SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katie_peterson42

Questions about window quotes in West Michigan...

Katie
6 years ago

We are in West Michigan, about 15 minutes from Grand Rapids and are having a really hard time finding windows.

It seems that everyone carries brands that are not recommended here, like Alside. We have had a few quotes so far. Pella and Andersen are absolutely out of the question. My husband really wants the Marvin Infinity's but we are leaning towards the Sunrise windows since we haven't seen a quote from Marvin yet.

This is the only company in all of West Michigan that carries Sunrise and they are 45 minutes away. I did a lot of reading here on Houzz about Sunrise, but didn't realize there is a basic Sunrise window. We have asked the salesman 2 times now what line of Sunrise he'll be putting in and each time he says, "It's their best. Not the essentials, we don't do those. It's a really good window!" Which is great, but I'm skeptical. I have so many questions.

Should we stop considering the Alside windows even though the company is highly recommended by family and friends? Is $17,500 a good quote for Sunrise? Do we need to ask about sash reinforcements if we go with Sunrise? Is there another brand in Grand Rapids area that is better and won't break the bank? We live in a nice neighborhood, but we could never justify $30-50k for windows in our house.

Renewal by Andersen- $49k before any discounts, closer to $42k after discounts

Pella- $32,000 or $36,000, either way that's way too high for us

Alside 8000- $14,500, they aren't doing the laundry room door, so it will be another double hung window

Sunrise(regular sunrise) - $17,500 and we provide the laundry room door and paint interior trim when work is done.

Marvin Infinity- Still waiting on quote.

Champion-Scheduled for March 28th, but MIL paid over $18k for 5 double hung and 2 picture windows 6 years ago, so we'll likely cancel.

13 double hung windows

1 casement or awning(depends on company we choose)

1 patio slider door

In addition, they will be building up another sliding door to put in a triple slider window & making 3 of the double hung windows on the second floor longer. Going from 32" to 45".

Also, they will be turning the window in our laundry room into a doorway.S

All companies will do all the interior and exterior work that goes along with the changes, except painting the inside trim they install.

I know this got long but any information or advice is truly appreciated!

Comments (45)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    6 years ago

Ask the Sunrise salesperson if the reinforcement is included in the Sunrise quote. If it is, that's your best option by a mile.

Katie thanked Windows on Washington Ltd
  • PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

+1. You should probably expect your two incoming quotes to be on the higher end of your spectrum. At that point you will have:

4) quotes likely above $25-30k , none of which are even top performers

1)(or more?) quotes on an economy grade product that's pretty low

1) quote on a pretty good product and what seems to be a fair price.

I think that porridge is just right.... assuming of course that these guys can answer your questions and you feel that they are trustworthy. If there is any red flag to me its that they would want you to source that door. Most companies try to stay away from homeowner sourced products at all costs, as they are most often wrong, poor quality, or both, which creates real headaches in installing...

I'll add that the alterations on multiple openings is likely driving the costs up pretty significantly here. Some guys will quote it high in that case just because they don't want the job.

Katie thanked HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
  • Related Discussions

Preparing roses for winter in West Michigan

Q

Comments (2)
    I am not a great rose gardener, but mine do survive our winters. The out-of-zone rose will be questionable, particularly if we have severe freezing this winter. Last year was only bad in Dec. To prepare I let any flowering go to build rose hips. I don't cut off these last flowers blooming now. Setting hips tells the plant to prepare for winter. I make sure the bush is mulched under the stems. When planted, the bush should have had the graft knob buried under dirt to protect from frost. If you have self rooted roses, then the knob is nothing you need consider. I try to keep any dropping rose leaves picked up weekly to prevent any foliage overwintering with disease, near the bush for next year infections. After a couple hard frosts, I will put a rose collar around bush for wind protection if I think it is needed in that location. After ground freeze I fill collars with sawdust. I have it for horse bedding so there is plenty for me. Wood shavings in bags used for animal bedding work, also shredded leaves from oaks that stay stiff. You can add a couple mothballs as an aid to repel varmints.Freezing weather will quickly freeze the filler material. Waiting for frozen ground prevents varmints, voles, mice, from taking up residence in the collar amidst the fluffy shavings. They would nibble the stems all winter, leaving you with stubs by spring. Rose Collars are a hard plastic piece, flexible sheet roll, that will snap around bush. Open top allows easy filling with choice of materials. However I do plan on stem die off above the collar in my windy location. I like that graft area stems are protected, willing to sprout next spring again. You are further west, may have better snow cover than I do. We usually have some bare ground times, very drying to plants. Rose cones are also available, but can be hard to put on large bushes. Bushes can overheat in sunny weather since cones accept light and create heat inside. Will often overheat even with making holes in cones, blow off in the wind, break. I haven't been happy with them, too many problems. Collars are more adaptable to all the size bushes I have. Last quite awhile. You do have to search a bit to find them. Call and ask at nurseries. Usually sold inexpensively in package of 3's, but sell out early. Perhaps an online location would be easier. Check under rose collar. I use them to wind-protect other bushes or delicate things during winter. Good luck with your new bushes.
    ...See More

Replacement windows for SW Michigan

Q

Comments (9)
    Sounds like a good deal on a solid window deb, but just for the reference of others, the Integrity is typically a bit more costly than Sunrise or another premium vinyl choice. I'd also only recommend the wood/ultrex in that line, as the all ultrex is not anymore attractive than vinyl (most folks would say less), and the thermal and structural numbers won't stack up favorably either. The wood/ultrex is also not tops in that area, however most products with wood interior are not and that unit is a really nice bang for the buck as well-made, wood interiors go... I know that sounds somewhat contradictory, but the bottom line is that there is a generally a trade-off in performance vs beauty when it comes to vinyl vs wood. Regarding the previous recommendations: at the box store, the Plygem is the product that I'd recommend as todd mentioned (decent B level IMO), but even then , you are still running the risk on the installation side of things as box stores and "discount" window outfits typically pay less than the "going rate" to their installers in my experience.
    ...See More

MI Windows (yes, I know) questions about models

Q

Comments (12)
    I'll try, but this is not a custom house. I don't have the money to go that route in this area, so the houses are "tract" at least up to a point. If you have worked with builders to use other brands of windows in this situation I would love to hear about it. The look is mandated by the HOA, which of course is being run by the builder right now. So if I go with something else, the look has to fit into the standard. (bronze exterior on some, white on the rest, simple simulated divided lights and all vinyl) I'm also not sure about the costs associated with doing something like this. I probably can't afford a 20k outlay for windows and install when I was expecting it to be in the house cost. Eastbay: Laminated glass should make a sizable difference in some situations. It takes care of the different thicknesses of glass (since you would have two together), widens the range of absorption and as long as everything else is done right, should let your window end in the mid 35 range for STC. 3db is a big deal IMO. Then again the big deal for me is the improvement in frequencies affected, due to being near an airport. Planes make all kinds of weird noises.
    ...See More

Question about window treatment for large picture window

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks for the advice. I have ordered some swatches from Pottery Barn of their Peyton linen look drape. Hopefully one of the colors will work. I also looked at Country Curtains but didn't see anything that had the linen look that i am seeking. Does anyone know of a good source for drapery panels with that are linen )or look like it?)
    ...See More
  • Katie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you both for responding!

I also forgot to add that we are adding a craftsman style insert to the double hung windows on the front of the house as well. 5 total.

If reinforced sashes are not included, should we ask to have them to be added? Is it a deal breaker if they aren't added or they can't do it?

Before we started talking about the extras we wanted, the Sunrise salesman said it would be right around $12k for the slider door and 17 double hung windows. So $17,500 sounded fair to me for the extra work, but I really have nothing to compare it to because no one has given a break down of prices.

The reason behind us buying the door was because we only casually mentioned it was something we wanted to do in the future and didn't know if it would be in the budget to do now & didn't know what kind of door we'd want. He suggested we go look at Home Depot and Lowes and pick the door. He was very clear about not buying a door at Menards. If we pick one and have it here they will do all the work, otherwise they will put in a window. I didn't get a bad feeling about the guy at all, I actually liked him a lot.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Sounds solid... and btw, if anything, the pricing from this dealer is on the low end. If its a reputable company with good reviews, etc, then you should be in good hands... I definitely would not expect to find that product or another on or above that level at a better price though.

• Katie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I looked up their BBB rating and checked out their facebook page. Their work looks really good. It seems that they do a lot of 4 season rooms & a lot of small details to add character to houses, along with siding and windows. They have a showroom, we'll have to go visit, but looks really nice online. There are a few complaints about speed, but the guy that came out was upfront about it. Before we asked he said the lead time is 4-5 weeks for the windows and his guys work slow, so it would take about a week, maybe more to get it done, but that they do good work. I'm thinking for just $3000 more than the Alside windows, with an added door we should take the chance.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Sounds like you are on the right track...

• Katie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, HomeSealed! Do you think the Sunrise windows will be ok even if they can't reinforce the sashes? This is something that I see mentioned on a lot of posts. Our windows are 31" wide.

• PRO
    Window1
    6 years ago

31” should be fine either way.

Katie thanked Window1
  • PRO
    6 years ago

Personally I'd insist on reinforced on that product. Some others are not a big deal, but if it were me, I'd go reinforced regardless of width on that particular line.

• Katie
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    If they can’t reinforce, what brand should I look to next?
  • PRO
    6 years ago

I would hope that they could, there are numerous ways to get that done depending on which line they have the "license" to carry.... Softlite Elements/LS, and almost any line from Okna are very highly regarded as well, in fact those two are probably held even in slightly higher regard than Sunrise. The former seems to be available everywhere, where the latter may or may not be in your neck of the woods... Polaris is another good performer. Ultraweld is their flagship.

• Katie
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks, HomeSealed. The sunrise will just be the standard sunrise window. Unfortunately, we don’t have access to Soft-lite, Okna, or any other Sunrise window. We were going to get a quote from a Polaris dealer tomorrow, but I think my husband canceled because he didn’t get a good feeling from the company, also they were coming from hours away.
    Our other local options are Ply-gem & Jeld-wen. I think that’s about it.
  • PRO
    6 years ago

The limited options for dealers around you can be a little problematic, but again, they should be able to get the reinforcement for you which makes it a moot point.

...I'd pass on those last two btw. You could do worse than Plygem's higher end (Great Lakes) models, and in fact, they share some ancestry with Sunrise (same family started both companies). That said, Great Lakes has been run by conglomerate corporate "cost-cutting" types for several years now since being purchased by Plygem. What was once a pretty highly regarded window got stuck in time like grandma's basement rec room...probably even diluted from that point IMO.

• Katie
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    A little update since this afternoon. I’ve found a few company’s around that carry Simonton & Windsor windows. Thoughts on those brands? Better than Sunrise standard window?

Also, my husband emailed the Sunrise dealer about sash reinforcements and was quickly called back to be told he didn’t know what that meant. Is this a red flag?

Our quote is only good until the 23rd & I didn’t realize until now that there is a $6,200 Home Show discount on it. The quote was originally $25k, then discounts applied to bring it down to just under $18k. I’m sure it was marked up to be marked down, but $18k is better than $25k any day.

One last question...my husband is convinced he wants the Marvin Infinity windows, even if it means paying $25k. My mom just put these in her house and they look great, but are they worth the extra money over the standard Sunrise window? Are we going to get more years out of them than the Sunrise?

Thanks again to everyone. This has been the most difficult decision we’ve had to make as home owners, so I really appreciate you all taking the time to help out!
  • PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    6 years ago

Simonton is not better than the Sunrise, assuming that we are talking about the reinforced option.

As much as I want to continue to tell you to stay with the Sunrise, the guys you are talking to sound a bit like clownshoes. If they don't know what the reinforcement and can't give you a straight answer...I'm not sure why I would trust them with the home to be honest.

Discounts are fine and nearly every sales company in the world employs them in one capacity or another. That said, a $6K discount that is supposedly going to expire while they can't answer a simple question feels a bit greasy in my opinion.

The Marvin might be worth it to your husband depending on what he wants. If he is convinced that he wants thermal and efficiency performance, he is going to be disappointed in that comparison. If he is looking for a more wood-like looking window, the Infinity does meet that criteria better than the Sunrise.

Just depends on what the "IS" is for the consumer at the end of the day.

Katie thanked Windows on Washington Ltd
  • Denita
    6 years ago

Katie, have you checked recent references for the company you are considering? I mean actually spoken to the customer(s) of a job that has been recently completed. It is a common tactic for a sales rep to suddenly say there was a $6k discount applied that expires on X date. Was it on your written quotation? If you don't have a written itemized quote, how are you able to adequately compare windows and prices? Don't rush into a major purchase. Do your research. Remember, the sales rep doesn't install the windows. You want to know all about their customer service which doesn't include the sales process.

Katie thanked Denita
  • fridge2020
    6 years ago

Good advice from windows on wash. Before ditching the sunrise guys, call in and see if you can speak to someone else more knowledgeable on product like a sales manager or owner. This might just be one jabroni sales guy that doesn’t know much. If it’s a high level guy that you are talking to then I’d probably ditch these guys. Like windows said, Infinity is nice, but not the most efficient or airtight.

Katie thanked fridge2020
  • Katie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, Windows on Washington. I really did like the Sunrise guy when he came to the house & he is very quick to respond to our questions, but I don't feel comfortable not knowing exactly what I'm getting. We are having such a hard time because we just don't have many options in this area. Seems everyone goes with Alside, Hanson's, Wallside, Window World...& we aren't interested in any those.

• Katie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Denita, I haven't spoken to any actual customers. I honestly don't even know how to go about doing that.

The discount was supposedly from their Home Show in Muskegon. We didn't attend it, but we did go to the Grand Rapids Home Show, so he added it. We know its not an actual discount. This is probably what he would have charged us if there hadn't been a Home Show & it was listed on the quote as a home show discount of $6,200.

We absolutely will not sign this contract just because there is a time limit. We didn't even know there would be a time limit until we got the revised quote yesterday. We just don't want to discount them yet because we don't have many options.

• Denita
    6 years ago

Ask for referrals from the sales rep. That is one way to speak to customers. Get as many as you can get and randomly select a few or contact many to get a good idea of the work performed. Also check the review websites like yelp and ripoffreport and other complaint websites for the company name.

Katie thanked Denita
  • colbran
    6 years ago

My parents are in the UP of Michigan and ordered their log home from Holland, MI. They used Loewen Windows manufactured in Canada I believe, and they are fantastic windows. I don't mean to throw another wrench into the works, but you might try them. We just did a remodel and I'm using Pella Windows. Were they more expensive, yes. BUT, I wanted the blinds within my windows and they were the only ones who had the mechanism the way I wanted it (no strings outside). Anyway, just wanted to throw in Loewen as an option. I have NO IDEA whether they are able to get them to you or not, but my folks' windows and doors are wonderful and my dad is the pickiest person I know.

Katie thanked colbran
  • Katie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

fridge2020, Thank you. We might have to let go of the idea of Sunrise windows. The Marvin sales rep said he'd have the quote to us by Saturday, Sunday at the latest... it's Tuesday now and no quote.

We absolutely want/need the extra work done to the windows, like enlarging the 3 upstairs windows, for safety reason. So, maybe our best bet is to go with the Alside 8000 windows just to get the actual construction work done by a company that comes highly recommended in our area. If they last 10 years it would be fine for that price, I suppose.

• Katie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, colbran! I'll have to do more searching. We are right in the middle of Grand Rapids and Holland, so when I search I don't get results for either town.

I've heard Loewen and Lindsey are good, but its finding them & a good company to install them I'm having trouble with. I also reached out to Okna and found one dealer in our area, but they have only 1 star reviews online. I don't want to pick a good window, then have it installed poorly.

Pella is out for us. Even if the price was in line, we did not love the salesmen that came. They were here for 3.5 hours and we basically had to kick them out. They wanted us to sign right then. I understand that's common, but we got a bad feeling from them.

I loved the Andersen guy, but I was shocked by the quote. I know what my mom was quoted for full tear outs in her house by both Marvin & Andersen with more complicated window sizes and our Andersen quote was more than double for just replacements.

• colbran
    6 years ago

Here in my midwest (Iowa, eastern portion), they like to use Marvin and Andersen as well, but my builder preferred Marvin. The issue I had was a string hanging outside the window through a hole to be able to operate the blinds, or we would've probably gone with them (and their top of the line model if possible). That said, our Pella guy was young, and frankly, one of the better guys we worked with. I can't say enough about him. He has been about the only one though!!!! I won't even get into my stories about the remodel. Hope you can at least research Loewen and see what comes up for you. I've never heard of Okna, so that's a new one for me. Again, my dad basically built his log home from Holland and those were the windows and doors he went with. There is no one pickier on earth than him. Old school, you know!!

Katie thanked colbran
  • PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

From everything I've seen about Marvin, it's a quality window and the $25K price is probably fair. It's good you're not rushing the decision as it's not one that can be fixed easily or cheaply if you made the wrong decision. It's troubling that the Marvin rep is late on the quote but for me, it wouldn't be a dealbreaker. If I were building a home I'd stretch the budget as far as I could to include Marvin windows.

I hope you don't mind a kitchen guy commenting about windows, but I've seen a lot of different kinds of windows go into houses and I've talked to many homeowners about their building experiences.

Katie thanked Carolina Kitchen & Bath
  • PRO
    6 years ago

Katie, it seems like this deal is all over the place as far as options. I might suggest a step back to assess your priorities, choose a material that fits them, and then pick a great window in that material. You have not narrowed that down yet if you are considering vinyl, wood, and fiberglass. Here's a quick rundown:

Wood: The brands mentioned (particularly Marvin and Loewen) are very good. Andersen (non-Renewal) is decent as well. Pella?... I'd do some more research on the "viewed " to be the best window. The reason to go with a wood window is 99.9% aesthetics and to fit the character of your home if needed or desired. The rich look and feel of a stained wood windows cannot be matched by any other material. That said, they will generally be pretty costly, have the worst warranties, worst energy efficiency, require the most maintenance (the interior finish) and shortest life span. If properly maintained a good wood window can last a very long time, but in our microwave society where people want it now and don't want to worry about future maintenance, that can be problematic.

Vinyl: Typically the bang for the buck champ. The caveat with vinyl is that you MUST pick a quality window. Vinyl gets a bad rep from some, but that due to the economy grade junk that is used in newer construction and/or sold by Window - world, depot, etc types of bargain companies. Think Walmart of windows for those lower price options. A high end vinyl window will offer performance that bests most other materials, and with low maintenance, a reasonable cost (typically), and best warranty. Some people will tell you that "plastic windows" aren't as strong or efficient as wood, but thermal and structural ratings (actual data) says otherwise. The downside of vinyl is appearance compared particularly to wood, and the reputation among some circles which again is due to exposure to lower end products.

Fiberglass and composites: This is where things get a little funky. First, throw all of the sales propaganda out the window. The tensile strength of a 16' piece of solid fiberglass vs a 16' piece of solid vinyl has precisely zero to do with the strength of a window assembly. Design pressure (DP) is a great rating to consult for that purpose. Fiberglass and composites try to be the best of both worlds by offering great performance, looks, and low maintenance/good warranty, but rarely achieve all of those goals. Typically they are priced very high (as you've already seen), offer marginally better looks than some of the nicer vinyl lines, and marginally better performance than wood if at all. There are some Canadian fiberglass windows that have excellent performance, as well as a composite like the Starmark that would fit that as well, but the big ones (Infinity and Renewal) are not killer performers. Neither are bad windows don't get me wrong, but neither offer great performance (u value, air leakage, DP, condensation resistance, etc) nor do they offer that same richness as real wood. They are really more of a compromise in my opinion in just about every regard except price. As an anecdotal reference, I've pulled out 9 year old RBA windows that had the wood laminate degrading due to condensation moisture, and I've pulled out 9 month Infinities due to air leakage.... And I offer Marvin's as an option to my clients so I'm not trying to bash them by any means, I just want to help you find a product that meets your expectations.

All that said, all three materials can be the "right" choice in a given set of circumstances. Given your comments on performance, budget, and the fact that you have already seemingly approved of the appearance of a nice vinyl window like Sunrise, I tend to think that is the direction that would best suit you.

On vinyl, I'd suggest three things:

1) I like the advice from fridge. Maybe you got a bummer of a sales guy. Try to speak with someone else there about the sunrise option.

2) Dig a little more on the Okna dealer. Excellent product, and they are typically picky about who carries that line in terms of quality dealers. There could be exceptions to every rule of course, but maybe you just happened to see one site that had a tough customer review? If you check multiple (BBB, Google, Angies, Home Advisor, etc) and all are not good, then nevermind that.

3) Did you contact Softlite for dealers? They have the largest network of dealers of all three of these products to mu knowledge, it seems crazy that they would have none in your area... Same goes for Polaris which has a pretty wide network of dealers.

• Katie
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for your input Carolina Kitchen & Bath! That is exactly how my husband feels about it. He thinks if Marvin comes back at $25k or less we should go with them.
  • Katie
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Millwork, I won’t even consider the Loewen’s then. We aren’t interested in wood windows at all! Thanks you for the heads up!
  • Katie
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    HomeSealed, we won’t even consider wood windows. We are replacing wood & know they can be good, but we don’t want the upkeep. I didn’t realize Loewen is wood only.

We honestly thought for sure we were going with vinyl. There wasn’t another option for us until we realized how hard it was going to be to get a decent vinyl window around us. That’s when my husband started to consider Marvin.

I was set on the Sunrise until sash reinforcements came up. I know nothing about windows, except what I’ve read on Houzz.

We had Polaris scheduled for a quote today and they cancelled on us, not rescheduling. They were the only company who carries them around here, that I’ve found, & they were coming from 2 hours away.

I contacted Soft-lite and they have one construction company that services our area. We are going to call them, but that company is known for doing high end homes and businesses, so I’m not getting my hopes up.
  • PRO
    6 years ago

Why wouldn't you get your hopes up? That sounds like exactly what you want, someone that has the quality reputation and product to fit high end homes... I suspect that the price will come in under the Infinity, and you will have a great performing product to boot. If anything that sounds like a promising option to me.

• Katie
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    You’re right, HomeSealed. I’m going to stay positive and see what they say!
  • quasiexpert
    6 years ago

Have you considered Andersen products that are not RBA? We can usually beat them on price and only handle non-RBA Andersen.

Katie thanked quasiexpert
  • Ron Mexico
    6 years ago

Katie, see what the Softlite guy says, I think you will probably be pleasantly surprised. Quasiexpert: the op specified no wood windows. Unless Andersen has a new and improved vinyl window that is not Silverline or American Craftsman, those are not great options.

Katie thanked Ron Mexico
  • quasiexpert
    6 years ago

Ron, Andersen has the 100 Series, which is by no means a wood window.

• Ron Mexico
    6 years ago

At first glance I thought you said the 100 series was by no means a good window. I'd agree. But I digress. The op did not specifically say that she did not want want a vinyl window that had saw dust mixed into the formulation, was extremely bulky, and performance that struggled to best wood windows which is not a compliment.

Katie thanked Ron Mexico
  • Katie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We haven't considered Andersen 100's because we haven't heard good things...if they are better than the Alside 8000's, maybe we should.

The final quote for Alside is going to be closer to $11,500. That's pretty appealing, but we went to look at them today and I'm not impressed with the quality at all. I think the Pella's we ordered from Home Depot and put in ourselves at our old house were much nicer.

I don't think we are going to pursue a quote on Softlite. The company that sells them will only come out for a quote if both my husband and I are here. That's a huge turn off. Maybe there is a reason behind it?

We absolutely have to get the sliding door replaced ASAP(carpenter ants), so we're going to discuss the best option for that tonight. Hopefully we can figure something out with the windows, too.

• quasiexpert
    6 years ago

Interesting observation, Ron. And your opinion. I'd take the 100 Series over most vinyl windows any day-and I have good quality vinyl windows in my house. So tell me exactly why the 100 Series with the Fibrex material(in use since the mid 90s in their 400 Series TW line) is by no means a good window?

• PRO
    6 years ago

Katie: What do the reviews about this company say? ... Its true that the "both parties present" thing could be a red flag for high pressure sales, but it could also mean that this is a well organized company that operates efficiently. We generally ask for the same, as do most companies that do a certain level of volume. Its just much more efficient to go over everything once, get all of the colors and options chosen once, etc. if everyone that is part of the process is present. If not, it often takes a second or third trip, 3, 4, 5 different quotes with different options etc. Again, that's fine, comes with the territory, but at the same time its much nicer when everyone is able to get together and work through these things so that an accurate price can be presented. We don't insist on this, but again, definitely helps streamline things which is really best for everyone...

all that said, I asked about reviews because they will probably tell the story that you are looking for. Are there comments stating that "the guy was here for 3 hrs and wouldn't leave", and things of that nature? If so, I agree, steer clear. If not, if its mostly sunshine and roses, once again I'd suggest to give them a chance. In summary, they carry a great product, work on high end homes, and seem to run an efficient organization. These are good signs on the surface IMO, not reasons to cancel. Just my $.02

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

I'dtake Homesealed's advice , but keep them on a short leash, this is you're party.

I seen no problem with the Fibrex material , but the 100 series is a single hung window that utilizes a pocket sill and is side loaded, 3 strikes! I do like there casement window though.

Katie thanked toddinmn
  • Katie
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    HomeSealed,
    The reviews online say they are high pressure and want the contract signed same day. Of course there are a few 5 star reviews also, but more 1-2 stars complaining about sales tactics.

This was the first time I had heard both husband and wife had to be home. I can see now why that would be helpful to the salesman.
  • PRO
    6 years ago

Fair enough Katie. If the preponderance of reviews are negative as opposed to positive, I can see where you are coming from. Ideally, you’d find a local company with a great reputation that carries a great product, and at a fair price. If that doesn’t exist in your market, you will have to continue digging to determine the least of all evils. The fact that these high pressure guys offer a good product line tells me that they at least care somewhat about quality, but if you can find a smaller guy that offers a great window that may be compelling as well.... Sometimes you just have to trust your gut once you get past the product and company qualifiers.

• David Milford
    5 years ago

Katie,

I am having the same problem in selecting in michigan as well. May I ask what window you went with? and what are your thoughts?

• Katie
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    David,
    I really wanted to come back here and say I got the windows I wanted, but we went with the Alside windows instead. We really just didn’t have a good feeling about the other companies & I knew that other people just paid half what they were wanting to charge us. I know it’s probably the busy season, so they can do that, but I can’t buy something from someone I don’t feel good about, no matter how good the product.

The guys just started this week and will be back Monday to put in the replacement windows and finish everything up. So far, I’m really happy I went with my gut. The windows are not even good looking compared to the other windows we saw, but they are worth what I paid and I definitely did not feel like the Pella‘s or Andersen’s were worth what they quoted. The guys doing the work have done an excellent job on the
    construction portion so far and they are clean workers & very respectful.

So far with just one window and a sliding door replaced our house is holding a steady temperature and it never did before. You couldn’t sit in the dining room in the summer without breaking a sweat. You can’t even feel the heat now.

So basically, we’ll hang curtains and shades like we did before, you won’t even see most of the windows. If these windows don’t leak and last a few years, we’ll be happy for the price we paid & we paid what the other companies quoted for the construction alone:/
  • Yulia_6a_Michigan
    3 years ago

Katie, I am also in GR and having the same dilemma with picking windows. What company did you ended up going with?