SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thetzone

STONE EXPERTS HELP FAST!

thetzone
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

So our Quartzite is being installed and so far every seam has been executed BEAUTIFULLY...however probably the most important seam, smack dab in the middle of a long stretch looks a hot FLIPPING MESS!!

It has a huge lip, is uneven and is downright awful.

They are telling me the stone is bowed and that “it is what it is”...

is that really the case? Does anyone know of any way to rectify this??

Please!!

*the picture doesn’t nearly show how rough and uneven it is*

also, I don’t care that the veining doesn’t match, we totally expected that

Comments (156)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

I’d have to describe this job as a “just missed”. These guys were so close to having a great installation and a satisfied customer. Tops were nice and level; the seams at the sink were very nice; the sink cut out corners were finished well and the sink reveals square and perfect. Had they spent $1,200.00 for Gorilla Grips and shimmed the main tops on plane to each other, there’d be nearly nothing to see here.

Yes, they could have tinted their seam adhesive more accurately and returned the top ends past the wall at the bar and right stove end. The stove wall and sink area have none of the shiny pattern funk, yet the suede finish is beautiful.

We see lots of clueless horrors, but few near misses. With the homeowners justifiably sitting on final payment (I’m not removing the funk pattern for free), these guys left all their profits lying on the countertop. And that’s sad.

thetzone thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

So Joseph, the question is, can the funk pattern be removed at all?

thetzone thanked groveraxle
  • Related Discussions

Tree experts, help with fast growing trees?

Q

Comments (10)
    hogmanay, Thanks� for the link, I'll check out the Cornell ext. Ken, Yes we will do the bulk of the planting in the fall. As I said we will be planting hard woods but since they can only be expected to be in leaf in this area for 5-6 months we need mostly evergreens to work as shade and wind blocking all year. What kind of Oak? The last batch of oak trees I planted, the last time I lived in this area grew at best a few inches a year. I had them in the ground for 8 years before I moved and they looked much the same as when I planted them. I will leave space in the back for a vegetable garden and any flower beds will be made to work around trees. The less grass the better.
    ...See More

Stone flooring experts please help

Q

Comments (0)
    We have had some many problems with our build and here is another. We decided to use solid 3/4 hardwoods over a routine subfloor of plywood. We now want to use stone travertine in the kitchen. No additional subfloor was added under the hardwoods. How high will my kitchen floors be now? I have 16 inch stones and they seem 1 cm thick. How do I proceed now? IS there a way to use thinner materials to not have the floors so unlevel?
    ...See More

Stone experts please help...possible rust stain

Q

Comments (4)
    hi all.. Thank you lazydaisy..I appreciate your taking the time to chime in even though your are not an "expert." I just took another look at my problem area, and I began scrapping at it with my fingernail...And the residue started breaking up...A good Thing! .. I think it may just be hard water calcium build-up after all... So I'm going to attempt to get rid of it that way first..I think I can do that without using any chemicals. boylanite...its a Delta Talbott 16968... davidrol..I appreciate your response but I'm not sure if you understood...The "build-up" is actually on the granite..not the faucet or sink...But maybe I just misunderstood your response??? Anyway, hopefully this is just a case of hard-water calcium deposits. Living where I live I think I know how to deal with that issue! KA:)
    ...See More

Stone experts: What's up with quartzite?

Q

Comments (54)
    We have Quartzite Bianca and had our fabricator test it (ketchup/lime juice/oil) prior to installation and no stains or etches. Unfortunately, after installation, turns out it etches with water. The issue is the resin applied at the quarry (all stone over the past decade has resin applied, mostly for color enhancement) is reacting to acids. You don't think of water being an acid, but it can be depending on the pH. Technically, what etches is a reaction between calcite in the stone (e.g., marble, limestone, travertine) and an acid. Since quartzite does not contain calcite.. etching is caused by the reaction between the resin and the acid which explains why two people with the same stone experience different things re: etching. Depends on the quarry and resin used. I've removed the etching with baking soda, which also means water is not etching the stone, but the surface.. Your fabricator can also rebuff the stone to get the etches off. Won't cure the long-term problem, but can get rid of what etching you currently have. As to sealers.. once I read about people with this stone having oil stains, I researched sealers. I was told silicone-based sealers do a great job repelling water, but attract oil based stains, so I switched to a product by Stone Products (www.superiorstone.com) which is a flouropolymer--a smaller molecule than silicone which means it fills the voids better and does not attract oil stains.
    ...See More
  • thetzone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes seriously...had they not come up with the “bowed stone” excuse and just buffed out my tops and leveled that seam...they would have gotten paid and there would be nothing to see here.

I’m really thankful that Joseph made the trip out to see our tops and appreciate his expertise

• Hillside House
    6 years ago

What is your plan for underneath the counter? Will you just patch, or trim it out? Or leave it?

thetzone thanked Hillside House
  • thetzone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ya know I keep forgetting about that mess....Joseph said it will hold, it’s just horribly ugly...I was trying to figure out what the hell to do but I’m really at a loss!

• thetzone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Still a hard pill to swallow that I spent $450 on “invisible” steel supports to be left with this...

• javiwa
    6 years ago

FWIW, we'll end up laying a piece of moulding under there to cover our gap -- DH will cut notches in the moulding to accommodate the brackets. So, almost invisible. Invisible enough. :)

thetzone thanked javiwa
  • thetzone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That was what my husband suggested too Javiwa! I think it’s more frustrating because of the time we took installing them “properly”...oh well this too shall pass am I right?!

• Hillside House
    6 years ago

Yeah, I would probably just put some trim up and call it good.

• thetzone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think the saving grace to this whole thing is how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE this Cygnus Quartzite/Granite/whatever...it literally looks like a slab of knotty wood which is just exactly what I wanted...

I just finished sealing this side (because it doesn’t have the speckly funk or any crazy seams)

• VH
    6 years ago
    So I must preface my comment with the fact that I have Neolith, a man-made product and not natural stone, so my experience may not be applicable at all. That being said...

After my island surface was installed, I noticed a large ring on one end. I played with the lighting on the attached picture so you can better see the mark. It wasn’t as dark in person but noticeable at certain angles. I used different cleaners and scrubbed to no avail so called the fabricator. A tech came out and said, “oh, that’s probably from one of the clamps we used on the slab at some point.” He took out some denatured alcohol, wiped it down, et voila, mark completely gone.

Your cheetah marks look suspiciously like bubble wrap. Don’t know if you’ve tried denatured alcohol yet, but it might be worth a little spot test.
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

"So Joseph, the question is, can the funk pattern be removed at all?"

They have been removed from the lower corner in my last picture.

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

Out of curiosity, I understand Joe that you wanted to be paid to finish removing the pattern which makes total sense but what I'm not understanding is why the OP didn't have you do it while you were there..

• Olga Kramar
    6 years ago
    Generally, when a sub messes something up and says he can’t fix it, I’ve learned to believe him. He’s telling you he has reached the limit of his skills. Hire a highly experienced, very skilled, tradesperson. Pay them their high fee, and magic, problems solved. Yes, it costs, but the mental wear and tear of watching someone with limited skill try to fix their screw-up is not worth it, and will seldom achieve a satisfactory result.
  • Olga Kramar
    6 years ago
    You said your gut told you ahead of time, you had a bad feeling about this installer. Trust your intuition. I recently watched a dishwasher repairman start to disassemble my dishwasher for the repair. His lack of experience was obvious to me, and at some point his technique risked damaging an expensive part. I told him to stop work, as in stop, right now. I called his boss and asked to schedule with someone more experienced.
    thetzone thanked Olga Kramar
  • PRO
    Quartz - Stone Care, Cleaning & Repair Experts
    6 years ago

dtrivino grab some MEK and remove the pattern yourself. It will take it straight off without affecting the stone. Reseal after you have finished

dtrivino Ps your photo from under the counter, the so called shims will need sorting out as this will cause a point load on the stone overtime.

thetzone thanked Quartz - Stone Care, Cleaning & Repair Experts
  • thetzone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Tedbixby, joe only came for a free estimate of sorts. To get a feel for the job and let me know how much it would costs and if it could be removed. He indicated it would take several hours for him to buff out the funky pattern on the surface. Right now we are sending the installer a certified letter documenting the whole thing so hopefully we can all avoid small claims court.

• thetzone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

QSCCRE: I’m not sure what MEK is? I’m not a professional :)

Also, I don’t think they have been sealed at all. Although their absorption rate is minimal. I’m using Drytreat Meta Creme for the counters.

also, which shims? The dollops of caulk?? Ugh I figured, is there any way to rectify that without removing the bar top completely

• thetzone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Olga I agree. It’s very clear this fabricator doesn’t have the skill set or desire to finish his job properly. Which is precisely why I am not relinquishing his final payment...

I should have trusted my gut but I trusted him when he said he was 100% confident in the job and the work he performs.

oh well lesson learned!

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

MEK = Methyl Ethyl Ketone. If it were me, I'd have a fabricator come in and assess before using a solvent anywhere, though. Just my opinion.

thetzone thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • thetzone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks 2Many! I do have a few sample cut out pieces that have the speckled funk on them so maybe I can test it on those pieces before I attempt the whole counter of course?

• javiwa
    6 years ago

OP: Do you have any scraps/leftovers you could use as testers?

ETA: Ooops...never mind.

thetzone thanked javiwa
  • 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

"so maybe I can test it on those pieces before I attempt the whole counter of course?" and what javiwa said : )

I'm no fabricator, and don't know how seams are put together, but if the MEK works, I'd check before I got MEK near a seam or any chip repairs. Again, I'm not a professional. Maybe someone else can chime in.

• thetzone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I agree, I’m not going near seams with anything and luckily we have no chip repairs so that’s good. I’m going to test on a small piece first

• thetzone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just tried MEK and it didn’t budge =(

• thetzone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

And denatured alcohol didn’t do anything either. This stuff is stuck there it seems without some major elbow grease

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

I'm assuming from the photo above, Joseph was able to remove it somehow?

• thetzone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

2Many, yes he was able to! I was trying to exhaust a few DIY methods because I’m concerned our installer might decide to take us to small claims court for the rest of his money. Once I get his official reply (and the assurance we won’t have to pay him the remaining $1200) to our certified letter I will proceed with having Joe come out to finish the repair!

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

Ah, OK, I understand now. I wish you luck : )

• thetzone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you 2Many, like I said...I love my stone I just wish our install could have gone better!

• PRO
    6 years ago

2ManyDiversions We are Stonemasons and fabricators so we do know what we are doing.

dtrivino MEK and a scrubbing pad - non scratch type. Let the MEK soak for about 2-5 minutes to an area, reapply and scrub off with a buffing pad like either of these two. You have a leathered finish so will not affect it

Option 1 Scrubbing pad

Preferred Option for Scrubbing Pad

It will come off as it is excess sealer.....

NOTE only applicable to the above situation, do not do this on polished surfaces without confirming in a small test area.

• thetzone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I’m not positive it is excess sealer because my installer assured me that he does not seal his work...judging by his level of expertise or lack thereof I am inclined to believe he didn’t seal it. I will attempt the MEK with a scrub pad though

• PRO
    6 years ago

From the photos it is a film on the surface which has been made by something, and because it is very hard to remove I would 99% confidently say it is a sealer or color enhancer of some sorts. Color enhancers are also sealers. Just someone has not wiped off the excess before loading and stacking together. Just do not go near the seams or what joseph has attempted to repair at the seam. It will pull off his sharpie coloring in.

Again you need to let the MEK do its thing. If it is Tenax ager etc a little kerosene added to the mek will help it lift easier. though can be smelly.

We hear all the time.... it did not do it!

• thetzone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It’s actually working!!!! So how do I clean it after the MEK?? Just acetone and then seal it??

• PRO
    6 years ago

No, acetone derivative of MEK. It's not just about the product you use, but how you apply it.

Once you have all the excess sealer gone, you need to use a clean white cloth and soak the cloth with MEK and wipe over again, but this time use a clean white cloth with nothing on it to wipe off the excess.

I would highly recommend only using Drytreat Meta Creme to seal it as you will never have to seal it again.

http://www.drytreat.com/sealers/residential/meta-creme.html

Ps, of cause it works :) , we are Master stonemasons after all and have been doing this for 30 years. Plus would be alot quicker than the non stonemason you had look at it.

I would also go over the joins, and clean them as they are hazy from the attempted repair. Then just use some Ravens Oil applied with a cotton tip to the join before you seal it all again.

Old school stonemasons, use acetone or mek to clean granite so it cleans all the contaminants from it.

• thetzone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I am using Dry Treat Meta Creme actually so that’s no problem! Oh ok perfect, see you can clearly tell I have ZERO idea what I am doing but I do appreciate the help!!

• PRO
    6 years ago

All good, We would rather you do it than someone who thinks they can. At least you have the right information and advice then. Plus we want to see you enjoy your stone counter as they should be.

It's not difficult to access the issues from the photos as we know what we are doing. We just need clearly focused photos and a description of what is the issue.

The Meta Creme if you apply it overnight is best, apply it 3-4mm thick and wait an hour. It will go from a creme to a clear liquid. You will notice some spots where it has soaked in and you will need to reapply it there. Check again in another 1 hour for any meta creme missing spots and leave overnight.

Then just wipe off the excess in the morning with a clean cloth. Microfibers are best for this as they will easily get rid of the excess

PS: DO NOT get any MEK on any other surfaces including timber, cabinets etc as it will strip the finish.

NOTE: DO NOT use MEK for any application or procedure on any surface including stone or quartz as you WILL DAMAGE IT! If you have an specific issue post on houzz or the stone fabricators alliance forum

• thetzone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That’s actually what I did with the meta Creme on a section of our counter that wasn’t affected with the spots so I’m glad I’m following the right protocol. So the MEK wont damage our Quartzite at all?? I just want to be sure before I proceed...

• PRO
    6 years ago

No MEK will not damage any Natural stone, as long as you use it as we have said.

It will pull out any normal impregnating microporosity sealer as they are plastics resins. But will not affect Meta Creme.

Just do not get it on your cabinet doors, if you get it on your tiles that will be ok, but better to work in small areas. Also make sure you clean where someone has attempted to repair the issues on the surface

As we have NO IDEA what he would have done, and because he is not a stonemason, who knows!. Hopefully he has not "BUFFED" the surface as it will cause a change in the finish. The colour will be lighter in that area if he has. But can address that issue if it has occured.

Greetings from Australia. lol

We would recommend that you do ALL THE COUNTER even where the meta creme you have applied, as i would say it has not penetrated and the MEK will pull out the plastic sealer they have obviously used. So the Meta Creme can penetrate and bind correctly.

• thetzone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well I truly appreciate all of your advice! I’m going to purchase another quart of the Meta Creme Sealer and really go to town with it after all of this is said and done. Thanks again for helping. I truly appreciate everyone who has come to help with these issues and look forward to having my beautiful Leathered countertop back!

• PRO
    6 years ago

About your shims, you should use a neutral cure silicone only to seal between the cabinets and stone.

NOTE: ONLY USE neutral cure otherwise you WILL GET a dark bleed to the surface.

Pump in enough to fill the gaps and use some Denaturalised alcohol in a spray bottle and remove the excess. The DA will prevent you from spreading it everywhere.

Not sure what you call it there but use something like these makes life 100 x easier

https://www.bunnings.com.au/paint-partner-4-piece-silicone-scraper-set_p1660196

Only use something like Sika which is available around the world as your Caulk Has to be for stone. But we know that Sika will not cause bleeding.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/sika-300ml-stone-sikaseal-kitchen-and-bathroom-silicone-sealant_p1210409

One quart should be enough to do your entire counters, it will take as much as it need to take and then it can not take anymore..... Just make sure you follow are instructions for applying it and you will be fine. As we are authorised applicators of Dry Treat products.

Again, All Good, we are on here to make sure the right advice is out there for Care, Cleaning etc for any stone surface.

• thetzone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ughhh the installers used regular silicone ALLLLL OVER the place....what do I do?!

• PRO
    6 years ago

The problem with regular silicone is that you can get a bleed, though it should be fine.

But make sure you seal your tops with Meta Creme ASAP as this should stop the bleed issue from cheap nasty silicone. Quartzite because it is a metamorphic dimensional stone suffers from bleed very badly.

Meta Creme structurally alters the bonds in the stone making them non friable and in doing so can make this bleed issue not an issue.

If you do not seal them with Meta Creme then the bleed from the wrong silicone will become an issue. Also any stonemason knows you can not use silicones on any natural stone. Its one of the Golden rules.

PS: a white, neutral cure silicone would be best as you have huge gaps.

Your overhangs should have been manufactured this way as it applies to all stone.

• PRO
    6 years ago

This just proves a point of not knowing how to fix any stone, we don't have a disclaimer nor does anyone else that knows what they are doing.

Scary actually, that Kowboys are still allowed to roam around.

• thetzone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sooo is there any reason that the MEK might work on one section and not another?? Last night the funk came off like a charm in one section and now it’s not budging on another

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

dtrivino:

Careful with the MEK, please. You can't blow your house up with MB20 on a hog's hair pad.

thetzone thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • thetzone
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Joe, I gave up...it wasn’t working like I thought! I think I was delusionally hopefull!! I think I’m going to give up on DIY tactics and wait until I hear back from the fabricator so I can proceed to have it repaired correctly.

so do I have to worry about it blowing up the house once it’s dry?? Now I’m freaking out about the small section I did

• kudzu9
    6 years ago

"Blowing up" refers only to the fact that MEK is a flammable solvent, so flames and sparks (smoking, turning on a switch, using a power tool around it) are not good things to have in the vicinity when you're at work as there is a smelly cloud of potentially flammable fumes. Once you quit working with it and the odor has pretty much dissipated, you no longer have an issue. So don't worry...you haven't turned the countertop into TNT.

However, it's always a good idea to work with good ventilation, and to wear a respirator with canisters that are specifically for organic fumes.

thetzone thanked kudzu9
  • PRO
    6 years ago

dtrivino like above always use as the bottle directs, in a well ventilated area. Interesting a certain person always has to put 2 cents worth in. It is no more flammable than the denatured alcohol that you used.

You need to let the mek sit on the surface to active with the sealer, it takes time and patience. The other area must have a lot more sealer on them.

You can try Xylene as we do not know what they have used as the sealer and they all have different release agents. But I would add about 5% kerosene to your MEK as I would assume it is a Tenax product.

I would stick with MEK, try saturating the surface in the area you are working and get a razor blade on an 30o angle to remove some of the excess sealer from the surface. This will allow the MEK to penetrate. You just need to allow the MEK penetrate the resins in the dried, excess sealer that is laying on top of the stone. It is not a five minute fix or easy to know what to do, why your installer has run away.

About the IDIOT! that told you, you could blow up your house... he is a moron! Like any solvent it evaporates, Sealers have a majority of carriers like MEK or xylene which evaporate as they dry....

The comments above about, MB20 is a polish for granite only works on granite for polishing, not removal of ager. A hogs hair is coarser than a white scotchbrite pad. It just goes to show this person has no idea.

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

Quartz - Stone Care, Cleaning & Repair Experts, “2ManyDiversions We are Stonemasons and fabricators so we do know what we are doing.”

I understand this. Your first response was this: “grab some MEK and remove the pattern yourself”. Knowing MEK is a solvent, I simply stated such, said I was not a professional (in granite) and said hopefully someone else would chime in. Meaning with further info, as I felt it needed. It was needed.

It wasn’t until later that you gave detailed instructions. Offense was not intended. Again, I was only requesting the possible need for more info.

Frankly, I think you are honestly trying to help the OP, but solvents are flammable, and care should be taken around appliances and flames. The OP is tired and stressed, and instructions/warnings on an MEK container might have been missed.

Calling anyone here on GW an “IDIOT” is offensive, though I see it a lot. Posting a link to someone’s past that has nothing to do with the topic is counterproductive and, in my eyes, seems unnecessarily vindictive. When one calls themselves a professional, they should behave as such. If you take offense to my opinions/comments, I will not respond as taking part in what appears to be an ongoing pi$$ ing contest is disadvantageous to the OP’s request for help.

ET Correct: One-sided pi$$ ing contest.

And also ETA: I see you have removed the link mentioned above. Good.