SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michel_smith

Bluestar rcs30sb (sealed burners model)

Michel Smith
6 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am considering one of these. Biggest reason to go with sealed is ease of cleanup vs open. I was hoping someone can give me some first hand usage info. I know oven can get really hot, but I hope it's not an issue for me. Some of the reasons I like it: full size oven tray support, seems to be a very good broiler element, little electronics, supposed to be well made/reliable/last a good while (ease of part replacement).

If possible, i'd love to hear some tips/ideas, negatives anyone experienced or anything else worth reading about. There aren't really detailed reviews anywhere or even youtube videos of usage...

TIA :)

Comments (40)

• John
    6 years ago

I had a Wolf sealed burner range before my current (2 year old) Bluestar open burner range. I find the Bluestar far easier to keep clean than the Wolf. I think that the idea that sealed burners have a cleaning advantage over open burners has just been a marketing driven myth.

• M Miller
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Agree with John above. People with open-burner ranges think they are easier to clean. It's subjective, but certainly a boilover on a sealed burner has the opportunity to burn in and become a permanent stain vs an open burner where the boilover can drip through to the tray underneath, which should have aluminum foil on it for easy cleanup.

• Related Discussions

36' Bluestar drop in open burner vs Capital Maestro sealed?

Q

Comments (11)
    I actually owned the BS drop-in and it was great. It wasn't the easiest to clean but it also wasn't that bad. The only pain was having to remove all the grates *and* the knobs to lift the top. That said, I wouldn't have traded it for any sealed burner cooktop. I looked at the Capital and the power wok burner but the sealed powerwok suffers the same problem as every high powered sealed burner I've seen... it spreads the heat to widely. I demo'd both prior to buying the BS and the powerwok burner had all the heat going up the sides of the wok and the center wasn't getting much heat at all. I don't think they've redesigned that burner significantly so I wouldn't recommend it if you are really serious about wok cooking. If you get the BS, get an extra grate so you can modify it to accept a wok without the wok ring. Also, the grates on it are continuous, unless you have a different definition of that than I do. There are a couple of things with the BS to make it better: 1. get the extra grate and modify it. 2. ask if they will replace the rear center and rear left burner to simmer burners. They come with the 15k burner but it looks like they used the same 9.5k orifice they use on the simmer burner. If I recall correctly, this was due to fire certification because they didn't want to put a 1" back on it. 3. make sure you get the "white-glove" warranty extension. Not sure if they still offer that but you get an extra year and a BS tech out to check things out. 4. open up the top first thing and put foil under the burner bowls. I used foil to form little catch cups that I put into the support riser to the burners. Bits of food and liquid that fall down the center hole of the burner will fall into this area that is almost impossible to clean without slicing your hands. The catch cup prevents the need to get your fingers way down there. You'll know what I mean once you get in there. IMHO, there's nothing else on the market today that can even come close to the BS if you are looking for a drop-in cooktop. As a consumer, I'd love to see another player enter the market here... hint.. hint.. BTW, the comment about loosing drawer space is because the open burner design of the BS make it vertically thicker/deeper. The BS extends about 2-3 inches lower below the counter top than average sealed burner cooktops. Good luck with your decision.
    ...See More

Bluestar and American: grate and burner sizes, and pot sizes?

Q

Comments (12)
    egganddart This is one of the biggest features of the Bluestar the unique burner design that has been used for decades as one of the best of Restaraunt ranges. The star burners cover the full bottom of the pan not just a ring around the outside. As for burner power. The Bluestar has the most powerful burners at 22K but that same burner will also go very low. it also has, on a 30" model, one 15K and the simmer burner. So it gives you the most versatility in your cooking of anything out there, plus the infra red broiler and the largest available oven. By the way the open burner design makes this very easy to clean, grates and bowls can go right in the DW or you can just invert one grate that might have something on it over another burner and burn off food. the drip pan under the top catches anything that might fall through and if you cover that tray with foil you just change the foil occasionally.
    ...See More

Round bottom wok on open burner vs sealed burner vs flat induction

Q

Comments (28)
    Thank John for additional data point on BlueStar. 3min 40sec seems to be consistent with Trevor's test on Capital 3min 36sec with 25k BTU burner. For my AEG induction wok hob @ 3.2kW, it takes just 2min 52sec to evaporate 80ml of water. It is best however to see in pictures how this behaves. This is a 14" wok that fits the curvature rather well. It sits with bottom half or third touching the recess area. This is somewhere around where the water edge is. It is also around the area where induction coil locates. You can see the darker seasoned area. That's where the main heating zone and my main cooking zone is. At a few seconds in after the induction unit starts on P, we can see bubbles forming. That makes sense as it is the area where induction coil is. At 11sec, steam starts to form. Bubbles now form a solid ring around the edge. At 16sec, steam starts to fill up my cooking area. At 41sec, this is smoking hot wok. Water is boiling vigorously though out. It is a bit difficult to see with this amount of steam, but you know what it is. This show the amount of steam from a different angle. At around 2min mark, the huge heat from induction is dying down. This is mainly because the water level drops below the area of the induction coil. So it is entering the much cooler spot. The heat that keeps evaporating the water now is from conduction, which is not the best thing for thin carbon steel. You can see that it takes quite a long time to evaporate this very small amount of remaining water. The slight red glow clearly shows where the induction coil is. At last, we get there by 2min 52sec. Cheers to induction wok hob. You're the best.
    ...See More

BlueStar vs FiveStar Open Burner; Reliability, Service, Clean-up

Q

Comments (18)
    @Denise Meyer, I have the 30" gas F&P range. Things I love about it: Powerful, responsive burners. Stainless steel top (I much prefer it to the black enamel) Telescopic oven racks (come standard with the range) Soft close oven door Things I don't love about it: No low simmer burners (1,000 BTU is the lowest) The oven isn't real large but it suits my needs. I don't bake much or cook elaborate dinners where I need a large oven.
    ...See More
  • M Miller
    6 years ago

or even youtube videos of usage...

Well you mustn't have looked. Go on YouTube, search for "Bluestar cleaning" or "Bluestar cooking" and you will find hours of videos. Here are two, but that is the extent I am going to do your research for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgyfoFimLI0&app=desktop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o1h_xwlCtc

• Michel Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi

I may not have been clear, I am sorry for that. When I said cleaning, i did not mean full clean up after a boil over. By cleaning, I mean a normal post cook clean, where you'g go and wipe around burners, grades any oil or small spills.

As for the videos. Yes, I seen those but my specific comment was for the sealed model. I also don't really enjoy some of the paid chefs videos cause to me, they are useless. But I guess I am spoiled by other kitchen appliance videos, where a normal home cook goes into many details of using the tool.

For example, first video you linked about 90 seconds of her saying it fits wok.. ok, thanks, but things I was hoping to find are like: how wide is the flame (on high, medium, low) if you put a 12" base pot vs a normal home stove you can get for $500, for example. I admit, the 2nd video is much better and I seen others, that completely take apart the stove to do a nice clean, but again, sadly, it wasn't what I was looking for.

I guess I should check youtube again for detailed videos on this sealed burner model. I just wonder how something that's been out for some years, doesn't have any detailed review or video out there.

• M
    6 years ago

Search the archives on GardenWeb. You'll repeatedly read just how easy it is to clean the open burners after normal use. It only takes seconds to have the stove ready

I have had a chance to use the Bluestar cooktop, which is more of a closed than an open design. And by comparison, it's a pain to clean. Takes on the order of 10+ min to make it look OK. That's about the same time it takes me to clean other closed brands too.

Why anybody would want to suffer through cleaning closed burners is incomprehensible to me.

• catinthehat
    6 years ago

I have not found more marketing gimmicks, half truths, and misinformation from any other kitchen appliance category than ranges. I do not fault the OP for thinking a sealed design is easier to clean, after all how could all those YouTube videos and cnet reviews be wrong?????

Michael Smith, be careful of the information given out there, the majority of it is not worth your time. Try out ranges for yourself, test drive them like you would a car. There are so many great resources on this forum as well with opinions I would trust over anything else online. Several have already chimed into your post, and there are several others as well.

Goodluck, it's a fun journey in the end.

• Michel Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the kind comments.

I was able to spend few more hours looking at it and while I didn't find exact info I was looking at, I suppose some things became clear. One of the other concerns I have is very hot oven. I saw video of someone dropping water on outside and hear it sizzle. I don't have little kids anymore, but that'd def something to keep an eye out. I imagine it's due to lack of insulation, in order to have 26x18 oven.

One other thing I was curious is the height. Page lists it 36.75" and I assume it's lowest it is.

• John
    6 years ago

The hot oven in the video was an earlier model. Bluestar made design changes to correct that problem in the currently shipping ranges (v2 models). It hasn't been an issue with my two year old 30" RCS v2.

The listed height is 36.75" to match typical 36" high counters, plus 0.75" to keep rising heat above the adjacent counter tops. The height is adjustable for different counter heights by rotating the thread mounted support legs. I don't know what the exact vertical adjustment range is, but my guess would be an inch or two above or below the listed height. Might need to call Bluestar to get the exact number if it's an issue.

Michel Smith thanked John
  • Michel Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

enzaenza

thank you very much:)

I think the biggest q I have is, what is the lowest possible height of the unit. I assume it's 36.75" + maybe up to 1" if you raise feet but if it's less, that's better for me.

My other question is if there are any 'wings' on each side of the stove, because I have soapstone counters and I installed new floor last year, which kinda removes 3/4" from the height (counters sit on concrete floor and stove on new floor). My biggest fear is that because my current stove is 36" and new maybe 36.75", that there could be a 1" gap between soapstone counter and stove. If that's the case, I have to think about how to fill it in a reliable manner... maybe clear, heat resistant silicone or something, I don't know yet

thank you:)

• M
    6 years ago

Bluestar stoves don't have "wings". They touch the sides of the adjacent cabinets and extend a small amount past the top of the counters. If the cabinets are lower than standard, that might look a little funny, but it shouldn't really impact functionality.

The reverse is a bigger issue. Our new cabinets will be 2" taller than standard. That obviously poses a fire hazard unless the stove is lifted by the same amount. Fortunately, Bluestar makes extra tall legs that can be special ordered.

You might want to give customer service a call and see if they also make shorter legs ... and whether they recommend them in your situation.

Then please report back on what you found out

Michel Smith thanked M
  • Michel Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, indeed. if they don't make 'wings' as my current range has, then it would just sit flush with maybe 1" taller. not idea, but also not the worst. They make like 600f silicone (clear) stuff and I can prob see if i can caulk it. But, ya, if I get the unit, once installed, I'll have better idea and will update:)

• John
    6 years ago

Michel:

Here is a link to the Bluestar range installation manual:

https://www.bluestarcooking.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/FreeStanding-Range-Installation-Manual-750163-1.28.18.pdf

Notice that on pages 5 and 6, it says that the top edge of the range (not the grates, but the stainless steel side trim) must be at least 11/16" above the adjacent counter top surface. This is for safety.

• davidhunternyc
    5 years ago

Hello everyone. I am thinking about getting a BlueStar 36″ CULINARY SERIES (RCS) OPEN BURNER RANGE. Model # RCS366BV2. I love the fact that it is only 24 inches deep so it will fit in my narrow doorway of my pre-war NYC apartment. I also love the fact there is no noisy cooling fan.

I do have questions though. First of all, does anyone here have a newer model of this stove so they can comment on the sealed burners? Are the sealed burners on this stove really easier to clean than open burners?

Also, on the 36 inch RCS there is only one simmer burner. All the rest are high-output btu burners. What if I want to also simmer on these other burners. Will they burn too hot for a gentle simmer?

Thank you.

• Robin H
    4 years ago

@davidhunternyc What did you end up getting? I am comparing the RCS open vs closed and have the same questions that you did.

Now back to my hunt for answers and reviews on the other threads... thanks!

• M
    4 years ago

The open burners on the range and rangetop, but not the semi-open burners on the cooktop are exceptionally easy to clean. Bluestar has recently been bowing to market pressures and has added a wider range of different products. This includes sealed burners and as of a few weeks ago, they even seem to have a dual-fuel range. I am not convinced this really plays to their strength. Lots of other players in that market, whereas they don't really have a lot of competition in the "no-frills all-gas workhorse" market segment.

There is at least one person in this forum who bought the sealed burners despite everybody telling him not to, and a few months later he was complaining how unhappy we was with his decision, as cleaning is difficult and aggressive attempts at cleaning ended up damaging the burner heads.

On the other hand, I have an open burner 30" RNB range that is coming up on ten years. It's been super easy to keep clean and the small amount of maintenance that it has required over the years was simple enough that I could do this without calling a service technician. Very happy and would definitely buy it again -- not that I have any reason to, as it is pretty much working as on the first day.

Over the years, I changed some of the burner configuration to meet my specific needs. We removed the simmer burner, as even the regular burners do a pretty good job at simmering. And if I really need to slow cook for an extended amount of time, I always use one of my ovens. So, I'd rather have 4 full power burners on our 30" range. If I had a 36" range with six burners, I probably wouldn't have bothered removing the simmer burner.

We also upgraded one of the front burners to be 25kBTU. It doesn't make a huge difference, but it occasionally is nice to have when stir frying in a wok. In general, 22kBTU is pretty powerful to begin with though.

• Robin H
    4 years ago

@M Thank you for the info! I started out looking at a customized RNB but my historic restoration is so far over budget, I can't justify the cost any more (sigh). I had actually resigned myself to a standard dual fuel with lots of bells and whistles but that makes me very unhappy!

My sister has an ancient 6 open burner commercial Wolf, all cast iron top that I love to cook on. That thing hasn't been cleaned (much) in 20+ years and it looks great. Just looks like an old farmhouse beast. LOL

I've read a lot of threads and it seems that people with the open 3 15btu/9btu RCS model are still very happy. I don't know that I would customize burners after the fact unless it was woefully lacking.

I like to mostly cook proteins whether pan seared or broiled (fish, steak) and I rarely bake sweets or breads. If I bake, its a full holiday meal (casseroles, pies). I don't do a lot of wok cooking either but am interested. I do cook curries and other cream sauces.

It sounded to me that if I needed to compromise somewhere, an open RCS would be a good fit vice an electronic, sealed dual fuel (GE Cafe) for just a "little" more but less than the RNB.

Are we all in agreement? LOL :-)

• M
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Yes, if you have to watch your budget and decide between these options, I'd go for the open burner RCS. You wouldn't make a mistake by scraping together some more money for an RNB, but honestly I expect you to love the RCS. Compared side-to-side, the differences are going to be very noticeable and you'll wonder why you didn't save up. But if you only compare to other brands, even the RCS is a very fine appliance; and it does save money. That's important.

As for the Wolf, yes those really old models are neat. My kids' school has a commercial Wolf that must be at least 20 years old, probably a good number of years more. It looks very different from Wolf's modern residential models (I just checked, apparently, it's a completely different company despite the same brand name). It has all cast iron grates and standing pilot lights. And of course, it's open burners. It's a tank. Despite concerted efforts by hundreds of kids to destroy it, it's still chugging alone beautifully. When I cooked on it, it reminded me a lot of my Bluestar. It's a very solid no-frills design.

• mumkin
    4 years ago

Compared side-to-side, the differences are going to be very noticeable and you'll wonder why you didn't save up.

@M: I had the impression that Bluestar's RCS and RNB series had converged quite a bit over time, sharing more parts in common than they once did. Bluestar's own comparison matrix (here) implies that, outside of customization options, the only difference between, say, a 30" RCS and a standard 30" RNB is 15k vs. 22k burners. Obviously they also have a different bullnose profile—what are the other differences that you find worth saving up for?

• M
    4 years ago

I think you might be right. I checked the comparison matrix, and most of the differences are probably not really important to Robin. So, it really comes down to the important part being 15kBTU instead of 22kBTU burners for RCS instead of RNB.

It's been a couple of years since I read about anybody upgrading their RCS (this used to be really popular for a while, as apparently Costco Canada had a great deal on the RCS). But I suppose it is still possible to upgrade the RCS. At least I haven't heard anything to the contrary.

If so, Robin could presumably upgrade one of the burner heads to 22kBTU or maybe even 25kBTU. Depending on where he buys the parts online, this shouldn't cost more than around $200 or $250. On the other hand, it looks as if the price difference between a 30" RCS and RNB is currently around $700 (correct me, if I am wrong; that's just what a very quick web search found). So, he'd save around $450. Not a lot in the big picture of things, but then for an already overly expensive project, every penny helps reign in the budget some.

On the other hand, if he was considering to upgrade more than one burner head, then the savings are really not worth talking about and he should instead get the RNB from the get go.

15kBTU vs 22kBTU is noticeable. But even 15kBTU is nothing to sneer at.

• davidhunternyc
    4 years ago

@Robin H Thank you for your question. I did get the 36" BlueStar RCS range. I am sorry. I told everyone I would write a thorough review of the range but I have not yet. I am torn. I don't know which criticisms I have are subjective and which criticisms I have are objective, having to do with the fault of the range. Some people have said that everyone who buys a BlueStar RCS sealed burner range always wishes that they had bought the open burner model. Do I wish I could have the open burner model to compare to the sealed burner range? Yes, but then again, I live in a small NYC apartment and I do not have an exhaust hood over my stove. I know people who cook with an open burner BlueStar and I know what it is capable of. My personal circumstances steered me towards the open burner model. Like I said, I have roommates and they don't necessarily take care of kitchen equipment. I needed a stove where I did not need ventilation nor stovetop maintenance. I still plan on writing a full review, however. The short story is that I would give the BlueStar range 3 out of 5 stars. A bit better than average rating but barely. The burners are atrocious. The burners are third party burners, made cheaply, and covered in an odd perhaps toxic powder coating that can not be cleaned. Though the higher btu's perform brilliantly the lower simmer settings are useless, except on the one low btu burner.

• M
    4 years ago

Did you ever establish that the burner heads are actually powder coated?! That's puzzling. Powder coating is essentially just a layer of plastic. I don't see how that would ever work on a burner head.

On the other hand, I think at one point there was speculation that the burner heads were maybe made from "pot metal". That would make perfect sense. It's a cheap, but perfectly serviceable material and many manufacturers use it for this application, as it is easy to shape. It also is easy to coat with other metals. That's why you see lots of appliance handles and faucets made from coated pot metal. Unfortunately, it also can be quite vulnerable to harsh chemicals. So, you need to be careful what you use for cleaning this material. You absolutely want to avoid any corrosive household cleaners (nothing with an excessively low or high pH) nor anything oxidizing.

This is one of the reasons, why I always recommend the open burners over the sealed ones. They are much easier to keep clean. And if in doubt, you can always throw them into the dishwasher. I haven't had to do that very often. But the few times that I did, it brought all the grates back to (almost) brand new.

Incidentally, pot metal probably also wouldn't like dishwashers. That detergent has a really high pH. Found that out the hard way, when I tried to wash some aluminum parts one day. It etched away the entire surface. I managed to buff it out. But I won't make that mistake again. Only stainless steel goes into the dishwasher, or possibly cast iron, if I don't mind the seasoning coming off.

• Robin H
    4 years ago

@davidhunternyc Thanks for that update. That's a shame about the BS closed burner quality. I understand that considering an open burner high btu option that requires ventilation is a big factor in that decision. And while I do have good ventilation planned, I had to reject some other pro models that were just going to put out tremendous heat and fumes. So, at the end of the day, I am deciding between a standard range (GE, KA, etc) that have been satisfactory for me in the past, or one with some more oomph to give me a better result. I appreciate all the info you have shared.

• Robin H
    4 years ago

@M Yes, I think its down to the 15kBTU vs the 22kBTU. And, whether 7 more BTU would make a difference to me for what I cook. I don't have a demo showroom nearby and I can only go with my own experience using standard ranges/burner types and one ancient open burner Wolf (that I love). But no real data to back it in comparison to the BS. In all cases, the burners were vastly different.

The old Wolf has very large (5"-6") ring burners that I think could put out 30kBTU on high. Boils water in 30 seconds but I could make a delicate scrambled egg easily. I tried to get my sister in CA to part with it, but she won't and it would take up my whole kitchen! Haha

I seriously doubt I would swap burners out (void warranty? not handy) but if the 15k was insufficient at some point, it might be good to have that option.

For my location (NW FL), the difference in cost between the RCS and RNB is US$1,000. The base cost for each is $3,895 and $4,895, respectively. For me, when I eliminated the custom color to save $, I also turned to a less expensive standard SS range as the "known" thing. Then, I decided to revisit the BS as maybe a few hundred or a grand more but definitely nicer features (I love a good broiler!).

It's not a matter of saving up for a better range - my full historic restoration is in full swing, $100k+ over budget (!!), and I have got to decide. Unfortunately, budget for fun stuff and finishes got sucked up by a bad foundation and 120 y.o. walls, brick, and floors. Even if I put a $300 used range in there as a temporary stop gap, there will be no saving up to upgrade later.

Given that you upgraded RNB BTUs further, it sounds like you may be a more skilled chef than I. :-) But, I will ask the BS rep if there is anywhere near here that has a demo showroom. I could make it a weekend trip if I could try them out.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. "She" is looking for all the firsthand knowledge possible, and I just love participants on the forum like you that are so helpful!

• mumkin
    4 years ago

@Robin H: I don’t know if this will help you or just drive further vacillation, but I was talking to an appliance dealer last week who said that BlueStar had sent him a notice that open-burner RCS models could now be ordered with custom colors. I pressed him on the point, since they only publicly offer color on the sealed-burner RCS, but he was adamant about it. So! Consult your local BlueStar dealer if that might sway your decision. Elsewhere someone posted an image of a dual-fuel BlueStar range at the Kitchen & Bath Industry Show, so they definitely have some new things to announce soon.

• M
    4 years ago

Does the step up from 15kBTU to 22kBTU make a difference? Well, it's about 50% more power. You'll notice that. Things that might otherwise require working in really small batches all of a sudden become much easier. Is that a make-or-break deal? Hard to say. Even at 15kBTU, Bluestar makes a great range that you'll love cooking on. But it won't work the same way your sister's Wolf works. If that range is 30kBTU, you definitely will see the difference all the time.

For me, the biggest example of why 22kBTU is really nice came when frying mushrooms. I put a 14" wok directly on the flames, as that's the best way to experience the heat from the Bluestar burners, and after preheating for about 20s, I added a drop of oil and a full basket of sliced button mushrooms. On other ranges, I'd expect the mushrooms to quickly soak up all the oil, to then release water and to essentially sauté. I was amazed how on my RNB, the mushrooms actually fried. The final dish had a distinctly different texture. I am sure I could replicate the same effect by working with small batch sizes. But it was really surprising to witness this the first time.

In other words, there'll be things where you know why you spent the extra money, if you end up going this way. But only you would know whether nicer mushrooms are worth an extra $1000. The financially prudent decision might very well be to go with the RCS.

• Robin H
    4 years ago

@mumk1n Yes, I heard that too. My dealer sent me pricing for the open RCS and RNB and they both had custom color for $1250 and knobs for $400. I didn't inquire about custom trim (avail on RNB for $650 from previous quote) as the SS trim is fine for me.

I have been around the world on this research and decision. My desire is to have a stellar functioning gas range that looks like a customized vintage Ilve Majestic that is easy to service and costs under $4k. Haha
    Ok, back to earth... since I can't spend $12k on a 30" range, I started out with a custom RNB. Then after replacing 12 brick piers, $7k was also not feasible any longer.
    Around the horn a couple more times, figured I would just have to go all stainless (blech). Settled on a GE. Was not happy. For <$1k more, an RCS (with custom knobs woo hoo). Happier. Plus $1k for crisp shrooms (uh oh). Plus $1.25k for color. Right back to the start! LOL

I am NO great cook. But, I whipped up these seared sea scallops and carmelized veg for dinner last night in about 10 mins on a KitchenAid gas range. Delicious. But I was dreaming about how great crisp mushrooms would have been in it.

Thanks @M! :-)

• Robin H
    4 years ago

@M You make a compelling case for the RNB in my book!

• M
    4 years ago

Something is odd with Bluestar's pricing for their custom colors. I don't get why it costs you $1,250 extra. I absolutely do believe that that's what it costs. I just don't get why.

We recently replaced the oven door on our 30" RNB. A new stainless steel door was $400. That's also the price that I see on parts sites such as letstalkparts.com or guaranteedparts.com which are generally a good source for Bluestar parts.

While investigating my options, the customer service rep mentioned that custom paint (for the non-premium color choices) is $100 on top of that. That didn't sound too bad. So, I inquired how much it would be to buy a replacement kickpanel, and was told that's another $125 and again an extra $100 for paint.

So, the total replacement cost for our particular range came to $400 + $100 + $125 + $100 = $725 (full disclosure: Bluestar later gave me a discount, because of a known defect in my old door which initially prompted this whole conversation; I wasn't in it for the color to begin with, I just wanted my oven door to open again).

As far as I can tell, the oven door and the kickpanel are the only two parts that are painted when you order custom colors. So, for $725 you can buy these parts after market; at least you can do so for my 10 year old RNB. Maybe pricing for modern models is more?

I don't get why it would cost $1,250 as an upgrade for a brand new range, where you don't even need extra parts; you just need to paint the existing parts. Sometimes these manufacturers have really confusing pricing! It's nice that for once replacement parts don't cost an arm and a leg. It's just surprising. Or maybe you were looking at a premium color that costs a lot more? I only needed to paint the parts in a rather boring black, so it would match the black and stainless theme that Miele uses across their appliances. So, maybe my needs were more basic than what you looked at.

I didn't inquire about replacement knobs, as I am personally fine with the black knobs. I do drool over the rainbow-colored knobs that one of the showrooms around here has though. They picked a different color for each of the knobs on their appliance. Looks very cheerful in a Kindergarten sort of way. But no, I don't need that :-)

• mumkin
    4 years ago

Eep! $1,250? I didn’t get an official quote, but I came away with the impression that for 30” and 36” units paint was a $650 upcharge. Nothing to sneeze at, but oof, 4 figures is harder to justify. Might that have been the cost of a textured finish, or a custom-matched non-RAL paint formulation? Or maybe including sides (oven door and kick plate is the standard paint job)?

@M: It occurs to me: are BlueStar’s valve stems the standard D-shape? Wonder how 3rd party knobs would fare.

@Robin H: the 22k burners do show up on eBay, most recently for $200 I think. So, you could make transcendent mushrooms a nice birthday upgrade down the line, if you find that you simply must know their pleasures.

• M
    4 years ago

I do believe that Bluestar uses the standard valve stems. They generally try to use as many standard parts as possible. That's actually one of the really nice things about their design.

You'll still have subtle differences that might not make it a great option to pick a different brand's knobs. But that's probably on a case by case basis. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a third-party knob that looks good on these ranges.

It's really not too hard to find the burner heads, if you make a bit of an effort. There are several sources online. And yes, that price is about right, give or take. You also need the correct gas orifice. But you can buy that from any gas supply house or any place that repairs restaurant appliances. It's just a standard Garland orifice and shouldn't cost more than $5 or $10.

• Robin H
    4 years ago

I now know more about pro gas ranges and european color palettes than I ever thought I would in this lifetime... no, I wasn't looking at unusual or custom paint formulas. BS has up to 750 (I think) with the extended RAL colors, plus custom matches, but there are 190 colors in the basic RAL palette. I was looking at those.

The custom color body in a standard RAL # was quoted at $1250. Trim (knob rings, pulls) in another metal are $650, and colored knobs are $400. So, you can see how it mounted up.

I have a custom tile mural backsplash so I thought it would look nice to tie one of those colors. Just a mock up design below.

