SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cristina_s37

Any help for my Camellia bush?

Hello,

I am writing to ask for some help with a camellia bush which I got from Pikes a couple of years ago. I think this is its third Spring in my yard.

I had it planted in a flower bed in front of our house where it gets some afternoon sun (Atlanta area). Our lawn/garden guy planted it.

I am not sure what I did wrong right after planting - but in 2-3 years, it never looked good.

The first year it hardly had any bloom. Same last year - not much.

I remember I didn't really have it on a watering schedule the first year right after planting - so this might have been the problem.

I also never pruned it because I don't quite understand how.

I remember adding some Osmocote fertilizer last year around the roots - and this year it DID flower more.

The problem is the leaves have always been rusty and the shrub is sparse and not looking very good. I saw some Camellias in planters at some outdoor mall in our area and I got downright jealous. :-)

Any ideas what I could do to turn it around?

What may have been the culprits since it was planted, considering I hardly did anything to it (kind of left it to get established on its own and grow like a weed)?

- Too little water right after planting (as it tried to become established)?

- Too little water, in general, especially in the hot Atlanta summers? We sometimes travel over the summer for longer periods of time.

- Planted in wrong spot (facing west, afternoon sun, Atlanta)?

- Too little fertilizer?

- No pruning?

- Maybe a disease?

I attached some pictures from this Spring.

It is still blooming some but the the leaves bother me. It is also kind of sparse.

I adore Camellia blooms - so any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions