SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
b__tertzak

To Flare or Not Root Flare?

B. Tertzak
6 years ago

Hi all,

I'm quite new to almost all of this. And am really not sure how much root flare one ought to leave exposed...

Trying to balance an interest in mixes with the (as it were) proper way to plant... still not fully aware of where to stop when it comes to topdressing, and would like to err on the proverbial rather than do some lasting damage.

While admittedly semi-conscious that I may have shortchanged this palm when I decided to pot it "up" about a week ago, I'd hugely appreciate any input/info/advice re the proper/improper manner in which I've gone about coverIng this trunk/flare.

Having read that palms are particularly sensitive when it comes to having their roots tampered with, I've tried to hold back on both the mulch (a far from aesthetically pleasing variety at that) and -- perhaps more importantly (?) -- am vm on the fence re whether or not to fiddle around with a bunch of the creeping surface roots that were/are all over the place (the palm was pretty much ready to burst out of its prior pot).

Seems like covering a bunch of them with more mix or topdressing w compost would also end up burrying a chunk of the thicker (flare?) roots.

Apologies (in advance) for a somewhat overwrought post... I'd be grateful for even a mote of advice re how to go about the task at hand.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES