SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabetheva

Stacking ikea cabinets facing different ways

6 years ago

It's been a while since I've done an ikea project, and a lot of the resources I had bookmarked on ikea hacks seem to be broken webpages. I know I've seen something like this before.

I'm trying to find pictures and ideas on how to

- stack ikea cabinets facing different directions

- secure a tall Ikea cabinet to the wall sideways

We have 90" x 24" deep Ikea kitchen cabinets in our garage on the same wall as the door. At the end of the row I would like to add a base 24" x 24" x 24" facing the same direction as the other cabinets. Above the base I want to install a tall 68" x 24" x 24" cabinet turned perpendicular to the base so that faces the stairs and gives me easy access to puppy supplies, the vacuum and steam mop, etc. I would have to cut both of these cabinets down (from 30" and 80") in order to match the height of the stairs and the top of the other cabinets. I realize I could just turn a 90" cabinet and install a shelf at stair level but then i would lose access to the lower portion of the cabinet. I have cut down other ikea furniture before, but just items where all I had to do was drill new holes. I have cutting tools and I can do pocket holes but I don't have a router, and I can't remember if there is any routing anywhere other than for the back panel that would have to be recreated. I thought this was a pretty simple modification but all I can find are examples of width adjustments, which seems more complicated.

I assume I can just secure the tall unit traditionally without the rail, but the rail does make it a little easier to hang, so I wondered if anyone has modified a cabinet to use the rail on the side instead of the back.

Comments (3)