SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krok_gw

Repotted wax jambu in shock

krok
12 years ago

Hi All,

I am new to tropical fruit growing and received a wax jambu from Plant-O-Gram Wed of last week. It sustained damage to the top growth during shipping which took off about 6-8 inches. At any rate it was doing fine but the container was split open down the side from the shipping and the soil it was in had lots of caterpillars, was heavy and wet and had a sickly sweet smell that smelled off. I was leaving it outside on our deck during the day. The temps were very mild in the 60's will very little sun lots of clouds and rain and bringing it at night since the temps were low 40's. On Sunday I decided to repot it and cut the pot off of it. The soil mostly fell away from the root ball in 2-3 huge clumps. The root ball was really small (smaller than I expected). I washed the rest off with the garden hose and planted it in a very very slightly larger pot with the 5-1-1 mix (with dolomite lime). The Ph is about 6.5-7. Watered very well but no fertilizer and brought it in again that night and it seemed fine. I asked my husband to take it outside before I left for work that morning as he was home. I told him the day before it needed to be in the shade for the next week or so. Anyway he finally took it out about 1 pm that day and it was sunny and nice (low 70's) but he put it in the sun, though he gave it about 2 cups of water during the day. When I came home I noticed the leaves had started to droop and had light brown areas on the underside (and that it was in the sun). The wilting has just gotten progressively worse. The leaves are a brown/green now and pretty curled and hanging on the branches. We've been watering it as needed and keeping it in the shade. The branches are still green but the leaves are definitely on their way to being gone. I gave it some MG quick start 2 days ago in an attempt to help the roots grow. Are wax jambus known to be sensitive to repotting? I've never had this happen before (the surinam cherry I got for free took to it's repotting just fine and I even did some root pruning to the bottom as it was definitely root bound. It's really disheartening as it's my first attempt at tropical fruit and I am so worried about this tree. Is there nothing to do but wait at this point? Will it come back? I've attached some pictures of when the wilting first started. It looks even worse now. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

May 10, 2011

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH