SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flyoffacliff

Basement Cold In Summer - Ideas To Correct?

Ben J
6 years ago

Single system installed in finished basement. In the summer, when the AC is running to cool the 1st and 2nd floors, the basement is often around 63 degrees. Basement supplies are mostly closed off, return is on the ceiling (which i'm told is "wrong" for a basement, should be down low). The options I have been given are a mini-split or electric baseboard heater in the basement. But i'm not a big fan of paying to run heat and AC at the same time in different rooms.

I would think I could take advantage of "free heating" by simply running a duct from outside to a basement register, with a fan to pull in hot outdoor air to warm the basement until a basement thermostat is satisfied at around 70 degrees. Humidity would be regulated by a dehumidifier in the basement. The "system" would be cheap too. Anyone see any problems with something like this?

Another option I thought of is two dedicated ducts to circulate air between basement and 2nd floor. This way, the naturally cold basement air would also help cool the 2nd floor, and vise-versa. Any opinions on this?

Thanks!

Comments (11)