cut any

of them the surrounding ones will die! Not wanting to cut, just feeling the need to thin them out.

Whats your advice if you’d be so kind, and should I just leave them yol they start to die off, or should I just add soil, and hope for the best?! main point is that its a rental, That we rent from a buddy, so want to take care of things on property!!

Thanks for any advice you can help with!

To clarify, I didn’t plant them. They were here when we moved in. Also, over the years I’ve added soil and mulched only to have it run off in rain etc. In the spring I usually do a cleanup of the grass out of the area, and such, but it’s just become a large tangled mess of roots now! Not sure what to do!

Comments (42)