SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ghille

need help updating my study

ghille
6 years ago

My study is a pleasant little room just off our living room. I have frequent visits from grandchildren and so it has also become a storage room for toys, playroom ( less frequently) and a room where homework can be done. I like being able to post their art work, but I would also like to be able to have a sense of retreat here. Perhaps a more adult display... family pictures? Art work or posters?

I am ready to feel like it is more of a retreat area for me.

Thinking about color...I really dislike the color right now. I favor light, cooler colors like grey, blue or green, but I have wondered it it would be inviting to break my usual conservatism and choose a rich warm color with more intensity.

I want to keep my desk and the antique chest on the wall to the right of the desk. Also the table if possible because it is a quite handy for homework and overflow from my desktop when I am working on a project. The black file is just the right size. The walnut cabinet with the plant on it can be taken out entirely. The small bookcase can go...I probably need a new taller one. I can take out the fan and just have a new ceiling light. I like the rug. The light in this room is good for plants.

I think I could clean out the closet and add shelving to hold a few toys.

Windows: These are new windows. I like the view but need privacy at night. My dog jumps up at both windows when the postman comes so I need to use something that won't tear easily. I thought of shades or blinds with or without drapes. Or maybe just drapes that I could slide shut at night... Really stymied here,

Measurements: (wall that desk is on) 12 feet x 9'10" . windows 3'8" wide x 4'11". Each window is set in 12 inches from the corner.

Well, this is a lot of information, and any advice will be very much appreciated! This Grandma needs help!

Gail

Comments (25)