SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ammara_ahmed

Help with Orchid - General and Fertilizer

Ammara A
6 years ago

So I have a new orchid. My dad's workplace was about to throw one away because its flowers had dropped and the spikes had started browning. They didn't mind him bringing it home.

This is my first Orchid, so I'm kind of stumbling around in the dark here. I've cut the spikes to the nearest green node and placed it on top of some pebbles in a tray I'm keeping filled with water. It's in a place with indirect sunlight.

The leaves are bright green and unwrinkled. The roots... hmm. I'm not sure if they're okay or not. The ones going down into the pot are green, but the ones at the top exposed to air have browned near the base - the ends are still bright green.

I'd like to ask some general advice on what to do from here. One more thing I'd like to ask is about fertilizer. I've been recommended to use a 20-20-20 fertilizer. The problem is that I don't have any. I would go and buy some if I wasn't moving to another country in a few months. What I do have, though, are two other water-soluble fertilizers. One is a 24-8-16, which is meant to be mixed 5 mL in 4L of water. The other is a 15-30-15, meant to be mixed 5g in 2mL water. Which one should I use? Should I mix the two?

Also, the type of orchid is a phalaenopsis.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting