SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alanna_migliacci

How to Reduce Shock when Repotting?

Alanna Migliacci
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have 8 citrus (plus several house plants) that I desperately need to repot. The current soil is peat mix that is compacted and the pots are too small. I'm afraid my trees are being stunted, but no root rot. I'm going to repot them into 511 or a variation of it. I will fully bareroot, since they are going into a completely different medium.

1) Should I wait until it's closer until they get to go outside or do it while they are still living inside? I am not concerned about mess, but about recovery. I wanted to do it now, so they have time to recover before I put them out and they start actively growing again, but not if it will cause problems for my trees that are desperate for winter to be over.

2) I've read lots of old posts regarding 511, including several from Al. I know there are ways to vary the mix to make it a little better for hot summer days. I won't be able to water my trees in the morning before work and I need to make sure they retain enough moisture to make it through a hot and sunny day. Al mentioned varying the mix, but warned of adding additional peat or small bark fines because the mix will become muddy. Suggestions on how exactly to make it more moisture retaining?

3) Is there anything I can do to reduce shock when doing such a drastic transplant?

4) Pot sizes - I always pot up to the next size, to eliminate a lot of extra room to prevent wet soil from damaging the roots. I know some of you pot of much larger with 511. What is best for the tree? Best to encourage fast growth?

5) Some tried need a bit of pruning. I assume I should wait until after they've recovered from the transplant?

6) I plan on air-layering a branch off a tree. Does that make a difference if I start that before the transplant?

I plan on using some combination of ReptiBark, Agway Bark, Coarse Perlite, Coarse sand, and Peat or a Peat-based mix. I'm overwhelmed by it all and I've read everything I could find, but I'm happy to take any suggestions you all might have!

I'm sure I'm forgetting some questions, so throw all your suggestions and opinions at me please.

Alanna

Comments (15)