But, I digress... I am satisfied with the SS and a splurge on a color for the knobs. It will still pop. Best news of all (shhhhh don't tell anyone), my sales rep said order the RCS and if I want, they'll upgrade a couple of burners for me later no charge. Now I can't beat that deal!

And, sounds like I could swap out a door for color one later down the road too if I want to upgrade. Never occurred to me.

Crispy transcendent mushrooms are on their way! You guys are awesome. :-)

• M
    4 years ago

Awesome. That sounds like a great solution and I love your design. It'll all look gorgeous when it comes together.

Be careful with the back wall. Your picture shows the range with an island trim, but you probably should get the 6" backguard when pushing it against the wall.

• Horace Chan
    3 years ago

I too was looking into buying a bluestar but price difference for a 36 between RCS and RNB here in canada is over 3k. I don’t think the 7k btu difference justify it but i am worried that the 15k btu is not enough

• Robin H
    3 years ago

Horace, the increased cost in the US is half that but I couldn't justify it either. Did you look into just swapping out one front burner like my area rep offered if necessary? It's a possibility if you are disappointed with the RCS. Not sure if it matters whether open or closed burner - mine is open.

In full disclosure, my RCS just got installed this month and I haven't moved in yet. I will test out cooking on it next month and report back here!

• Horace Chan
    3 years ago

I went to a few local appliance store but none of the sales recommended bluestar. opposite to what people say on here they all said it would be hard to clean. Made me kind of wonder too. I still like the idea of a Bluestar RCS ($5400cad) but my wife got scared by the sales so our second choice is a GE Cafe/Monogram (they are essentially the same with different knobs and handles - $6800/$7800).

• davidhunternyc
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have a BlueStar RCS and if I could change your mind about one thing it's that the 15,000 btu burners are powerful. They sit quite high and the output is outrageous. I heat up pasta water quickly and I use a wok to superlative effect with the RCS. I rarely turn up the burners to their maximum setting. My biggest issue with the burners is that they burn too hot on low. Simmering is not easy. Even with the low btu burner I had to buy a diffuser to tame the heat.

With the GE Monogram, be careful. Computer chips and logic boards do not belong in stoves that reach 500º temperatures. Try to go as analog as possible.

• M
    3 years ago

I am quite happy with the simmering capabilities of my open burners (I usually use the 15kBTU burners for that). But I understand that different people have different expectations. Depending on just how low you want to go (do you need to keep chocolate just above melting point for a few hours?), you might need a flame tamer. But whenever I need that much control, I move my pot into the oven. Much more even heat.

But before agonizing about all of these questions, make sure your burner is actually calibrated correctly. Check on YouTube (or call a service technician, if you prefer that). The lower set point is adjustable after you pull off the handle. And the depending on your altitude and your gas mix, the default setting might not be quite right for you. It is possible, that you can lower the simmer power.

• Horace Chan
    3 years ago

Finally convinced the wife on a BlueStar RCS (by promising to do all the cleaning on the stove) then a deal on the Monogram dual fuel (the one wife wanted all along) came up making the cost lower than a RCS and now I am torn. Think I will give in to keep wife happy though. Thanks for all your advices. Hopefully I can get my BlueStar some time in the future.

• Robin Hoban
    last year

Just an update to my long ago post on this thread since @Sweet Stuff found and liked it. Lol. I finished that reno of historic cottage and this was my final kitchen. As much as I wanted to upgrade with a color, I couldn't justify it. So, just a pencil tile liner on backsplash to match the blue knobs. Et Voila! This is the open burner BlueStar with the standard BTU burners. It had all the power I needed so I didn't swap out for the 22btu. Maybe if you're a big wok user but 15btu will be plenty for pan searing etc. Imo. 

Sadly, I sold that lovely cottage and bought another home. Immediately swapped the electric range for this same model. I love, love, love this BlueStar range! And despite the covid appliance debacle at the time, I got it pronto! When you're a messy cook like I am (stuff flies!), cleaning is a constant thing but I put all those cast iron cooktop parts in the dishwasher and it works great. Anyway, here is a final photo of my historic French cottage kitchen. The Zephyr exhaust fan over the stove was also awesome!